U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 01:48 PM

4 posts, read 7,224 times

Advertisements

I am a graduate student interning in Washington, D.C. from January 2013 through April 2013. I have been searching for a studio apartment, but I am finding the prices are incredibly expensive for 4 month leases. I am turned off by the $500 or $600 amenity fees tacked on to the first month's rent, and building controlled access to heating and cooling. I have already investigated several Archstone and Bozzuto properties, and their approximate cost for 4 months is $2300 - $2500/month.

My question is: Can I find another company or housing complex that is more reasonable?

I require the following:
Location: Arlington, Washington, D.C. or Alexandria (a safe location since I am a single female and will be walking home after dark most of the time)
Type of housing: Studio apartment or 1 bedroom
Must be 5 - 7 minute walking distance from the orange or blue line Metro
Washer/dryer inside the apartment
Would prefer underground parking, but it is not necessary

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

I should mention that I am not a student at any D.C./NoVA/Maryland university. I am only moving to the area for the internship and then I will return home once it has concluded.

Last edited by Intern30; 09-16-2012 at 02:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 02:40 PM

4,489 posts, read 9,545,108 times
The $2300 price tag doesn't seem too out of line for what you're asking for, unfortunately. A year long lease in those locations with parking and easy metro access will easily run $1800, so the extra fees for the shortened lease bump it up.

I would suggest any of the following options to lower your price tag:
  • Get a roommate. I know, I know--no one wants them. But everyone here has them while they're in school, most for a few years once they're out of school. You're only here a few months, go with it.
  • Look on bus routes instead of subway routes. If your classes are predictable, this isn't as much of an issue. If you're going to be staying late or going to class at odd times, it might be more of a pain.
  • If you'll be on campus during typical work hours, look for apartments that offer free shuttles to the metro. There are a bunch around the landmark/Seminary areas that offer free shuttles to various blue line stations during rush hours.
  • Look on craigslist for sublets or short term options. Unfortunately, these won't be available until at most 60 days prior (when tenants give their notice), so you won't find much until November. Still, look at what's available now to get an idea of the price points.
  • Sign a year long lease and pay the lease breakage fee if you can't find someone to take over your lease (you should be able to). Risky, but sometimes the break fee is only 1 month's rent, which may be cheaper than paying the short term lease fees for 4 months anyway.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:12 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,312,830 times
Check with your university and ask if they know of any faculty members that have leads on short-term rental apartments. Oftentimes university faculty will know of such apartments for visiting faculty, research associates, etc. (That's how I obtained my first apartment when I moved to DC.)

Old 09-17-2012, 10:04 AM

4,037 posts, read 8,053,033 times
Why not go on a craigslist and get a place that has a month to month lease? This might work out better because you'd be most likely dealing with an individual owner versus a faceless property management company.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:47 AM

1,345 posts, read 3,877,082 times
Leave your car at home or live in VA or MD. Cheap, underground parking and no roommates do not go together.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:56 AM

84 posts, read 194,458 times
Check Riverhouse Apartments - Studio, One and Two Bedroom Apartments located in Pentagon City
Studios are from 1500's, month-to-month is usually $200 or so higher. Outside parking is 40 or 50 dollars per month. Utilities are not included.
Very nice neighborhood, used to live there for a few years - safe and convenient.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:14 PM

7,911 posts, read 9,613,923 times
Try looking here....

Furnished Apartments, Corporate Housing in Washington DC, DC - Temporary Housing

Old 09-17-2012, 02:38 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,748,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbee_0711 View Post
Check Riverhouse Apartments - Studio, One and Two Bedroom Apartments located in Pentagon City
Studios are from 1500's, month-to-month is usually $200 or so higher. Outside parking is 40 or 50 dollars per month. Utilities are not included.
Very nice neighborhood, used to live there for a few years - safe and convenient.
Within a stone's throw of the Pentagon City and Crystal City Metro stations, it says. One wouldhave to have quite an arm, I believe, at least judging from the map. I woldn't mind living there for 4 months. Should be far enough from the airport to avoid jet noise. I'd want to check further on proximity to public transportation.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:15 PM

84 posts, read 194,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoi137 View Post
Within a stone's throw of the Pentagon City and Crystal City Metro stations, it says. One wouldhave to have quite an arm, I believe, at least judging from the map. I woldn't mind living there for 4 months. Should be far enough from the airport to avoid jet noise. I'd want to check further on proximity to public transportation.
Pentagon City Metro Station is about 5-7 minute walk, depending on how long your feet are
Crystal City Metro Station is quite far to walk to in my view, but you can still walk on a nice day to the restaurants there. There is no apparently noticeable jet noise, but helicopters from Pentagon fly around all the time. In any case, I highly recommend this area - I loved it.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:05 AM

7,965 posts, read 18,025,347 times
If the concern is Reagan National Airport then it shouldn't be a problem during the overnight hours as due to noise abatement rules, planes don't fly in or out between about 11pm and 6am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia