Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 11:00 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
My kids would love to ride the bus, but as an overweight person, I really feel that a short walk to and from school is a good thing. My kids are super-active anyway, but I think that walking to school gets your blood pumping and primes your brain for being alert and ready to learn. (I grew up in the 70s and 80s and moved around a lot, so the walking vs. bus vs. car varied by school, but there were definitely years when I walked, probably no more than half a mile each way.) What I would like to do, and I've been thinking a lot about this, is to start up a walking bus from my side of the neighborhood. If we could assemble a group and make traffic stop only once (I'm envisioning those crossing flags like I've seen on Connecticut Ave. in DC) then maybe we could get the school and/or HOA to support it. Brambleton is, after all, supposed to be a walkable community, and it is, unless you have to cross Belmont Ridge Road at Legacy Park Drive.

(Sorry for my extended essay. I'm in Hawaii this week and I haven't gotten used to the time difference so I wake up at 5:00 local time and rant online. )
Hawaii? I'm just as green as those palm trees. Enjoy!

I like this walking bus thing. So basically a chaperone comes and "picks up" the kids. This I can roll with. Sounds great. It takes a village as they say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 11:01 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,725,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Are you kidding me? Not safe to walk to school in Arlington? These parents sound like chicken littles. I'd like to take them to a few neighborhoods that are much more dangerous than anything in Northern Virginia where kids walk all the time. Oh brother.
Well, the risk of getting hit by a car is real. I've had some near misses as a pedestrian several times.

As to crime, there have been some recent distrubing incidents near the Metro in Arlington (and one on the bike path), directed toward adult women.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:11 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Well, the risk of getting hit by a car is real. I've had some near misses as a pedestrian several times.

As to crime, there have been some recent distrubing incidents near the Metro in Arlington (and one on the bike path), directed toward adult women.
I hear you. I grew up in a pretty rough neighborhood much rougher than anything Arlington has to offer and I'm fine. Crime happens everywhere but Arlington is not turning into the hood based on a few isolated incidents. Arlington is one of the safest cities I've ever seen. A few incidents does not a crime wave make.

I'm not saying that crime doesn't happen but I was taught to look both ways before crossing the street and not to talk to strangers. I turned out fine. Walking should be encouraged.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:46 AM

56 posts, read 121,808 times
I walked to grammer school in the Bronx in the 70's ...I rode 1 bus and 1 subway in the Bronx to HS for Freshman year...moved to Westchester and walked to HS for 3 years...no teen ager had their own car!

I walked my kids to school in Westchester in the 80's ....moved to Virginia ...my kids walked to grammer school every day from 1996-2005, ...with the exception of the sniper period I drove them ...then they took a bus to MS and HS

Old 08-13-2012, 07:48 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,503,710 times
Only takes a second to snatch a kid - and there are tons of perverts and molesters in this area - every time I pick up the paper I read about another one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia