U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-14-2012, 08:45 AM
 
28 posts, read 27,626 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

Awesome! I love diversity!



Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
Honestly if it werent for the difference in cuisine I dont think many people in Fairfax would notice ethnicity. Its sort of a beacon of hey follow this person for good food of this ethnicity haha. There are plenty of black people in my building as well. I think the idea that Tysons is all persian and koreans is due mostly to the kabob and bulgogi places and plethora of armani exchange stores and not the actual ethnic breakdown of residents. For the record there are plenty of hispanic residents and I even have a neighbor who talks like a cockney chimney sweep. I forget where he said he was from but its some place in Britain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-14-2012, 03:28 PM
 
7,965 posts, read 18,033,294 times
Reputation: 2587
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
Look buddy, I'm just giving my assessment. Simply acknowledging differences does not mean I'm disparaging anyone. If you've noticed, everyone tends to aggregate among their own kind. If you don't believe me, drive to Annandale, Herndon , etc. There's nothing wrong with middle easterners or asians being the majority, I'm just mentioning it as someone asked for opinions.
Granted, I don't spend much time at the Tyson Corner malls but in my personal observations here, people are as likely to hang out with a diverse crowd as they are with people of a similar ethnicity.

Also, would it be correct to assume that you formed your opinions of Annandale and Herndon based on the Korean businesses along Little River Turnpike and the Hispanic presence along Elden Street? If so, you would be surprised at how diverse both areas actually are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2012, 03:34 PM
 
7,965 posts, read 18,033,294 times
Reputation: 2587
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNic79 View Post
Thank you! I knew I could count on a response from you!
I'm all about great food, so I will definitely try some of your recommendations.
Also...I'm Black, so according to the statistics it looks like I'll still be a minority in Tyson's Corner.
Besides scoping out places to get your haircut - there are several barbers within a few blocks' radius over in Old Town Alexandria BTW - you shouldn't have any issues living in Tysons Corner. Any discrimination in NOVA - not that it makes it "better" - is more based on economic class than ethnicity or race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2012, 09:56 AM
 
28 posts, read 27,626 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Besides scoping out places to get your haircut - there are several barbers within a few blocks' radius over in Old Town Alexandria BTW - you shouldn't have any issues living in Tysons Corner. Any discrimination in NOVA - not that it makes it "better" - is more based on economic class than ethnicity or race.
Not sure if the barber comment was for me, but I'm girl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2012, 06:26 PM
 
7,965 posts, read 18,033,294 times
Reputation: 2587
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNic79 View Post
Not sure if the barber comment was for me, but I'm girl.
Yes it was for you. Sorry about the gender assumption. There will be a lot of accommodating beauty salons in that same vicinity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2012, 09:35 PM
 
Location: McLean, VA
448 posts, read 739,057 times
Reputation: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNic79 View Post
Thank you! I knew I could count on a response from you!
I'm all about great food, so I will definitely try some of your recommendations.
Also...I'm Black, so according to the statistics it looks like I'll still be a minority in Tyson's Corner.
The good news is that Tysons is a good place. The even better news is that there are other areas nearby (Falls Church, Vienna, McLean) that are within pretty easy reach. My recommendation is after you are comfortable with your immediate neighborhood, don't restrict yourself and try to enjoy the nearby areas as as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2012, 07:08 AM
 
Location: Tysons Corner
2,772 posts, read 3,638,494 times
Reputation: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
The good news is that Tysons is a good place. The even better news is that there are other areas nearby (Falls Church, Vienna, McLean) that are within pretty easy reach. My recommendation is after you are comfortable with your immediate neighborhood, don't restrict yourself and try to enjoy the nearby areas as as well.
Agreed, the best thing about Tysons is definitely its central location and general access to everything. I spend just as much time in Vienna/Falls Church/Arlington as I do in Tysons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top