Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 09:18 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,165,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
@tiger beer - The area where you were was Skyline, which is CLOSE to (about one half mile SE from) Baileys Crossroads. Skyline is a 1970s (I think) vintage hirise complex with multiple uses (though its architecture and layout distinguishes it from more recent neourbanist mixed use) which MAY soon have light rail service. In its immediate vicinity are some SFHs, some traditional suburban shopping centers,etc. As you go up into Baileys, esp the area BEYOND the crossroads from which the neighborhood takes its name - you will find more ethnic restaurants, a mix of shopping centers, and more low rise apts etc. That area shades into Culmore.
Thanks! If I'm reading things right, I probably didn't visit Arlandria at all, or if I did, it didn't have any particular appeal to make a note of it.

SKYLINE sounds like what I was interested in than. Is that technically Falls Church or Arlington? How close is Alexandria? We additionally visited a friend of my wife, who had an Alexandria address, but seemed fairly close to that area of Skyline.

Vintage hirise complexes with nearby Target and the Ethiopian strip mall area...seemed to describe the area best. That's all clearly Skyline than?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 09:27 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,553,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Thanks! If I'm reading things right, I probably didn't visit Arlandria at all, or if I did, it didn't have any particular appeal to make a not of it.

SKYLINE sounds like what I was interesting in than. Is that technically Falls Church or Arlington? How close is Alexandria? We additionally visited a friend of my wife, who had an Alexandria address, but seemed fairly close to that area of Skyline.

Vintage hirise complexes with nearby Target and the Ethiopian strip mall area...seemed to describe the area best. That's all clearly Skyline than?

skyline is in Fairfax county. City of Falls church is a couple of miles northwest up rte 7, and City of Alexandria is about a mile or so SE on rte 7. At that point Rte 7 is the divider between Alex and Arlington - west side is ALex, east side is arlington. That part of arlington is called Fairlington, in tribute to its proximity to fairfax county, I think.

I would recommend a lot of time staring at a map to get the jurisdictional boundaries straight.

The boundaries can matter, not only because of considerations often discussed here like schools and taxes, but because of differing legacy and contemporary approaches to things like zoning. Though I would say that in this area, on the one hand there are distinctions between neighborhoods within a given jurisdiction due to legacy developer decisions (the distinctiveness of Skyline, the differences among Southern Towers, Park Center, Bradlee, etc in Alex). ANd on the other hand, the neighborhoods often mutually complement each other, including across jurisdictional lines.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
And, while Lake Barcroft is near Bailey's, people who live around there don't say or think that they live in Bailey's Crossroads, the way that Skyline's current management describes Skyline as in Bailey's, as just pointed out by Orange Fish.
they also think its in falls church, and that its minutes to tysons and pentagon metro (well anything under an hour counts as "minutes" right"?) OTOH that they claim its in baileys in promotional material would at least suggest that baileys is not a RE negative - so presumably those who live in skyline and do not consider it baileys are either not motivatated by RE boosterism, or are simply behind the times about the desirability of Baileys.

I suppose it would be difficult to claim skyline is in Falls church, while also emphasizing a distinction between skyline and baileys.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:34 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,084,569 times
Quote:
Thanks! If I'm reading things right, I probably didn't visit Arlandria at all, or if I did, it didn't have any particular appeal to make a note of it.

SKYLINE sounds like what I was interested in than. Is that technically Falls Church or Arlington? How close is Alexandria? We additionally visited a friend of my wife, who had an Alexandria address, but seemed fairly close to that area of Skyline.

The answers to some of your questions can be found in prior posts and prior threads. Sometimes reading the answers is as important as posing the questions.

I'm going to leave it to Professor BBD to give you his tutorial on local neighborhoods and just check back in when I think you're ready for the exam.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:45 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,165,223 times
Quote:
skyline is in Fairfax county.
So, for a mailing address, it wouldn't be Falls Church, but Alexandria or Arlington, but with all Fairfax County services including schools, etc.?

Old 08-29-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
So, for a mailing address, it wouldn't be Falls Church, but Alexandria or Arlington, but with all Fairfax County services including schools, etc.?

actually I think it is a falls church mailing address (at least thats what Target gives) though I guess Baileys crossroads would work, and even if you put alex or arlington it will get there (if you put the right zip code).

The schools for skyline would be fairfax county (and i will wager that JEB will pull up the pyramid, and it will be baileys crossroads elem)

Old 08-29-2012, 09:59 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,068,491 times
The name of the community doesn't matter that much in the mailing address. Just make sure you use the zip code. Community names are a bit nebulous here. Some communities have 2-3 names, some names seem to be used for 2-3 communities.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:12 AM

15,424 posts, read 25,792,502 times
What would be the "borders" of the area called Arlandria?

Old 08-29-2012, 10:15 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,121 times
Here's a map of the Baileys Crossroads Commercial Revitalization District that might be helpful. On it you can see Skyline, as well as the Arlington County Line and the Alexandria Line. Skyline is in Fairfax County and has a 22041 zip code; the primary 'city' for address is Falls Church, with "Baileys Crossroads" or "Baileys Xrds" as acceptable alternates.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:19 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,084,569 times
Quote:
actually I think it is a falls church mailing address (at least thats what Target gives) though I guess Baileys crossroads would work, and even if you put alex or arlington it will get there (if you put the right zip code).

The schools for skyline would be fairfax county (and i will wager that JEB will pull up the pyramid, and it will be baileys crossroads elem)
The Skyline apartment complex is assigned to Glen Forest ES/Glasgow MS/Stuart HS. Kids who live in the Bailey's area of Falls Church are assigned to either Bailey's ES, Glen Forest ES or Parklawn ES, and then Glasgow MS and Stuart HS. All are Fairfax County schools. Glen Forest ES, Bailey's ES and Stuart HS have Falls Church mailing addresses; Parklawn ES and Glasgow MS have Alexandria mailing addresses.

Last edited by JD984; 08-29-2012 at 10:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia