U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 01:30 PM

2,688 posts, read 5,954,114 times

Advertisements

I think you'll probably quickly have a waiting list. Among other things parents will especially appreciate that you have a dedicated area of your house, so kids aren't being shunted into some rooms so family members can use others on a main level.

Open concept floor plan sounds great. Think about whether you want a quiet area for nappers -- maybe something with a glass door? Of course there are probably regulations on that.

Be careful about presenting anything to your neighbors TOO early. It only takes one to cause you a lot of start-up headaches. It might be best to get "official" approval first, then talk to your neighbors and ask for their input as to how to be considerate and minimize the impact on them. Or maybe notifying them IS part of the approval process?

Thank carefully about hours, vacations, and substitute care. It's easy to burn out doing this sort of work. Parents will want to know well ahead of time if you'll be taking off any days (federal holidays? long weekends?) or weeks (holiday time? summer vacation?) so they can either plan substitute care or take their own vacations then. Also, will you charge them for days that they don't bring their children (illness, their own days off, their own vacations?) I don't know what the norm is, but I've heard of providers who don't charge and others who charge for the child's "slot" even when the child isn't using it.

Snow day policy? Policy when the federal government is closed for an emergency? When the power is out like after the derecho (there may be safety laws governing that)? Some parents may ask if they can leave their older children with you if there's a snow day from school but the parents still need to go to work. Late pick up fees? If the mother has a new baby and is on maternity leave for weeks or months, will you hold that space or take in a new client?

Also, when your wife is sick or has any kind of emergency, such as needing to go out of town for a sick parent, you'll need some kind of backup care. And if she has assistants come in, some kind of substitute for them if necessary.

Not trying to nit-pick here, just bringing up some scenarios that I've heard over the years from friends who use in-home daycare and others who provide home daycare.

I agree that the year contract might cause some hesitation. People's work locations might change, a parent might cut back to part-time or decide to leave work to care for the child, or might lose their job.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 02:39 PM

2,694 posts, read 6,245,939 times
Just don't be like these people: Police raid illegal day care outside Dale City | InsideNova

I can't imagine anyone leaving their kids in that environment.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:01 PM

10,598 posts, read 12,102,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolandSprings View Post
Is your wife planning to have help? What will you do when it is time for a family vacation? Be sure to give lots of notice. I'd also be annoyed if there was an at home daycare next to my home and it disturbed my peace after a long day of work.

Speaking from experience here I can tell you that it really does bother me. I put up with it because I want to keep the peace, but after so many years, I admit that I am resentful. The kids aren't doing anything wrong, but day after day it is noisy. During the summer, thankfully I am at work, but I have older kids who are at home, or I've had guests and they tell me that the kids are out very early in the morning playing and they can hear right in their bedrooms. And we are on 1/2 acre lots.

And while living in a neighborhood sort of exempts you from privacy, I truly cannot just sit out on my deck and read or have dinner or anything because there is literally a playground right next to me. Again, they aren't doing anything wrong but I feel like I cannot enjoy my backyard at all. In the morning, the parents walk between my house and my neighbor's house to deliver the kids to the back/basement door. This starts at 6:00AM. They kids are either crying, misbehaving, and/or the parents are reprimanding them. I don't think they realize how much noise carries at that time of morning.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:25 AM

268 posts, read 341,115 times
Good point, we will definitely talk to my neighbors about it. The good news for us here is our direct neighbors have schedules that shouldn't be an issue with the increased traffic. Our houses are hopefully spaced out enough with landscaping that separate to not pose any noise or privacy problems, we are very friendly with our neighbors and we wouldn't want to jeopardize those relationships.

We have had friends already say that would love to take their kids to us, but are too far off of their commutes to do so.

Last edited by Jon_In_NOVA; 09-13-2012 at 06:26 AM.. Reason: font

Old 09-13-2012, 07:50 AM

198 posts, read 310,829 times
I'd suggest looking into getting licensed in the state of Virginia for in-home childcare. The Department of Social Services website has lots of information regarding regulations and codes, licensing information, resources, etc.

This link should go to the section about "Family Day Home" but under the drop-down menu labeled children, there's a whole section on childcare:
Family Day Homes (FDH) - Virginia Department of Social Services

Old 11-23-2014, 08:53 AM

2 posts, read 936 times
Hello all,

What's the fastest way to get a daycare license in va?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or