Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2012, 06:27 PM

146 posts, read 444,047 times

Advertisements

I was wondering how long the commute would be from the northern Woodbridge area to Catholic University of America in NE D.C.

I'd be near a VRE station. Would that be the fastest way? Or would it be quicker to take the Metro or just drive?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 07:05 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,093,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99percent View Post
I was wondering how long the commute would be from the northern Woodbridge area to Catholic University of America in NE D.C.

I'd be near a VRE station. Would that be the fastest way? Or would it be quicker to take the Metro or just drive?

Thanks!
When do you have class? I drive from Woodbridge to American University but have class at night so am driving against traffic and don't have to pay to park. When I've had to go during the day I took the bus to the Franconia metro station.

I haven't used the VRE and maybe others enjoy it, but there are cheaper alternatives to $8.10 one way, plus you would still have to take the metro from Union Station.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
When do you have class? I drive from Woodbridge to American University but have class at night so am driving against traffic and don't have to pay to park. When I've had to go during the day I took the bus to the Franconia metro station.

I haven't used the VRE and maybe others enjoy it, but there are cheaper alternatives to $8.10 one way, plus you would still have to take the metro from Union Station.
Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure yet.....still in the application process. One of the things I am considering about DC area school (AU is another possibility) is the length of commute from Woodbridge.

Taking the VRE appears to be expensive and a pain, considering I would have to take the Metro from union Station like you said.

I guess I would have to face a "double commute." Get to Franconia, then get to my trasnfer Metro station and to the campus itself.

I'm just trying to figure out if I''m setting myself up for an hour commute. I'm not to set on the idea of going away to college -- here in Ohio I could stay home and drive 30min to a college. Woodbridge VA is a sort of "second-residence" for me.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:37 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
I'm just trying to figure out if I''m setting myself up for an hour commute.
Yes; more than an hour is likely, especially if you bus it to the Franconia/Springfield Metro station instead of taking the VRE. Yes, the commuter rail is expensive but many people - primarily households priced out of points further north - fill up the trains daily. All part of life in Northern Virginia/DC. Unless your classes start after 10:30 and/or end after 6:30, driving will be a nightmare.

It will probably be worth deciding whether the prestige of the program at CU is worth the commute compared to your option there in Ohio.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:10 PM

160 posts, read 279,307 times
I agree, it will be much longer than an hour each way. I have a 10 minute drive to Franconia-Springfield metro station, and go to NoMa station, which is a few stops before CU stop. My door to door commute is about 70 minutes. Your drive to the metro will be longer than 10 minutes, and your train ride will be longer, too. Also, parking costs 4.75/day at metro stations, so factor that in to your costs. VRE may be cheaper overall, since you don't have to pay for parking, but service is more limited than metro.
If your schedule allows, I would take VRE. You can read and study on the train without having to worry about transfers.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:19 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,093,945 times
When I don't drive to school my door to door between driving to commuter lot, the bus, the metro, and university shuttle was 90 minutes. My drive is half that, so night classes are really a plus. There are also a number of commuter buses that go into the city that might work depending on the time. The commuter lots are free. Www.prtctransit.org

Old 09-22-2012, 10:41 PM

Thank you all again. Just two quick follow-up questions:

1) Would it be possible to drive to CUA? I would try to schedule my classes during off-hours, but avoiding rush hour all the time would be unlikely.

2) I'm aware of CUA, AU, and George Mason. Any other colleges in DC/Woodbridge/NorthernVA area with similar academics?

Thanks!

Old 09-23-2012, 05:00 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:

1) Would it be possible to drive to CUA? I would try to schedule my classes during off-hours, but avoiding rush hour all the time would be unlikely.

2) I'm aware of CUA, AU, and George Mason. Any other colleges in DC/Woodbridge/NorthernVA area with similar academics?

Thanks!

I don't know what you're studying but have you checked out Marymount University in Arlington? Many of my daughter's friends went there and several of my colleagues have kids who go there. Also, several people I know went for their Master's.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:32 PM

270 posts, read 908,561 times
Quote:

Thanks!
How about Mary Washington? Other way, but might be an easier commute. We live in Alexandria and our neighbor commuted to Catholic via metro. It was painful. Driving was just too hard, there is no easy way to get to Catholic from VA. AU is a little easier to get to from VA because of the Key Bridge/Foxhall Rd, but still takes 35-40 minutes from here.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:22 AM

687 posts, read 1,376,670 times
Another option would be to take the Omniride bus from one of the commuter lots in Woodbridge and then transfer to the subway once you get into DC. It would probably take 1 1/2 hours. The buses are sparse after 6:30pm so if you are taking classes after dinner you should take the Metro from Springfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia