Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2012, 03:37 PM

26,678 posts, read 41,509,172 times

Advertisements

Basically I bought a new car at a dealer in Fairfax. I have it registered for property tax purposes in Arlington since that is where I live and the car is garaged. Today I received a 2012 Personal Prop. Registration form from Fairfax County mailed to my address which is OBVIOUSLY in Arlington County NOT Fairfax County. What should I do about this? Ignore it or what?

Last edited by The Dissenter; 09-07-2012 at 04:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 03:39 PM

13,908 posts, read 39,079,600 times
Contact the Dealer! Dont ignore!!!

Old 09-07-2012, 05:29 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,497,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Basically I bought a new car at a dealer in Fairfax. I have it registered for property tax purposes in Arlington since that is where I live and the car is garaged. Today I received a 2012 Personal Prop. Registration form from Fairfax County mailed to my address which is OBVIOUSLY in Arlington County NOT Fairfax County. What should I do about this? Ignore it or what?
There's no contact info on the form? You'll probably need to contact the FFX tax office and show proof of residence in AC. Have you registered the car with the AC tax office? Whatever you do, DO NOT IGNORE THIS.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
There's no contact info on the form? You'll probably need to contact the FFX tax office and show proof of residence in AC. Have you registered the car with the AC tax office? Whatever you do, DO NOT IGNORE THIS.
Yeah, I tried to contact them, but I was literally a few seconds late on their closing time. I do have proof that I'm registered in Arlington.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:43 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,618,681 times
Most likely, the "garage jurisdiction" was entered incorrectly....either by the dealer or DMV people.

It is quite common to live in one jurisdiction and keep (garage) a vehicle in another (kid has car at school, vacation homes, etc)....so an Arlington mailing address does not mean that a vehicle has to also be garaged in Arlington County.

The garage jurisdiction is shown on the registration card, so I'd look at that first, and if it erroneously says Fairfax County...get the DMV to fix it, then notify Fairfax County that the vehicle is in fact garaged in Arlington County.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Most likely, the "garage jurisdiction" was entered incorrectly....either by the dealer or DMV people.

It is quite common to live in one jurisdiction and keep (garage) a vehicle in another (kid has car at school, vacation homes, etc)....so an Arlington mailing address does not mean that a vehicle has to also be garaged in Arlington County.

The garage jurisdiction is shown on the registration card, so I'd look at that first, and if it erroneously says Fairfax County...get the DMV to fix it, then notify Fairfax County that the vehicle is in fact garaged in Arlington County.
I checked it tonight and it indeed says Fairfax County. I'm going to see if the dealer is able to fix it since it is indeed their fault.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:31 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,618,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I checked it tonight and it indeed says Fairfax County. I'm going to see if the dealer is able to fix it since it is indeed their fault.

Okay, but keep in mind that fixing the DMV (State) records doesn't automatically fix the Fairfax County Tax Assessors records. Once the DMV record is correct, I would send that 2012 Fairfax Personal Property form back to them, clearly stating that the vehicle is garaged in Arlington.

Old 09-08-2012, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Okay, but keep in mind that fixing the DMV (State) records doesn't automatically fix the Fairfax County Tax Assessors records. Once the DMV record is correct, I would send that 2012 Fairfax Personal Property form back to them, clearly stating that the vehicle is garaged in Arlington.
Definitely.

We don't agree much but thanks for the advice.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:24 AM

882 posts, read 2,082,313 times
Quote:
This, but in reality I wouldn't rely on the dealer, even though it's their fault. Handle it & know it's done right...

Old 09-10-2012, 04:52 PM

Okay, I contacted my dealer and they say they had a rep (who they gave me his info) from Fairfax County who removed me from their system. I just need to get an updated registration card tomorrow at the DMV which is just as well since I still need to change my Kentucky DL over anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia