U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2012, 09:08 PM

2 posts, read 6,668 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to NOVA because the new job is near Tysons Corner. Any recommendation for a quiet apartment near Tysons Corner, e.g. in McLean, Falls Church or Vienna? I am also wondering whether there are some apartments with concrete structure. Then I will not be bothered by heavy footsteps or noise from up-stair or down-stair neighbors. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 11:24 PM

518 posts, read 1,295,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange12 View Post
I am relocating to NOVA because the new job is near Tysons Corner. Any recommendation for a quiet apartment near Tysons Corner, e.g. in McLean, Falls Church or Vienna? I am also wondering whether there are some apartments with concrete structure. Then I will not be bothered by heavy footsteps or noise from up-stair or down-stair neighbors. Thanks.
Anything by Dittmar is solidly built, and with very thick walls. The buildings are ugly though.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:36 AM

2,772 posts, read 3,652,227 times
Commons of McLean are masonry built and fairly affordable. For most concrete construction you need to look for stuff above 6 stories. So far in Tysons the list is fairly small on apartments that fit that bill though a slew of them are about to come out.

Check out the rotonda, its a condo but a lot of the units are also for rent. Also Park Crest One is a condo that I live in that is quite quiet, very good sound proofed windows and definitely concrete between units (watched as it was built).

Whats your price range?

Old 08-11-2012, 09:32 AM

2 posts, read 6,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
Commons of McLean are masonry built and fairly affordable. For most concrete construction you need to look for stuff above 6 stories. So far in Tysons the list is fairly small on apartments that fit that bill though a slew of them are about to come out.

Check out the rotonda, its a condo but a lot of the units are also for rent. Also Park Crest One is a condo that I live in that is quite quiet, very good sound proofed windows and definitely concrete between units (watched as it was built).

Whats your price range?
Thanks!! My price range can be up to 1700 per month including utility. At first I was considering Commons of McLean. Its rent goes up too much recently. Now the monthly rent for every 1b/1b apt listed is around $1650, not including utility. Anyway, the noise issue is my priority concern...

Old 08-11-2012, 02:02 PM

2,772 posts, read 3,652,227 times
for 1700 you should be able to find some locations in Arlington which are more appropriate for you perhaps. The problem around here is 1br and 2brs have basically the same value in NOVA. I'd suggest finding a roommate if you want a really nice place.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:43 AM

29 posts, read 35,812 times
Here's your answer: Colonies of McLean! (Shh, dont tell anyone. It's a secret.)

Its so quiet and here, sometimes I hate it - it feels so lifeless. It feels like you and the random dog owners you see once in a while are the only people living in this 20 acre community which also happens to be in the middle of Tysons Corner.

These are private condos - so the listings wont be available easily. Look on Craigslist, or on the condo website for vacancies.

It will be cheaper too! Since you are renting from a private owner. I would say around 1200 to 1400 for 1br/1ba. It also feels nicer than Commons or other similar apartments around (at least to me).

You wont be disappointed if you are looking for quiet. Good luck!

Old 08-13-2012, 07:20 AM

2,185 posts, read 2,656,279 times
I lived in Oakwood apartments in Falls Church(near seven corners) a long time ago and it was very solid. I seem to remember the walls being cinder block or something, not drywall. I never heard a neighbor in the year I lived there. Price was also good. We paid like $1200/month including utilities for a 1 BR but this was about 8 years ago so not sure what they're renting for these days.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:33 AM

513 posts, read 806,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
I lived in Oakwood apartments in Falls Church(near seven corners) a long time ago and it was very solid. I seem to remember the walls being cinder block or something, not drywall. I never heard a neighbor in the year I lived there. Price was also good. We paid like $1200/month including utilities for a 1 BR but this was about 8 years ago so not sure what they're renting for these days.

Prices have not gone up in 8 years in Northern Va. (sarcasm). Actually THEY HAVE!

Look for condo for rent by owner at Mclean House or Rotunda in Mclean. One is closer to DC for the night life, the other has more ammenities.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:35 PM

2,185 posts, read 2,656,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleanexec View Post
Prices have not gone up in 8 years in Northern Va. (sarcasm). Actually THEY HAVE!

Look for condo for rent by owner at Mclean House or Rotunda in Mclean. One is closer to DC for the night life, the other has more ammenities.
Relax buddy. I know rents have gone up, that's why I said I don't know what they rent for nowadays. Clearly they will be more expensive than they were 8 years ago. But they were a reasonably priced apartment when I lived there, and probably still are.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:40 PM

2,224 posts, read 1,852,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvine View Post
Anything by Dittmar is solidly built, and with very thick walls. The buildings are ugly though.
I'll second the Dittmar recommendation as well, big time! I'm in the CRE finance game, and toured one of their projects about two years ago for the first time. They use concrete blocks to build everything! Walls are concrete blocks, floors are all concrete, you name it. They build these puppies to last a long long time. True, they can sometimes feel more like a hotel / bomb bunker, but man oh man, if you don't want to hear anything that is going on around you....they're the apartment builder for you! We walked down the hall to look at a unit and passed by an apartment unit that you could hear loud music coming through that unit's door. We went into the empty unit next to it, and could not hear a thing! It amazed us. It was almost unnatural. Open the front door = AC/DC. Close the front door = dead silence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or