U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 10:20 AM

8,479 posts, read 5,880,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
What would be the "borders" of the area called Arlandria?
id say everything along and north of W glebe/east glebe and south of 4 mile run (the arlington line) and west of commonwealth would be considered arlandria without controversy.

There MIGHT be disagreement about the area near Mt vernon ave (and also Commonwealth) just south glebe, where it shades into Del Ray (itself a combination of several different historic neighborhoods, including St Elmo after which the cafe is named - though AFAIK everyone just calls it Del Ray now)

Last edited by brooklynborndad; 08-29-2012 at 10:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
Here's a map of the Baileys Crossroads Commercial Revitalization District that might be helpful. On it you can see Skyline, as well as the Arlington County Line and the Alexandria Line. Skyline is in Fairfax County and has a 22041 zip code; the primary 'city' for address is Falls Church, with "Baileys Crossroads" or "Baileys Xrds" as acceptable alternates.

im not surprised that skyline accepts being part of the revitalization area or that FFX county wanted them in - there are some odd looking little exclusions from the revitalization are on the east side of rte 7, which I THINK are still within the county line - I presume there is a story behind that.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:25 AM

9,341 posts, read 15,386,558 times
The Skyline complex, itself, has a Falls Church mailing address with a 22041 zip code. That area is unincorporated Fairfax County. The Arlington County line is at Columbia Pike and S Carlyn Springs Road and on S George Mason at S Hamilton. Part of S Jefferson, which traverses the shopping centers across from Skyline is Fairfax County, but once you are down the hill, it's Arlington County, yet could colloquially be known as Bailey's Crossroads in terms of a rough geographic description of the area. With Alexandria, it depends, as parts of 22302 and 22311 are in the city, and parts are in Fairfax County, and the Alexandria city line does come close to Bailey's as well.

I know someone who inherited investment property along the pike, not far from Carlin Springs Road, and they always said that the area was Bailey's Crossroads, even with the 22204 zip code, as the property was just over the Arlington line. I think the county line actually went through the complex.

Someone else I know owned in Skyline, and always said it was Bailey's Crossroads as well, which is how most people I have met who are native-born in this area refer to the area in which Skyline is located. The Skyline complex is located within Fairfax County, so the schools and services are in the county.

If you come close to buying or renting in the area, and need to know schools and services, representation, etc. before making a decision, the American Fact Finder that the Census Bureau is a very good resource. I plugged 3701 S George Mason into the address finder, and according to the official census information it is Fairfax County, Mason District, and within the CDP of Bailey's Crossroads, which is how locals refer to the area.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-29-2012, 10:31 AM

2,555 posts, read 1,572,277 times
Quote:
Arlandria is the triangle defined by:

The northern border is South Glebe Rd,
The eastern board is US-1 (Jefferson Davis Hwy),
The hypotenuse is West/East Glebe Rd. It also includes the neighborhood areas immediately to the south.

All of this is within the boundaries of the City of Alexandria.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:43 AM

12,676 posts, read 18,896,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
The Skyline apartment complex is assigned to Glen Forest ES/Glasgow MS/Stuart HS. Kids who live in the Bailey's area of Falls Church are assigned to either Bailey's ES, Glen Forest ES or Parklawn ES, and then Glasgow MS and Stuart HS. All are Fairfax County schools. Glen Forest ES, Bailey's ES and Stuart HS have Falls Church mailing addresses; Parklawn ES and Glasgow MS have Alexandria mailing addresses.
What's the general perception of those schools?

Old 08-29-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
Arlandria is the triangle defined by:

The northern border is South Glebe Rd,
The eastern board is US-1 (Jefferson Davis Hwy),
The hypotenuse is West/East Glebe Rd. It also includes the neighborhood areas immediately to the south.

All of this is within the boundaries of the City of Alexandria.

IIUC south glebe is entirely within arlington county (yeah im in a quibbly mood today, but these are quibble-friendly questions)

as for the area between commonwealth and the Maj Gen Jefferson C Davis ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_C._Davis ) highway, north of Reed is Reserve at Potomac Yards, whose name indicates where its owners think it is (thought that is probably different from traditional identities) and south is the area I believe is called lynnhaven - whose current identity vis a vis arlandria I do not know.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:58 AM

4,480 posts, read 4,992,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
What's the general perception of those schools?
You can find all types of information about these schools on the FCPS web site (search for the Stuart "pyramid"):

http://commweb.fcps.edu/directory/

I think the "general perception" is probably that they are better than the schools that kids who live in Manassas attend, and similar to many of the schools in South Arlington, but not as good as most schools in Fairfax County or in North Arlington or in the western half of Prince William County (like Bristow and Gainesville). That is a reflection of the fact that this part of Fairfax County has a relatively high number of low-income students who may still be acquiring English-language skills, which typically is correlated with lower scores on standardized tests. The response, in turn, is that if you have supportive parents and a Tiger Beer-dad with several degrees (not to be confused with a Tiger Mom), your kid will do fine.

For what it's worth, the Bailey's-area elementary schools are also over-crowded at the moment, and FCPS has suggested that it may want to build another elementary school in that part of Fairfax over the next 5-10 years to address this.

Last edited by JEB77; 08-29-2012 at 11:19 AM..

Old 08-29-2012, 11:14 AM

9,341 posts, read 15,386,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
IIUC south glebe is entirely within arlington county (yeah im in a quibbly mood today, but these are quibble-friendly questions)

as for the area between commonwealth and the Maj Gen Jefferson C Davis ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_C._Davis ) highway, north of Reed is Reserve at Potomac Yards, whose name indicates where its owners think it is (thought that is probably different from traditional identities) and south is the area I believe is called lynnhaven - whose current identity vis a vis arlandria I do not know.
Potomac Yard takes its name from the railroad yard that was formerly located on that site, which was in use long before the superfund site was cleared for redevelopment.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-29-2012, 11:24 AM

270 posts, read 500,108 times
Quote:
Here's how the Arlandria Business Community defines its borders.

ACBA Homepage

Old 08-29-2012, 01:57 PM

3,955 posts, read 6,357,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
the target is in Skyline. I think you could a few locals who would dispute whether Skyline is actually IN Baileys Crossroads, rather than adjacent to it

The very land upon which Skyline was built was once the site of "Crossroads Airport". If the airport's founder, a Mr. E C Germain, in his 1941 application, considered the area to be Bailey's Crossroads...that's good enough for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia