Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 09:50 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedvedActual View Post
Just thinking out loud here, what is the point of "proving" the car is garaged out of state, other than possibly avoiding paying personal property tax on it? Although, unless the car is reregistered out of state, I do not think that is possible.
Read the whole thread. Particularly posts #4 & 5.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 10:04 AM

857 posts, read 843,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Read the whole thread. Particularly posts #4 & 5.
Copy. I did read the entire thread; seemed to me the issue is resolved just by calling the DMV and stating vehicle is temporarily out of state.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:22 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedvedActual View Post
Copy. I did read the entire thread; seemed to me the issue is resolved just by calling the DMV and stating vehicle is temporarily out of state.
The problem though is that when dealing with the DMV, it's never a simple endeavor. It's much easier to try to see if the helpful people on CD know the answer so that you can be prepared when it comes time to try and get help from the DMV.

Old 07-20-2022, 03:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,192 times
My Virginia tags expire in August on a car that is on a long road trip until the middle of October. Before renewing the tags, I need an emissions inspection. Will Virginia accept an emission inspection from another state? And, if not, does anyone know if there is a grace period in Virginia for expired tags. I’ve researched the DMV site thoroughly and cannot find the answer. Thank you.

Old 07-21-2022, 05:19 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atka View Post
My Virginia tags expire in August on a car that is on a long road trip until the middle of October. Before renewing the tags, I need an emissions inspection. Will Virginia accept an emission inspection from another state? And, if not, does anyone know if there is a grace period in Virginia for expired tags. I’ve researched the DMV site thoroughly and cannot find the answer. Thank you.
If there is no answer then what do you think the answer is going to be? This is an example of bad planning on the part of whoever planned the trip. I’d be surprised if the state would make some kind of exception for someone who forgot their plates were going to expire in the middle of their trip. I suspect the answer is that the car is going to have to get to Virginia †?sometime during the month of August or risk driving with expired tags until October. Better call the DMV and try to convince them to make an exception, or say the car is garaged out of state like earlier posts mentioned (don’t mention the road trip). See if that works.

Old 07-21-2022, 11:49 AM

957 posts, read 2,020,043 times
The DMV can issue a one time exemption to issue a 30 day registration without emissions. That would get through the end of September, but you probably don't have options to get until the middle of October.

I've actually found most of the DMV folks on the phone are pretty helpful, so your best bet is to call them instead of asking here. You'll get the official answer/possible solutions.

Old 07-21-2022, 02:54 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atka View Post
You could have gotten it done in July

Old 07-23-2022, 04:03 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,611,712 times
I am fairly certain Virginia does not accept an emission inspection from another state. What county / jurisdiction is your car registered in? The only counties that do not require are the outer exurban ones like Fauquier and Spotsylvania.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia