Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 07:29 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,116,894 times

Advertisements

The Huntington area in Fairfax County just outside Alexandria City (though it still has an Alexandria address) would be an option. The high-rise apartments near the Metro are populated primarily by commuting white-collar professionals of all ages. Cityside apartments and possibly Riverside apartments should be in the young lady's rental range. The area is not particularly glamorous but it is functional as the Huntington Metro station is nearby and your usual midscale retail and restaurant suspects are located down the road on Route 1/Richmond Highway. Old Town Alexandria is a short drive away - or four minutes by Metro if she's not headed to the waterfront - and "Orange Line" Arlington is within a half hour as well (outside of rush hour, at least). There is a perception of safety issues there that is perhaps outdated. Granted, one shouldn't stumble home from a late night at the bar but otherwise the area is fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 08:41 AM

9 posts, read 11,493 times
Thanks for all of the advice--I'll forward it to her.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:20 PM

402 posts, read 744,599 times
Do we know what city/area she is working in yet? Also, I know she's slugging now, but will she have a car or not?

Old 08-20-2012, 03:57 PM

She works at Army COE in China Town (Gallery Place Metro Stop)

She does have a car.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:04 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,923,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmvoss4 View Post
She works at Army COE in China Town (Gallery Place Metro Stop)

She does have a car.
In that case, my suggestions would be (in order of convenience/favorite areas)

a) Find a roommate and live in Crystal or Pentagon City. I know you said she doesn't want to live with a stranger, but the commute she'd have to work would be a straight shot on the yellow line, she'd live in a neat area with walkability to just about everything, and rent would be in her budget with a roommate.

b) Find an apartment complex that offers a free shuttle to the Pentagon or King Street stations. Not sure that she'll be able to find it in her budget, especially now that the mark center is popular work location, but all the buildings near 395 and Seminary/King used to offer them. From those metro stops, she could take the yellow line straight to work.

c) Look down near Huntington, as previously suggested. There's not a lot going on in that area, but it's an easy commute to work, and she'll have a car to get to more lively places. I believe she should be able to find a place in her budget there.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:30 PM

Thanks so much!! I will pass it on--I think she is going to consider the roommate option now.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:33 PM

43 posts, read 131,929 times
Young professionals certainly can live in Woodbridge! With a nice apartment and plenty of square footage, too. Slugging makes a Woodbridge commute doable IMHO. The Preserve @ Caton's Crossing is a new, luxury complex and the 1 bedrooms start at $1387. Riverside Station is nice, too and starts @ $1210 for 1 bed's..

Old 08-21-2012, 04:40 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,616,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHunny View Post
Young professionals certainly can live in Woodbridge! With a nice apartment and plenty of square footage, too. Slugging makes a Woodbridge commute doable IMHO. The Preserve @ Caton's Crossing is a new, luxury complex and the 1 bedrooms start at $1387. Riverside Station is nice, too and starts @ $1210 for 1 bed's..

I get what you're saying--I live in Woodbridge and am fine here. However, I know a good number of 25-somethings and a few between 21 and 25. They do not enjoy living in Woodbridge for the social aspects. If you're not a social young adult and enjoy doing things on your own or even being a bit of a homebody (hey, I'm one), then Woodbridge is fine. If you're like most 25 years olds I know that want to meet in big groups and get together more than just one night a week, Woodbridge is not for you.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:15 AM

402 posts, read 744,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I get what you're saying--I live in Woodbridge and am fine here. However, I know a good number of 25-somethings and a few between 21 and 25. They do not enjoy living in Woodbridge for the social aspects. If you're not a social young adult and enjoy doing things on your own or even being a bit of a homebody (hey, I'm one), then Woodbridge is fine. If you're like most 25 years olds I know that want to meet in big groups and get together more than just one night a week, Woodbridge is not for you.
Agree with this. Woodbridge is more for people who want bigger, more affordable proprties and is typically more family oriented. The commute to DC is not fun even utilizing HOV and slugging. When you're 20-something and single, most people want to utilize location to nightlife and other youth more than having a house with a yard in a nice quiet location. There's nothing wrong with Woodbridge, but it doesn't sound like it fits the profile the OP described.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:19 AM

6,536 posts, read 8,342,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Bingo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia