U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2012, 12:38 PM

1 posts, read 4,715 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from Florida to the northern VA area (specifically Manassas) within the next two weeks. I'm excited to be moving but wonder if I will be able to obtain my comfort foods.

Should I stock up on staples and bring them up with me? Or are there any Cuban bakeries, food markets, restaurants in the area? I would greatly appreciate your suggestions! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 04:37 PM

82 posts, read 150,657 times
Welcome!
I too am from the South of Florida and I miss my Cafecito' and Cuban Sandwiches daily!

I don't know about shops that sell cooking products, but I do have experience with one Cuban restaurant in the area.

I went to AguaViva in Alexandria and while the menu was very Cuban (and the Decor like Miami Vice) the food was a 5/10. One thing that bothered me is that we went early on a friday night and were one of the first people there for dinner and they were already out of tostones!! Their Maduros werent good at all and it just didn't taste cuban to me at all. The people were nice and the drinks were really good, but I wouldn't go back.

One place that I really want to try is Habana Village in DC Habanavillage_home

I have heard nothing but good things about the Cuban Sandwich from fast

And for a more expensive/upscale/fusion dining experience, I have friends who say that Cuba Libre is pretty good, but I have not tried it yet. Cuba Libre Restaurant & Rum Bar - Washington, DC

Please let me know if you find any hidden gems! I was down in Florida a few weeks ago and my first stop off the plane was La Carreta!

Old 09-01-2012, 05:09 PM

5,071 posts, read 8,645,219 times
The Carribean Grill in Arlington (Lee Highway and George Mason) does a decent Cuban sandwich, although the overall atmosphere is nothing special and I'm not sure whether the other items on the menu would be considered Cuban.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:36 AM

8 posts, read 25,263 times
if you're out west, Mojitos and Tapas Restaurant in Warrenton may fit the bill. They have Cuban sandwiches and a large assortment of Spanish/Caribbean-influenced menu items.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:43 AM

5,071 posts, read 8,645,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
The Carribean Grill in Arlington (Lee Highway and George Mason) does a decent Cuban sandwich, although the overall atmosphere is nothing special and I'm not sure whether the other items on the menu would be considered Cuban.
Oops - meant to refer to the Caribbean Grill! Here's the menu (seems like some of the other items are indeed Cuban-inspired):

Caribbean Grill menu - Arlington, VA 22207 - (703) 241-8947

Old 09-03-2012, 12:21 AM

5 posts, read 21,444 times
There is a very nice Cuban restaurant in Warrenton, VA called "Mojitos and Tapas". While we've only been there once, we really enjoyed the food. BTW - I am was raised by Cuban parents and I thought the food was quite good. You can visit their website mojitosandtapas.com to view the menu.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:39 PM

2,633 posts, read 3,065,317 times
It depends on what you're looking for. There's a heavy Latino presence in the area, mostly Central American, Peruvians, and Bolivians. There's a lot of overlap between the cuisines. For example, arroz con frijoles, platanitos, and most desserts are easy to find; with some searching you can find a decent lechon. A lot of the Spanish groceries here carry a good supply so no need to raid the almacen before you come up.

The only thing I haven't been able to find is a decent Cuban coffee, but any cafe can swing a decent espresso.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:10 PM

5,740 posts, read 8,981,697 times
Cuban Corner is in Rockville, MD--but if you've got a real hankering, it awaits.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:16 PM

857 posts, read 1,004,131 times
Cubano's in Silver Spring has pretty good Cuban food. Definitely check it out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia