U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 09:08 AM

8,479 posts, read 6,056,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyguy View Post
Hmmm...okay, maybe this requires an actively working app on a smartphone? We use LG Xpressions - good dumb phones.

Nope, my phone is a cheapo non smart cellphone, and I got the alert - I happened to be biking that day, but fortunately had just gotten on a local bus when I got the alert, and was on the bus till the danger had passed.

(and no, I don't think the odds of wind capable of lifting the bus were very great - apparently at WMATA and the driver did not think so)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 09:18 AM

882 posts, read 892,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gekkota View Post
My sister--on the other hand-- did NOT get the alert on her fancy-schmancy Verizon iPhone!
Interesting. FWIW, check out the list of Verizon phones that do work with the system. Notice any particular brand NOT listed?
Wireless Emergency Alert Capable Devices

Old 09-10-2012, 09:32 AM

136 posts, read 151,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayess1 View Post
Interesting. FWIW, check out the list of Verizon phones that do work with the system. Notice any particular brand NOT listed?
Wireless Emergency Alert Capable Devices
Yeah, my sister was not quite as amused as I was that I got the alert and she didn't!
From what I read, iPhone users will be able to receive the alerts once they update their OS to iOS 6.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:33 AM

1,256 posts, read 1,248,203 times
Ah, okay - just surfed ATT's site and a couple different pages say, respectively, "We support these three phones as of Q1 2012" with a list of three obscure phones and "The box the phone came in will say it supports the alert system".

Our phones were neither on the list of three nor do their boxes say they support the system.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:58 AM

563 posts, read 703,404 times
I received an alert. Unfortunately, I was alone on a bicycle on a back country road miles from any potential shelter. Twas a fun experience.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:39 AM

882 posts, read 892,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfs View Post
I received an alert. Unfortunately, I was alone on a bicycle on a back country road miles from any potential shelter. Twas a fun experience.
Yikes. Seems as if there was more damage in some local areas than was expected. Making it thru ok =

Old 09-10-2012, 11:04 AM

23 posts, read 28,118 times
I got the alert. I'm with Verizon, but I don't have a smartphone. Nice feature.

This reminded me of the old emergency siren that would sound at noon every day in the town I grew up in. Simple but effective. Of course, it wouldn't work in a 'town' of one million people.

Unlike the derecho which ripped up our trees, this storm did very little damage our way.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:38 AM

706 posts, read 616,525 times
I have Sprint and was in Glen Burnie at the time (in the path of the tornado that was seen in Bowie). We were watching tv, and the channels all went out for the emergency alert broadcast. I never got anything on my phone. You'd think this would be a more widepsread feature...

Old 09-10-2012, 12:15 PM

115 posts, read 277,994 times
I signed up through Loudoun and Fairfax counties awhile ago for weather updates, and I got updates from both counties. They came through text message and email. They had been sending alerts since early afternoon and had this storm pinpointed very accurately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia