U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 07:50 AM

8,479 posts, read 5,869,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
At 9:30 in the morning? I think there's a church basement waiting for you.

I met my wife in a church basement (well social hall actually) Yay for liberal minded churches that rent space to synagogues! yay for tree lined, griddy, peaceful, lovely, walkable, Victorian, Bolton Hill! yay for Baltimore!

I will wait to drink till evening though. From my home I could walk to a Korean place and have a nice warm glass of sake!

More likely tonight will be Chabad, and some disgusting sweet kosher wine (not hipster Israeli kosher wine either) which COULD be within walking distance, except Little River Turnpike is a traffic sewer, and still unwalkable over the beltway. Boo for traffic sewers! Boo for auto centrism! Boo for having to drive on shabbos!

NextYear in Jerusalem - or failing that, Next Year in an urban village in Arlington!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 07:52 AM

4,129 posts, read 3,752,107 times
I was an Episcopal acolyte (altar boy). Guess what the communion wine was. Manischewitz burgundy! (Which I guess is fitting to represent the blood of Christ, since Jesus was a Jew.)

Old 08-10-2012, 07:56 AM

1,306 posts, read 1,552,859 times
Quote:
Atta girl!

Alas, I don't think it's on track to happen unless we can get get some persnickety back-and-forth going. I'll lay the groundwork.

Fern: Maine is just a Massachusetts with less-selective state universities and more crustaceans. BrooklynBornDad: Walkability is just for people who have too many DUIs to drive anymore. Caladium: "Loudoun" has too many vowels. Plus, nothing ever happens there. It should be called "Quietdoun." MichGC: Your BBQ down there has VINEGAR in it?!?! ACWhite: I regularly use your neighborhood as a shortcut to get to Washington Blvd. (Sorry.) Irvine: "Baton" is not a band instrument. (Though it may be an Olympic event now. I mean, if ping pong is in the Olympics...) CaliTerp: As you're from Santa Barbara, we all know you were really transported to school in a gilded sedan chair, drawn by Arabian horses.
How 'bout you come up and say that to the good people of Maine. Dare ya. Double dare ya!

Regarding walking in NoVA: I walked whenever possible (or parked in a safe, less crowded area and walked) because driving wasn't very pleasant or relaxing. The only challenge I faced when walking to school with my daughter would be moms with huge strollers who would take up the entire sidewalk. They would act obnoxious and expect everyone to move for them.

Well, maybe it's time to post this persnickety thing: The contraction "it's" is for use in place of "it is" or "it has"--not as a possessive pronoun. That would be "its." Even a few NoVA residents chronically make this mistake. Not Carlingtonian, of course!

Old 08-10-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
How 'bout you come up and say that to the good people of Maine. Dare ya. Double dare ya!
What're you gonna do--sic your attack moose on me? Have Stephen King send me a creepy e-mail that'll give me nightmares? (OK, that would actually work.) Piscatiquis, Millinocket, Aroostook--what, did someone from Serbia name all your rivers and counties? (Heh, heh...) I think Loudoun County will lend you some vowels to go with all those consonants. (Oh, snap!)

Re. its vs it's: Amen. We're the last of a breed. (I find that the easiest way to get people to understand it is to tell 'em that "its" is like "his" and "hers.")

Maybe, if it's not safe for the kids to walk to school, and they're cutting the bus services, we can teach kids to drive little cars. We let 15-year-olds drive; how much worse could it be?

Old 08-10-2012, 08:15 AM

8,479 posts, read 5,869,334 times
Quote:
I was an Episcopal acolyte (altar boy). Guess what the communion wine was. Manischewitz burgundy! (Which I guess is fitting to represent the blood of Christ, since Jesus was a Jew.)
The church in Bolton Hill was Presby. The neighboring Episcopal church (another of several activist churches on the Hill) had a monthly social event on Saturday afternoon, that justified a denominational nick name. We went once after synagogue (a friend invited us) and of course I could walk back, through lovely, walkable, Bolton Hill.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:00 AM

5,824 posts, read 5,953,230 times
Quote:
Atta girl!

Alas, I don't think it's on track to happen unless we can get get some persnickety back-and-forth going. I'll lay the groundwork.

...MichGC: Your BBQ down there has VINEGAR in it?!?!...Irvine: "Baton" is not a band instrument. (Though it may be an Olympic event now. I mean, if ping pong is in the Olympics...)....
Nice try, but I'm a vegetarian and am therefore neutral on the BBQ debate. Now, the "baton is not a band instrument" comment, I cannot let go. I can spin my arm faster and longer with a heavy metal stick than the drummers can bang on their drums and I got to wear long vinyl white boots besides. (It was I who twirled baton, not Irving.)

Old 08-10-2012, 10:17 AM

Doh! I somehow double-whammied Irvine--accusing him of baton twirling! I fear I've made an enemy for life!

I too was in band. The uniforms--oh god. I had a white tassel sticking of out my head. Being in HS marching band meant putting in all the before-school/after-school hours required of the athletes (along with the coachlike egos of the hypercompetitive band directors) but with none of the glory. I will tell my son: "Play any sport whatsoever! Or play the violin. Just stay out of marching band. Remember, son: Chris Botti is the first and last guy to ever get laid by playing a brass instrument."

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 08-10-2012 at 10:36 AM..

Old 08-10-2012, 10:18 AM

2,012 posts, read 2,846,056 times
If my kids (who will be in Pre-K this year in Ashburn Farm six miles away and therefore will be driven to school) get into the kindergarten we are currently zoned for (both LoCo elementary schools in Brambleton are in overflow, so there's a get-to-registration-at-dawn-or-get-bused-to-Loudoun-Valley-Estates scene going on), it will be 0.3 miles from our house. Ideally, I would walk them. In reality, this is a death wish. LCPS will not consider anyone west of Belmont Ridge Rd. a "walker" because it is a 45-mph divided four-lane with no light or crosswalk marked at the intersection in front of the school. Dump trucks, concrete trucks, and entitled residents barrel through there going 55+. This has gotten worse over the years; when my kids were babies, I had no reservations about pushing them across in their stroller, going halfway to the median, waiting for the other side to clear, then going the rest of the way. I wouldn't walk across by myself now during morning rush.

Buses are provided from our side of the neighborhood but some people are reluctant to let their special snowflakes stand around outside in weather of any kind. This situation means that dropoff is a giant fustercluck of cars crammed onto small neighborhood streets. The parents dropping off do such hideously illegal things that there are regular callouts (with descriptions, license plates, and sometimes photos) on our neighborhood message board. And the school boundaries are drawn such that except for a tiny sliver of homes in the Village of Waxpool, most of the 1100 kids live in the part of Brambleton north of Creighton Road; these are our own neighbors with children who show such blatant disregard for the safety of others. So then kids who technically are "walkers" are endangered and stop walking too.

My kids would love to ride the bus, but as an overweight person, I really feel that a short walk to and from school is a good thing. My kids are super-active anyway, but I think that walking to school gets your blood pumping and primes your brain for being alert and ready to learn. (I grew up in the 70s and 80s and moved around a lot, so the walking vs. bus vs. car varied by school, but there were definitely years when I walked, probably no more than half a mile each way.) What I would like to do, and I've been thinking a lot about this, is to start up a walking bus from my side of the neighborhood. If we could assemble a group and make traffic stop only once (I'm envisioning those crossing flags like I've seen on Connecticut Ave. in DC) then maybe we could get the school and/or HOA to support it. Brambleton is, after all, supposed to be a walkable community, and it is, unless you have to cross Belmont Ridge Road at Legacy Park Drive.

(Sorry for my extended essay. I'm in Hawaii this week and I haven't gotten used to the time difference so I wake up at 5:00 local time and rant online. )

Old 08-10-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
...Ideally, I would walk them. In reality, this is a death wish. LCPS will not consider anyone west of Belmont Ridge Rd. a "walker" because it is a 45-mph divided four-lane with no light or crosswalk marked at the intersection in front of the school. Dump trucks, concrete trucks, and entitled residents barrel through there going 55+.
Wow, that's crazy. Won't the local gummint put in a stoplight or a crosswalk or something?

Quote:
Buses are provided from our side of the neighborhood but some people are reluctant to let their special snowflakes stand around outside in weather of any kind.
And we wonder why our country's going downhill. @#$% mollycoddlers.

Quote:
If we could assemble a group and make traffic stop only once (I'm envisioning those crossing flags like I've seen on Connecticut Ave. in DC) then maybe we could get the school and/or HOA to support it.
Elementary kids in Japan do this--by themselves! Imagine a 30-kid line of wee tots in matching yellow raincoats, traversing city streets like a very slow and orderly centipede. Nah, American kids could never do that.

Quote:
(Sorry for my extended essay. I'm in Hawaii this week and I haven't gotten used to the time difference so I wake up at 5:00 local time and rant online. )
Sarcastic violin gesture. Eat some kaluah pork for us.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:55 AM

4,033 posts, read 5,066,255 times
Are you kidding me? Not safe to walk to school in Arlington? These parents sound like chicken littles. I'd like to take them to a few neighborhoods that are much more dangerous than anything in Northern Virginia where kids walk all the time. Oh brother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia