Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 01:24 PM

687 posts, read 1,377,448 times

Advertisements

My experience and that of others who I have spoken to is that sort of horse trading rarely happens in Fairfax County.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
Not true at all. If you are found guilty of a different infraction (ie 9 over instead of 19 over), the points are less. The judge isn't lowering your points, but instead is lowering the offense - which can carry less (or no) points. The judge can also lower the fine or give you traffic school.

Most importantly if the officer doesn't show up (it DOES happen) the ticket is usually dismissed. I went to court once and there were at least three people there all wanting to fight a "failure to stop" at a stop sign from the same cop that had since been changed to a yield sign. Not saying they were going to win, but the officer didn't show and everyone there for him (including me on a different charge) got their ticket dismissed. Everyone that "did the right thing" and mailed in got a nice 3 points and $150 fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 04:50 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
The OP hasn't been back yet but I wonder which court system this involves? Might make it easier to assist if we knew. I've been in most of the NOVA court systems and it is possible to receive a reduction in a charge in ALL courts but it certainly is easier in PWC, Fauquier and a few others. Fairfax Co is one of the tougher ones but it is still possible.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:38 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,439,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
The OP hasn't been back yet but I wonder which court system this involves? Might make it easier to assist if we knew. I've been in most of the NOVA court systems and it is possible to receive a reduction in a charge in ALL courts but it certainly is easier in PWC, Fauquier and a few others. Fairfax Co is one of the tougher ones but it is still possible.
I am going to be in Fairfax County. No tickets since 2004.
The ticket occurred in May; the 1st date was July and I got a continuance. The 2nd date was late August and I got a continuance.

When pulled over I was very polite and respectful.
So what do you think?
Plea guilty or not (because sometimes they will drop it)?
For a ticket there is no prosecutor, only the cop, should I approach?

If they do pursue a trial, should I fight or plead guilty, take responsibility, and ask for leniency?

Old 09-10-2012, 08:13 PM

Need to know what the ticket was and what kind of record do you have. Last ticket in 04 doesn't help much if before that you were getting tickets on a regular basis.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:50 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,439,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Need to know what the ticket was and what kind of record do you have. Last ticket in 04 doesn't help much if before that you were getting tickets on a regular basis.
This ticket is for 54 in 35.
2004 was for 60 in 45.
2002 was for the same.

That's it. All on Braddock Road (different segements)

Old 09-10-2012, 09:13 PM

Far from perfect but certainly not a bad record compared to many I've seen. If you haven't done so you might consider having your cars speedometer checked at a shop qualified to do this. If it's off at all in your favor you can show this to the judge. You can contest the charge but if you lose you will be found guilty of the charge written. You could plead guilty with an explanation. No explanation will help but this is the chance to beg for forgiveness with a shot at how you'll never be in his/her court again.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:02 AM

957 posts, read 2,022,046 times
In my (very limited) experience in Fairfax, if you plead guilty with a good driving record the likely (but not only) outcome is that the fine will be significantly reduced, but the ticket and the related DMV points stand.
It is also fairly difficult to find the officer before hand many times as well -- sometimes they've been around in the hall, but many times not.
If you are found guilty (and there isn't much reason to think you won't be outside of Bigfoot's advice) the outcome won't usually be better than pleading not guilty. Bigfoot424 usually has the right scoop on these things.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:48 PM

675 posts, read 1,816,711 times
Quote:
Not true at all. If you are found guilty of a different infraction (ie 9 over instead of 19 over), the points are less. The judge isn't lowering your points, but instead is lowering the offense - which can carry less (or no) points. The judge can also lower the fine or give you traffic school.

Most importantly if the officer doesn't show up (it DOES happen) the ticket is usually dismissed. I went to court once and there were at least three people there all wanting to fight a "failure to stop" at a stop sign from the same cop that had since been changed to a yield sign. Not saying they were going to win, but the officer didn't show and everyone there for him (including me on a different charge) got their ticket dismissed. Everyone that "did the right thing" and mailed in got a nice 3 points and $150 fine.
I'm in this case today, $111 fine ticket and 3 point for disobey at stop sign.

I did stop, but how can I argue with the policeman from stopping at 2 sec or 3 sec? He said that I didn't fully stop.

Please advise,

PS: I'm in PA

Old 10-09-2012, 08:11 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,426,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBy View Post
I'm in this case today, $111 fine ticket and 3 point for disobey at stop sign.

I did stop, but how can I argue with the policeman from stopping at 2 sec or 3 sec? He said that I didn't fully stop.

PS: I'm in PA
The case I was talking about was where a right hand turn lane that had a stop sign was later changed to a yield sign.

Failure to stop at stop sign tickets are impossible to beat. Of course all of the perfect internet drivers will claim they always come to a complete stop, but the reality of driving is that very few people actually come to a COMPLETE stop at a stop sign if there is no one coming from the other direction. Unless you completely blew through the sign you were just one of the unlucky ones.

PS This is the Virginia forum so there is not really anything I can say that would be applicable to courts in PA. You can try pleading guilty to something that doesn't have points, ask for traffic school (if it exists), or just mail it in.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
The case I was talking about was where a right hand turn lane that had a stop sign was later changed to a yield sign.

Failure to stop at stop sign tickets are impossible to beat. Of course all of the perfect internet drivers will claim they always come to a complete stop, but the reality of driving is that very few people actually come to a COMPLETE stop at a stop sign if there is no one coming from the other direction. Unless you completely blew through the sign you were just one of the unlucky ones.

PS This is the Virginia forum so there is not really anything I can say that would be applicable to courts in PA. You can try pleading guilty to something that doesn't have points, ask for traffic school (if it exists), or just mail it in.
Although in my 30 years I probably wrote the fewest tickets of anyone on my department I did write these (stop signs) when I signed up to work the Aggressive Driving details. I could never believe when I would sit and watch a stop sign in a problem area and I'd observe someone approach and roll right through without stopping. I would always watch the wheels and if they didn't come to a complete stop I would pull them over. I didn't write them all (only the ones who ran it with just barely slowing) but the drivers almost always swore that they did stop. Some certainly seemed like they believed themselves and some you could tell were lying through their teeth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia