U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2012, 11:23 AM

15 posts, read 22,546 times

Advertisements

In my 40's and now at a management level position. I haven't had to update/rewrite my resume for 10+ years (same job), but now I'm looking to move on. I've applied for a few jobs over the past years and have heard nothing back. I think I need help with my resume but have no idea how to find a good resume writing service to help me - any suggestions? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 06:44 AM

5,740 posts, read 8,967,707 times
I'd go to the bookstore or library and look for books on this subject. Should be plenty out there.

If you're applying for government jobs, get on USAJOBS.gov, register, and then spend a couple of hours (maybe less, since you've had relatively few jobs) filling out its resume builder. Your resume will end up being about nine pages long--and that's OK.

I'm about your age and position; the best advice I can give is:
  • Don't start with your education. Your experience is much more relevant.
  • Leave off any "objective." (Your objective is to get the job you've applied for!) Or--even worse--a "summary" of who you are as a person. That one's a real eye-roller, perpetrated most often by young, not-so-bright women who are right out of school. Just start with your experience.
  • Some people have this crazy idea that your resume needs to be one page. Yeah, maybe if you're right out of college. Mine is three pages. If the first page has your most recent work experience, then the hiring manager can choose to stop there.
  • Use words from the job listing in your resume. If they say "looking for engaged self-starter," then weasel those words somewhere in your job description.
  • Find someone who works (or has worked) as a professional copy editor to edit your resume. There are obvious errors, and there are more subtle ones (e.g., parallelism, wordiness) that can also cost you an interview.
  • Don't be modest. In addition to the job duties for each position, put something about your accomplishments--ideally something quantifiable (e.g., "increased sales by 23% over 8 months"). Think of something. Exaggeration is OK, so long as you're not actually fabricating.
  • Use plenty of white space; it makes everything more readable.
  • DON'T USE ALL CAPS. Even in a section heading, it looks like shouting.
  • Regarding the demand that you list a salary requirement or your salary history: There's a lot of debate on this. I think such a demand is unfair to the applicant and that legitimate employers will at least present a salary range in the advertisement (to avoid wasting time on people who are already making more than the job pays). I think employers who give no indication of the what the job pays and then demand you name a number are just trying to get someone for as little as possible--which is as short-sighted (leading to the long-term costs of employee attrition) as it is unfair. On the other hand, if they demand this info and you don't comply, they will probably ignore your resume.
Good luck!

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 09-02-2012 at 07:08 AM..

Old 09-02-2012, 08:08 AM

15 posts, read 22,546 times
Great information and tips - thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia