U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 09:18 PM

6 posts, read 7,078 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I'm relocating to the DC area come October, so I am preemptively searching out suitable living quarters. My long-time friend from Brooklyn will be joining me in the same area, and thus, we thought it would be conducive to both of our financial situations to share a two-bedroom apartment.

Facts:
-We both are reliant on vehicles, enjoy our vehicles, and want an area to store such vehicles.
-His job will be based in Annandale, VA, whilst mine will be in DC at 12th/Independence (just over the bridge).
-We are exclusively looking for apartments in Virginia, due to the rural areas to the west and non-obtrusive gun laws.
-Both of our incomes will be a little over $70,000/each, for a combined total of $142,000.
-We're both 23, but me personally, I'm not much interested in the nightlife scene.

Criteria:
-Two bedroom apartment between $1400-$1800.
-Non-highrise type apartments.
-A "tucked away" apartment complex, preferably surrounded by some remnants of a wooded area.
-Washer/dryer/balcony type deal.
-Non-urban area.
-A *safe* place to park the Ducati's..
-A reasonable commute to both working areas - possibly off the metro line, but not if this sacrifices the quality of the area.

Does anybody live in such a place, or can recommend one?

Much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 09:40 PM

1,994 posts, read 2,921,328 times
If you're only interested in Virginia, and not DC, then you should instead be posting in the dedicated forum for Northern Virginia. The people that check that forum are very knowledgeable about the Virginia suburbs.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:29 PM

361 posts, read 735,404 times
Kingstowne? Springfield?

Old 08-08-2012, 11:49 PM
yrb

91 posts, read 196,059 times
There are no $1400-$1800 two bedroom apartments in any "quality areas". This is not Tucson.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:03 AM

163 posts, read 195,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrb View Post
There are no $1400-$1800 two bedroom apartments in any "quality areas". This is not Tucson.
Lol

Old 08-09-2012, 06:12 AM

2,772 posts, read 3,640,334 times
Quote:
Complete and utter crap. There are plenty of 2brs for that price. I would suggest you look into Commons of McLean which have very nice units in a very nice location in Tysons Corner.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:49 AM

84 posts, read 194,656 times
I would also recommend looking into different apartment complexes on Columbia Pike. There might be some homes in your price range, and if you are not dependent on Metro, commute by car would be convenient to both Annandale and DC. However, it might be more urban than you like.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:55 AM

617 posts, read 1,151,869 times
Welcome to the area. Just because of the address you posted, I'm curious if you're working for Treasury or Agriculture, by chance?

Anyway, based on what you posted, I might look at Merrifield. Your roommate will have an easy commute down to Annandale by 495 or backroads, and you'll be near Dunn Loring or West Falls Church metro which takes you right into the city; the Smithsonian metro stop is right near the work address you posted.

Merrifield hits most of what you're looking for, and it's where I lived with roommates for a few years after we graduated college. We lived in an Archstone complex, and at the time, a 3-bedroom townhouse rented for $1,800/month (this was 2004 and 2005), and it came with a washer and dryer, no balcony though. Seeing as you're looking for a two bedroom place and the economy hasn't exactly improved since then, they'd probably have something in your price range.

As far as safety, we never felt unsafe; hell Fairfax Hospital (one of the best in the area) was literally a two block walk down the street. The one thing that was annoying was they had militant towing contracts; people could purchase parking spaces to reserve them, but the reserved marks weren't easy to see in the dark. Each of us got towed at least once, as did guests.

The other thing...Merrifield can have kind of an urban feel. It wasn't like that so much when I lived there, but it's been built up a bit since I left; there's a giant fancy gym, a bunch of good restaurants. But it is near wooded neighborhoods like the Woodburn area, and there are a few parks nearby if you need some sort of solace. And hell, driving west our Route 50 or 66 will get you to the rural settings you like so much.

Honestly, besides the possible urban feel, I think Merrifield might be a good option for the two of you.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:43 AM

2,612 posts, read 4,752,803 times
Is a Ducati a motorcycle? I hope this is not your transportation to work. NoVa roads are notoriously dangerous for bikers. They are not suitable commuting vehicles unless you want to drastically shorten your lifespan.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:52 AM

6 posts, read 7,078 times
Quote:
I disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
Complete and utter crap. There are plenty of 2brs for that price. I would suggest you look into Commons of McLean which have very nice units in a very nice location in Tysons Corner.
Excellent. This is the type of place I'm looking for, and matches basically all of our criteria. We're going to look into it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forehead View Post
Welcome to the area. Just because of the address you posted, I'm curious if you're working for Treasury or Agriculture, by chance?

Anyway, based on what you posted, I might look at Merrifield. Your roommate will have an easy commute down to Annandale by 495 or backroads, and you'll be near Dunn Loring or West Falls Church metro which takes you right into the city; the Smithsonian metro stop is right near the work address you posted.

Merrifield hits most of what you're looking for, and it's where I lived with roommates for a few years after we graduated college. We lived in an Archstone complex, and at the time, a 3-bedroom townhouse rented for $1,800/month (this was 2004 and 2005), and it came with a washer and dryer, no balcony though. Seeing as you're looking for a two bedroom place and the economy hasn't exactly improved since then, they'd probably have something in your price range.

As far as safety, we never felt unsafe; hell Fairfax Hospital (one of the best in the area) was literally a two block walk down the street. The one thing that was annoying was they had militant towing contracts; people could purchase parking spaces to reserve them, but the reserved marks weren't easy to see in the dark. Each of us got towed at least once, as did guests.

The other thing...Merrifield can have kind of an urban feel. It wasn't like that so much when I lived there, but it's been built up a bit since I left; there's a giant fancy gym, a bunch of good restaurants. But it is near wooded neighborhoods like the Woodburn area, and there are a few parks nearby if you need some sort of solace. And hell, driving west our Route 50 or 66 will get you to the rural settings you like so much.

Honestly, besides the possible urban feel, I think Merrifield might be a good option for the two of you.
Thanks for the in-depth reply! We're also going to examine locales in close proximity to the West Falls Church Metro station - seems like a decent area. And negative, I am not with the Treasury or Agriculture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
Is a Ducati a motorcycle? I hope this is not your transportation to work. NoVa roads are notoriously dangerous for bikers. They are not suitable commuting vehicles unless you want to drastically shorten your lifespan.
Yes we both ride motorcycles; my friend plans on taking his to Annandale daily, whereas I'll be taking either the metro or a bus into DC for work each day. That being said, we still want a safe place to store them, since they are relatively expensive bikes. And we plan on taking weekend trips westward into Virginia.

Any additional suggestions are welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia