U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-28-2012, 09:25 PM

325 posts, read 372,711 times

Advertisements

I'm throwing out food from the pantry= flour and noodles that were open had spider webs inside. aaaaahhhh
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 08:42 AM

1,060 posts, read 1,049,202 times
Jeez, am I the only person here that doesn't care about spiders? They eat bugs and they're cool to watch. If I find 'em in the house, I'll make the effort to catch them before I stomp one - though there's been a few that were stubborn and got stomped (or the cats got it - once they see him, he's a goner). Back when I was in school, we used to have some big dang spiders at my parents house, black and orange. Freaky cool looking and made some big webs...didn't have a bug problem though! I've seen the occasional hairy one around my house, I just keep going about my business. Been trying to get the wife to let me get a tarantula, no luck on that so far...

Old 08-29-2012, 09:04 AM

556 posts, read 544,951 times
The biggest issue with the spiders is probably that they're watching you while you sleep.....

Old 08-29-2012, 10:07 AM

2,547 posts, read 5,176,026 times
My thought was that the spiders are either going for food or water. That means smaller bugs or mites are getting eaten up. So I leave the spiders alone in my basement, hoping their keeping the population of termites down as well.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:36 AM

1,163 posts, read 934,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
My thought was that the spiders are either going for food or water. That means smaller bugs or mites are getting eaten up. So I leave the spiders alone in my basement, hoping their keeping the population of termites down as well.
I don't let them roam free in my basement but I try not to kill the bigger ones which are typically wolf spiders. I just move them back outside as long as they let me. Kind of how garden snakes can actually be beneficial to have around because they'll kill off rodents while posing no real threat to you, wolf spiders kill off other more troublesome insects. They'll even take out poisonous spiders if you happen to get black widows in your house. Although I agree spiders are gross and I hate being around them

Old 08-29-2012, 11:29 AM

110 posts, read 114,185 times
I just mind the spiders if they bite me or crawl into my ear/mouth when I sleep. When they are the size of a quarter (including legs) that freaks me out. I am going to spray again this weekend by myself and do a better job with the foundation.

I will report back. Thanks!

Old 08-29-2012, 02:16 PM

714 posts, read 636,407 times
I've never been a fan of anything in my house having more than 4 legs. I don't run around killing spiders in my back yard, but once they cross that threshold, they'd better stay out of sight or out of reach! I just can't handle the thought of something crawling on me without my knowing...or on anyone else in my house. I saw a spider on the wall right next to my son's crib, and I tell you, I was MAD at that spider! How dare it set up shop next to my baby!

Coming into my house is pretty much a spider death sentence anyway. I've watched multiple spiders set up webs (where I couldn't reach them) and end up dying because there isn't anything for them to eat...

Old 08-29-2012, 02:28 PM

2,547 posts, read 5,176,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
I've never been a fan of anything in my house having more than 4 legs. I don't run around killing spiders in my back yard, but once they cross that threshold, they'd better stay out of sight or out of reach! I just can't handle the thought of something crawling on me without my knowing...or on anyone else in my house. I saw a spider on the wall right next to my son's crib, and I tell you, I was MAD at that spider! How dare it set up shop next to my baby!

Coming into my house is pretty much a spider death sentence anyway. I've watched multiple spiders set up webs (where I couldn't reach them) and end up dying because there isn't anything for them to eat...
What about snakes. They could be living in your bed right now, comfy warm and ready for you to come home.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:26 PM

2,594 posts, read 2,434,012 times
Vacuum cleaner.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:28 PM

2,594 posts, read 2,434,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 VII 7 View Post
I just mind the spiders if they bite me or crawl into my ear/mouth when I sleep. When they are the size of a quarter (including legs) that freaks me out. I am going to spray again this weekend by myself and do a better job with the foundation.

I will report back. Thanks!
I got glue traps that you can put under the bed legs, and they do catch spiders. Was intended to keep bed bugs out, but I'm happy they are catching other stuff. Climb-up interceptors, another bed bug products, also work for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia