Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 10:40 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,506,551 times

Advertisements

You know who's got the best business in all of Washington, DC? The guy who owns that gas station at Dulles, and he's about to make a lot more money too with folks who need that receipt to prove "airport business" reasons to use those lanes. I've done it, whitout hesitation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 10:43 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,254,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Here's what I want to know - if $3.50 from Dulles to 495 can build and maintain a friggin train, then what the heck am I paying $4.85 for to go less than 4 miles on the Greenway? Lawn service next to the highway? I want to know when VA is going to take that stretch of road into consideration for price adjustments. I don't like these elevated tolls on the public roads, but can live with them if it creates something tangible and usuable. I can assume that having the metro option will ultimately only make Ashburn more desirable to those wanting to move here, and will elevate the housing market prices. That, I am willing to pay for... But to be charged the full $5 bucks to go from exit 6 to the toll gate, the SAME fare those coming in from Leesburg pay, is just criminal. Someone around here has to have the ability to argue that it's wrong and they should stop it. Call it discrimination or price fixing or whatever, just fix it.
The Greenway is a private road, but hey no tax dollars, right?

Old 08-21-2012, 10:47 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,671,449 times
If they need to pay for the Silver Line, do it with Metro fares. Imagine the reaction if we used transit fare to fund highway construction.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:53 AM

9,863 posts, read 13,987,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
The silver line is not free, so everyone must pitch in to pay for it. Are there any estimates for how much a ride from Dulles to Tysons would be on the metro? At current rates, I would think it would be about the same as the toll - excluding gas
The people paying to use the Toll Road are the people who are specifically NOT using the Silver Line. I can't wrap my head around why we should pay more, for other people's benefit? The Toll Road fees (as per the law) should cover the maintenance and management of the Toll Road only. I still can't fathom why the lawsuits opposing these increases haven't been more numerous.....

If the increases were for operational costs, it's certainly understandable. But to charge Toll Road users for other projects, that's ridiculous. Why don't they raise the Metro fares - basically charge the users fo the Silver Line for the Silver line?

hmm..novel concept....

Old 08-21-2012, 10:54 AM

939 posts, read 1,884,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post
The Greenway is a private road, but hey no tax dollars, right?
An example of capitalistic tendencies of a free market taking care of consumers. Let's privatize everything! Best part about it? That road is owned by a non-US company.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
An example of capitalistic tendencies of a free market taking care of consumers. Let's privatize everything! Best part about it? That road is owned by a non-US company.
If people weren't paying the amount and it wasn't profitable; the tolls would decrease.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:21 AM

939 posts, read 1,884,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
If people weren't paying the amount and it wasn't profitable; the tolls would decrease.
There is literally no viable alternative for many of those living out there. Of course, they made the decision to move there, so I can't have too much sympathy.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:24 AM

20 posts, read 28,208 times
Quote:
The people paying to use the Toll Road are the people who are specifically NOT using the Silver Line. I can't wrap my head around why we should pay more, for other people's benefit? The Toll Road fees (as per the law) should cover the maintenance and management of the Toll Road only. I still can't fathom why the lawsuits opposing these increases haven't been more numerous.....

If the increases were for operational costs, it's certainly understandable. But to charge Toll Road users for other projects, that's ridiculous. Why don't they raise the Metro fares - basically charge the users fo the Silver Line for the Silver line?

hmm..novel concept....
The problem there is that it is MWAA who are funding most of the silver line extension and not Metro. And it was MWAA who were the main people who pushed for the silver line and not metro itself.

I agree that the funding should be found a different way but MWAA owns the toll road and apart from possibly adding a surcharge to everyone who fly’s in and out of Dulles or National it’s the only way they can raise the money needed.

I can’t imagine how much more expensive the line would have been if they had to purchase the rights of way/property as well as building it. But as MWAA owns the road that the line is on for the most part that helps with costs somewhat.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevis View Post
I agree that the funding should be found a different way but MWAA owns the toll road and apart from possibly adding a surcharge to everyone who fly’s in and out of Dulles or National it’s the only way they can raise the money needed.
Well, this is a freaking fantastic idea!!! they do it in Dallas. If you rent a car at the airport, you pay a tax that covers the cost of their new Cowboys stadium. As a traveller (and an Eagles fan), I was totally outraged; yet I still needed to make those business trips. Outrage only lasts as long as you are looking at the bill.

So, why aren't we taxing those that come to visit us? I assure you, $5 will not stop someone from coming to visit (or do business in) DC or NOVA.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:24 PM

448 posts, read 866,203 times
Quote:
Well, this is a freaking fantastic idea!!! they do it in Dallas. If you rent a car at the airport, you pay a tax that covers the cost of their new Cowboys stadium. As a traveller (and an Eagles fan), I was totally outraged; yet I still needed to make those business trips. Outrage only lasts as long as you are looking at the bill.

So, why aren't we taxing those that come to visit us? I assure you, $5 will not stop someone from coming to visit (or do business in) DC or NOVA.
I agree that it is a good idea. I go down to Dallas for a Cowboys game every year (Cowboys fan) and didn't know about that tax. That said, if they were to do it, the tax will likely be added on top of the increase in tolls. I just look at it as part of the cost quality living here. Just like when I go to Dallas, it is part of the cost of the weekend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia