Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2012, 09:48 PM

2 posts, read 5,194 times

Advertisements

Hi

I got an opportunity to work in Mclean, VA starting next week. My plan was to bring the family within a month's timeframe and in process of renting a place near Churchill School for my elder kid. However, I never experienced the kind of waiting lists I am seeing in this area for an All Day Care for my 3.5 year old. Right from Tysons through Mclean, I have tried to contact and get her a seat in day care centers but have failed. Its easy to get her in half day schools. I have no idea behind the business of half day care centers and have none in our area. Since we both work, this is a challenge that is putting a dent into the whole move. I want to stick to Tysons or Mclean area (22102, 22101) since what I learnt from this great forum site is to stay near the work area . I welcome your suggestions and appreciate your time. Best Regards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 06:46 AM

9,778 posts, read 15,788,843 times
It's a very congested area, therefore there is a great demand for services. You just need to keep plugging away and get on waiting lists. You might not be able to get what you want at first - might have to travel farther than you desire. But you may eventually be moved into a center that is near you. It is what it is because NoVA is where the jobs are.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:39 AM

198 posts, read 358,246 times
Also, though the waiting lists can seem very long, it's often hard to predict when a space will be available. This area is somewhat transient, so spaces may become available unexpectedly if people move on or a family decides to have one parent stay home or any number of different scenarios. The other thing is that when a space is available, depending on how the centers do their waiting lists, it might be that not everyone on the list needs that particular space. I only have experience with trying to place an infant in a daycare center, but I was told on a Monday or Tuesday in April that the center didn't expect a space until fall (and I was like tenth on the list), and then got a call on Friday of the same week that they had an immediate opening. That was literally my last day of maternity leave, so my son was able to start there the following Monday. I realize that I was very, very lucky that it happened this way. However, my point is that when a space opens up, there could be several people on the waiting list, but maybe not all of them need a spot in that particular classroom, or they haven't moved to the area yet, or they've accepted a spot at a different center and no longer need this one or whatever.

The other thing to consider would be looking at any in-home daycare providers. I've heard that often it is easier to find availability without the waitlists with in-home providers, but I never did that specific research myself.

Good luck! I hope you are able to find a suitable care provider for your little one so that the family can all be together soon.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:45 AM

84 posts, read 215,467 times
I would also look into ethnic day care centers. I know one family that takes their kids to a Russian day care in McLean

Old 09-11-2012, 09:20 AM

116 posts, read 427,993 times
Have you tried Fun and Friends?

Fun & Friends Home

Old 09-11-2012, 02:31 PM

214 posts, read 487,996 times
There are a few daycares in Falls Church that are somewhat convenient to Tysons-try Columbia Baptist Church's Daycare and there is also one called Falls Church Daycare on Virginia Ave. I don't know anything about the quality though. I think there is a Birght Horizons in Tysons also but I assume you already contacted all the Tysons Corner daycares.

ETA=You could also hire an afternoon nanny to pick your child up from a morning preschool program.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:59 PM

247 posts, read 1,141,216 times
Not sure if this applies, but thought I'd mention it - does your place of employment offer anything in terms of preferential placement? I had no idea my Dh's company did, but apparently they've negotiated with seveal daycares/ schools that as a new employee in the area, your name gets put on the top of the list. I imagine lots of the largers companies in the area do this, so if it's a possibility, be sure to mention where you work.

Lots of nannies pick up (and drop off) kids at my son's preschool, that's pretty common around here.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:05 AM

2 posts, read 5,194 times
Thanks for your responses. I really appreciate you spending time to write back. Yes, I have tried all possible day cares (>12) in the area. So both of my kids (day care and school going) are in waiting lists, in som eplaces they are like 65th . I will start looking into Falls Church. My company does not have any sponsorships with these care centers. Is there some way to find this Nanny service? If thats a norm, maybe I will consider it in the interim. Does anyone has experience with Tysons Corner Children Center? Thanks again for your time and valuable comments.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:28 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,922,157 times
We used to live in McLean, not far from Churchill Road Elementary. Many families in the area use nannies, au pairs, or (less common) family day care instead of day care centers. (It's too late for you to get an au pair for this school year, but it is something to keep in mind for down the road if you have an extra bedroom and are comfortable with the au pair program.)

Nannies can be found through agencies, but also word of mouth. If you are definitely going to be living in the Churchill Road community, the parents there might be your best source of information. Try calling the school and getting contact information for the PTA leaders. They are usually very plugged into this sort of stuff, and might know a family with a fulltime nanny whose youngest child just started kindergarten -- they want to keep the nanny, but don't want to pay her all day when their children are in school, and would love to find someone in the neighborhood who could use her during the school day. For example. (My brother is in this situation as we speak, and is still looking for nanny-share situation, but alas not in your community). Even if you prefer to use a center, in-home care might be a workable alternative for the time being.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:15 AM

513 posts, read 961,639 times
TCCC. Best day care in Tysons Corner. Sent my daughter there as well as 3 other families I know. Waiting list, maybe. Call to get on the list. Great location off of Grensboro drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia