U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 09:19 AM

8,799 posts, read 10,707,607 times

Advertisements

Not by eevil urbanists though. Or even, for a change, by builders of large but tasteful recreations of 17th century european manor houses.

The house next door to Yechon (the very popular Korean restaurant) has been purchased by them, and they hope to tear it down to expand their parking lot (their lot is often full, and people even park at the office building across the street and take their lives into their hands crossing Hummer Road). IIUC this house is the one where a notorious murder took place, its been vacant for some time, and keeping it residential was probably a hardship.

I can't say I object to what seems to me to be a logical change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 09:38 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,902,275 times
Many people refuse to buy a house where a notorious murder took place. Either they think it's creepy, or they worry that they won't be able to sell it later on. I don't know enough about the situation to really comment on it, but it sounds like a reasonable plan.

So what was the murder all about?

Old 09-05-2012, 10:06 AM

882 posts, read 1,780,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
So what was the murder all about?
Annandale VA: Murder information released

Old 09-05-2012, 10:34 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,321,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayess1 View Post

And more:

Trial for suspect in murder of Annandale acupuncturist set for March 21

Old 09-05-2012, 10:43 AM

Gotta admit I wouldn't buy that house. I might even feel a little creepy parking my car in the future parking lot there. Wouldn't want an acupuncturist ghost puncturing my tires!

Old 09-05-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Gotta admit I wouldn't buy that house. I might even feel a little creepy parking my car in the future parking lot there. Wouldn't want an acupuncturist ghost puncturing my tires!

currently people who park at the office building west of hummer - cross hummer - I think thats a dangerous spot to cross. I mean I guess the food there is good enough to risk dying for, though I personally have never liked it THAT much. I'd rather take my chances with ghosts than with speeding SUV's

I also note the new lot will have a brick sidewalk and acorn lights along Hummer, which will add to the ped friendliness of the area (and a vacant SFH isn't much better than a parking lot, IMO)

Old 09-05-2012, 11:42 AM

I'm not that familiar with Hummer Road. Is there a reason they don't put a crossing light there? You'd think that if people regularly cross at that point they would.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
I'm not that familiar with Hummer Road. Is there a reason they don't put a crossing light there? You'd think that if people regularly cross at that point they would.

There is a light not far away, but with no crosswalk, and turning cars (going toward the beltway) make it very difficult to cross. They certainly do not want another light there that would slow down traffic. Also the intention is to rebuild the whole area - eliminate the very awkward service lane, extend a dead end street through what is now a parking lot so right turning vehicles no longer have to use it, etc.
http://www.fcrevit.org/annandale/dow...eTransPlan.pdf

Plus its not like people are constantly crossing there. Its only at the really peak times for the restaurant. I don't think they would put in a light for that, even if they were not expecting to rebuild the whole stretch.

So its a combination of A. Poor planning way back in the bad old days B. The focus on moving vehicles (justified or not I don't care to argue, thats the reality) C. Lack of pedestrian critical mass and D. Lack of funding (see also http://thetysonscorner.com/the-politics-of-route-7/ )

note there is also a crosswalk not far away, but with no light or other protection (not even a yield to pedestrians in crosswalks sign, though thats been requested) Its just far enough to be an issue for someone rushing to the restaurant, plus to get there from the office building parking lot means walking along a stretch with no sidewalk (thus either trespassing on someones lawn or walking in the street on Hummer - a 35MPH posted road)

Some day I may do a photo tour of "walkability in Annandale" It won't be like Clarendon in terms of even the basics of pedestrian needs.

Last edited by brooklynborndad; 09-05-2012 at 11:59 AM..

Old 09-05-2012, 12:03 PM

in any case with the new Yechon lot, theres no longer a reason for a crossing for the yechon customers.

For those folks who are in the residences east of hummer, and want to access the sidewalks on the newly built bridge over the beltway, a crossing would still be useful, but for many reasons thats not a lot of critical mass either. Those sidewalks wont really prove useful till the above transportation is implemented, is my guess.

Retrofitting an older suburban area to be more ped friendly even by the most basic safety criteria, is not easy. Funding, from new dense development with related proffers, would help a great deal.

Last edited by brooklynborndad; 09-05-2012 at 12:13 PM..

Old 09-05-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
the intention is to rebuild the whole area - eliminate the very awkward service lane, extend a dead end street through what is now a parking lot so right turning vehicles no longer have to use it, etc.
http://www.fcrevit.org/annandale/dow...eTransPlan.pdf
Would love to hear your opinions on the various parts of this plans. Also, if they follow this plan, what other changes do you think might follow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Some day I may do a photo tour of "walkability in Annandale" It won't be like Clarendon in terms of even the basics of pedestrian needs.
That would be great. We don't have many photos of this part of Nova at all. I'd also love to see photos of Lake Barcroft, Lincolnia, and more photos of Shirlington. And Tiger Beer would appreciate photos of Arlandria, I'm sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia