U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 11:46 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,834,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Wow. So Loudoun actually maintains the vegetation near its trails? Arlington has let everything be covered by English Ivy, giant weeds, and kudzu.
Sorry to hear that. It's something to check out before buying a home in a neighborhood, I guess. It's funny how people sometimes put so much effort into looking at houses but barely look around the neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
While I like walking trails, and they are often scenic, I am a little nervous about their being hidden. In Chapel Hill, there are tons of walking paths to school, but I find them to be a bit isolated. For me, it's a safety factor. Of course children should always walk in pairs or groups, but I still think of some stalker hiding back in the trees and preying on two schoolgirls. At least on an open street, there are cars going by and it's more in the open. If something happens, another person is more likely to see.
I guess in this way my neighborhood is lucky. The trails run behind houses so there's always plenty of SAHMs at home and able to see what's going on. Especially in the morning--it's not unusual to see people having a cup of coffee out on the deck and watching the kids walk by. Also, the kids walking to school have plenty of other kids walking in groups in front and in back of them, not to mention the morning joggers and dog walkers. In the middle of the day it's possible to walk a trail and not see other people, but when the kids are walking to school there's usually quite a few people out and about.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:56 AM

8,772 posts, read 10,674,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
While I like walking trails, and they are often scenic, I am a little nervous about their being hidden. In Chapel Hill, there are tons of walking paths to school, but I find them to be a bit isolated. For me, it's a safety factor. Of course children should always walk in pairs or groups, but I still think of some stalker hiding back in the trees and preying on two schoolgirls. At least on an open street, there are cars going by and it's more in the open. If something happens, another person is more likely to see.

I tend to agree. While I enjoy walking on trails like the Cross County trail, I think trail connections present a safety (vis a vis crime) issue, when compared to a street grid. Not that theres always eyes on every street, but since the street you have both the walkers/cyclists AND the drivers, the odds are better.

Also of course the trails only solve one problem - the connectivity for peds. They do not solve the problem of dispering the auto traffic.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Sorry to hear that. It's something to check out before buying a home in a neighborhood, I guess. It's funny how people sometimes put so much effort into looking at houses but barely look around the neighborhood.

I think most people look around the neighborhood - but there are many different factors to look at.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post

Also of course the trails only solve one problem - the connectivity for peds. They do not solve the problem of dispering the auto traffic.
Ah, de ja vu. This argument again. Well, here's the answer that goes with it: This is exactly why many people prefer the cul de sac design. They don't want thru traffic going through their neighborhood.

What will probably follow will be people who say they like the grid design, and others who say they like the cul de sac design. Someone will say "Kids are safer walking on a street where there are lots of cyclists and cars and other people walking around. After which someone will say "walking on a busy grid street didn't help Etan Patz." Then someone else will say "bad things can happen anywhere and you can only protect children so much before you start becoming over protective and hurting them."

The cul de sac lovers will say "it's safer because traffic is lighter and cars tend to drive more slowly. You see more kids out playing in the cul de sac neighborhoods, especially at the ends of the streets where people tend to gather."

In the end nobody will convince anyone to change their mind. In six months it will all get started again, I guess in the hopes that if you keep starting this topic you'll get a different response. Never happens, but just like those who keep starting Obama birther threads, I guess hope springs eternal. Wash, rinse, repeat.

So how does a thread like this end? Usually like this:

"Different strokes for different folks. Whether you like grid streets or cul de sacs, ain't it great the northern VA has plenty of both so you can find a place where you'd like to live."

Old 08-09-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
The cul de sac lovers will say "it's safer because traffic is lighter and cars tend to drive more slowly.."
but narrower streets and/or traffic calming can also slow traffic, and deter through traffic, while still allowing neighborhood drivers through.

Quote:
"Different strokes for different folks. Whether you like grid streets or cul de sacs, ain't it great the northern VA has plenty of both so you can find a place where you'd like to live ."
except cul de sacs mean more traffic on the arterials, which effects people who don't live on them, and to the extent they lead to more vehicle miles traveled, they effect everyone who lives on the planet (if we would appropriately price carbon, I would drop the last concern, but that still leaves the transportation impact).

Anyone this started when someone said there are lots kids walking to school in Vienna and I suggested the grid there helps.

Saying something positive about a community I like (Vienna) does not have to be read as an attack on some other community. I suspect if everytime you said something positive about LoCo, someone jumped in to explain why that feature wasnt so great, and then that person got defensive about their community when you explained why you thought it was a good feature, you just might find that annoying.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:45 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,635,209 times
Quote:
Wow. So Loudoun actually maintains the vegetation near its trails? Arlington has let everything be covered by English Ivy, giant weeds, and kudzu.
I'd bet it's maintained by Caladium's HOA, not the county.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:53 PM

here's a piece on alternatives to cul de sacs

The cul-de-sac's one redeeming quality: Spaces for children - Greater Greater Washington

Old 08-09-2012, 01:09 PM

518 posts, read 1,292,855 times
Quote:
Arlington used to maintain its landscaping, but then found it cheaper to create "wildflower" gardens, which in reality have become large areas of weeds. Wildflower gardens need to be maintained as well.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:21 PM

5,738 posts, read 8,940,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvine View Post
Arlington used to maintain its landscaping, but then found it cheaper to create "wildflower" gardens, which in reality have become large areas of weeds. Wildflower gardens need to be maintained as well.
Yeah, they don't maintain anything whatsoever. Even in the parks, half of the trees are being eaten up by ivy. We still have trees from the derecho that are lying severed next to the bike paths.

If it doesn't have to do with 1. affordable housing, 2. huge commercial development, or 3. multimillion-dollar building projects (like the new aquatics center most people don't want, the streetcar, or the various new "spraygrounds" they're inserting into previously tranquil small parks), the County isn't interested.

It's why I always vote against the incumbent in County Board elections (even though that means I vote for a Republican, whereas I vote Democratic on everything else).

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 08-09-2012 at 02:01 PM.. Reason: 3PM typing syndrome
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or