Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 10:20 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,961,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
That's exactly what I was thinking. Beautiful, popular, but may already be booked for next spring.
This is exactly what I was going to suggest as well. My mom was married there in one of the gazebos and it was really pretty. I am actually going to be attending a wedding there in September as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 10:28 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,143 times
Well, there was one place in Old Town with a beautiful garden - Carlyle House - I seriously considered it but it was expensive and you have to rent the mansion separately if you want to use it as a rain backup. It's rented out by nova parks and rec, same as Meadowlark.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:45 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,725,241 times
I have some suggestions, but I'm keeping them to myself until the OP comes back and says thank you to those who have replied already. I'm done helping people who don't have basic courtesy--e.g., Desperately Seeking Belvoir Apartment. (To be fair, maybe the OP here hasn't been back online since his/her initial post, due to wedding-related stuff.)

Old 08-09-2012, 11:47 AM

2 posts, read 2,687 times
Thanks for the input everybody. I get what some of you are saying about trying to fit a venue to a theme. I understand maybe the venue I imagine may not exist, and I will be ok switching to something else if need be and making it work. I like the ideas of meadowlark and the national arboretum, I will look into those further.

I made a mistake and said 2013, but I meant 2014. Probably April/May, though we are working on nailing down a more exact date.

I don't have a preference on type of flowers that would be in bloom, just something colorful.

I love the idea of having just a green garden and adding little colorful touches, especially with hanging things from overhead. But if I did that, I would prefer more of an enclosed type garden, maybe with stone walls, tall hedges, some sort of arch/gate/opening to enter. Haven't found one of those either.

Maybe I should just give up and fly to England. They have great gardens..

Old 08-09-2012, 12:01 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,961,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by czamos View Post
Thanks for the input everybody. I get what some of you are saying about trying to fit a venue to a theme. I understand maybe the venue I imagine may not exist, and I will be ok switching to something else if need be and making it work. I like the ideas of meadowlark and the national arboretum, I will look into those further.

I made a mistake and said 2013, but I meant 2014. Probably April/May, though we are working on nailing down a more exact date.

I don't have a preference on type of flowers that would be in bloom, just something colorful.

I love the idea of having just a green garden and adding little colorful touches, especially with hanging things from overhead. But if I did that, I would prefer more of an enclosed type garden, maybe with stone walls, tall hedges, some sort of arch/gate/opening to enter. Haven't found one of those either.

Maybe I should just give up and fly to England. They have great gardens..
There's a place in FL that looks like that. My SIL was married there and it was beautiful. I think it was near Orlando (as they lived in Oviedo).

Old 08-09-2012, 12:03 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,725,241 times
OK! Here are my suggestions:

Meridian International Center in DC has a garden of linden trees you can rent out. (I think they charge an arm and a leg, however.)

In Arlington, the Bon-Air Memorial Rose Garden I don't think allows actual weddings, but it's a great spot for wedding photos.

In Maryland, there's Brookside Garden--well worth a visit for anyone. Again, not sure if they allow weddings, but it's worth asking.

Finally, I believe Great Falls Park does allow them--great backdrop of rushing water, symbolizing the turbulence of marriage. (Haha.)

The National Arboretum may end up being your best option; it's beautiful, easy to get to (at least on a weekend), with ample parking and tons of space. And it looks like half a day will run you $1500--which actually is pretty reasonable. Plus it goes to a good institution that benefits the public.

Congrats and good luck!

Old 08-09-2012, 12:27 PM

162 posts, read 359,160 times
Rose Hill Manor in Leesburg

Old 08-09-2012, 12:47 PM

428 posts, read 1,115,178 times
Some other ideas:

The Thomas Birkby House, Leesburg, Virginia

The Goodstone Inn, Middleburg, Virginia

Gramercy Mansion, Baltimore, Maryland

The Lloyd House, Alexandria, Virginia

River Farm, Alexandria, Virginia

Oatlands Plantation, Leesburg, Virginia

Airlie Center, Warrenton, Virginia

Brookside Gardens and Meadowlark are also beautiful choices.

None of them are exactly what I think you're looking for (I'm a Secret Garden fan too, and I think I can see what you're seeing for your wedding), but they do evoke that feel. The Goodstone Inn does have this amazing ivy-covered wall, though, that you'd probably love. There are excellent pics of it here. That's not my blog, BTW.

I've actually worked with the Birkby House and the Lloyd House (I'm a wedding designer/wedding coordinator -- mods, please feel free to strike that if disclosing it somehow violates the TOS), and I'd recommend either of them without reservation.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:01 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,447,740 times
I know you said 50 miles and this is a bit further but I'll toss it out because it is beautiful. Glen Burnie, an historic house and gardens, in Winchester.

Museum of the Shenandoah Valley: Your Occasions/Rentals

Good luck!

Old 08-09-2012, 01:05 PM

462 posts, read 1,210,642 times
Strong Mansion at Sugarloaf Mountain, Maryland.

But don't go hiking at Sugarloaf.....it was like walking in a gravel pit for 2 1/2 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia