Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 03:59 PM

28 posts, read 39,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
are you saying you plan to drive into the city? Because I think people were thinking about VRE train or metro access. It's a shame to cut out that option, to be honest.

Don't rule out MD - a friend of mine lives in Cheverly and loves it.
What's a "VRE train?" I am fine using the metro actually, and would also consider a bus for all or part of commutes. I know enough about DC to know it's horrific to drive in. When I say trains, I mean Amtrak mostly or anything that's similar. What else is there or what's the diff?

Thx re. MD but I'd heard just about anything in MD is silly expensive too. No?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 04:11 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,867,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe55 View Post
Depends on the schools. Montgomery County and Howard County have great schools and are ridicously expensive.

Anne Arundel has some areas with great schools, others not so much. Most of PG County has terrible schools and have some rough areas interspersed with nicer areas that are expensive. Southern MD is more rural and some areas are really trashy, like trailer park trashy, so I would think those areas probably aren't that expensive. But then you also have mansions and huge estates down there.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:31 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
Quote:
What's a "VRE train?" I am fine using the metro actually, and would also consider a bus for all or part of commutes. I know enough about DC to know it's horrific to drive in. When I say trains, I mean Amtrak mostly or anything that's similar. What else is there or what's the diff?

VRE train: Rail service in Virginia - VRE

The long distance commute buses all drop you off at the metro, but by the time you factor in bus fare and metro cost and transition time I don't know why you wouldn't just ride the VRE.

Still think it's going to be a stretch with your 90 minute maximum, unless you end up taking the VRE and your job is right next to the drop off point (and thus doesn't require switching to metro). Realize too that with the cost of these daily commutes (could easily be up to $20 round trip each day), you're increasing your expenses by several hundred dollars a month, so that cheaper mortgage so far out isn't quite the deal anymore.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:41 PM

1,449 posts, read 3,170,151 times
Yes, there are commuter trains that are NOT Amtrak in this area (although some of them use the amtrak lines). VRE (VA) and MARC (MD) trains are used by a lot of people. There are also Metro busses, as well as local busses (OmniRide, Loudoun Transit, Fairfax Connector are just a few). We have an extensive system that links you to hubs throughout the city.

If you don't have kids in school and are willing to use public transportation, you have a LOT of options. Shoot, you could even buy in Baltimore and commute to downtown DC. Yes, a lot depends on your point to point commute and whether there is an option that works for you to get from here to there.

There are even car pools, both planned and semi-planned (this is called slugging, which is somewhat organized carpooling with strangers from commuter lots in order to use the HOV lanes on certain highways).

Where is your work going to be - that should help us with suggestions.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:36 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
It depends where the work is because I-66, I-95, I-395, I-270 and a lot of other major roads into downtown DC are basically parking lots from 7am to 9:30am. I live 12 miles from work and it takes me 1 hour to drive, of which the last 3 miles takes over 45 minutes. So Hagerstown and places south or west Virginia isn't going to work because of the brutal I-66, I-95/395 and I-270 traffic.

Maybe southern MD and Anne Arundel would work, but you are probably talking about some trashy areas for the houses to be that cheap.

Maybe the OP should do what my buddy did. He bought 10 acres of land in West Virginia mountains, where he built a 3 season luxury cabin for $150,000. It took 3 to 4 hours to get there, but he spent weekends and vacations there for years fishing, hunting, rafting, ATVing, etc. and got to play mountain man until he got married and his new wife wanted to sell it to buy a nicer home in Fairfax.
I know those places are further than 90 minutes by car. I live right about at the 90 minute arc. However, if the OP uses MARC or VRE trains then those areas would be options.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:52 AM

9,874 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I know those places are further than 90 minutes by car. I live right about at the 90 minute arc. However, if the OP uses MARC or VRE trains then those areas would be options.
With the stated price limitation, the OP will not be able to buy a place extremely close to the train station (as these are normally pricier). So, assuming the house is within 20 minutes of the station, and the office is within 10 minutes of Union Station, the train ride should not be longer that an hour. With these parameters the extent they can go is:

MARC - Anywhere on the Penn or Camden line, and out to Dickerson on the Brunswick line.
VRE - To Quantico on the Fredericksburg line, and Manassas on the Manassas line.

A quick search indicated that there are homes (with at least 6K SF land and under 300K) are available near Manassas and Triangle; but I don't know if these are good or bad areas.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:46 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,513,808 times
Bowie or Laurel might be a good choice for OP. I'd be asking on the Maryland boards too.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:42 PM

146 posts, read 343,385 times
I live in the Fredericksburg area and most of my neighbors commute to D.C. or the surrounding area. 90 min will get you here to Crystal City according to my neighbor. $300 should get you 2000-2500 square feet on a 1/4 acre lot in a nice neighborhood. The historic district of Fred is expensive but Spotsylvania much less expensive.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:59 PM

513 posts, read 961,183 times
Quote:

You sound confused. First you said no trains. VRE is a amtrak type train that goes into Union station. Now your saying you will take the bus which is less reliable then the metro!

Before you buy in Fredricksburg/Spotsvalnia, one day drive down there stay in the Holiday Inn that is off of the highyway. Get up at 5:30, drive to the VRE stop. And take the train to where your office is. Whole trip from start to finish could take 90 mins to 2 hours.

Others have suggested Ann Arundel or PG County. Shorter commute, will get less home for 300K then you would in Fredricksburg. Easier commute. 300K for an older SFH in Bowie is another option in pG County.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:21 PM

130 posts, read 362,302 times
Before you buy in Fredricksburg/Spotsvalnia, one day drive down there stay in the Holiday Inn that is off of the highyway. Get up at 5:30, drive to the VRE stop. And take the train to where your office is. Whole trip from start to finish could take 90 mins to 2 hours.

------
I'd suggest two days: first day take the VRE (or MARC, if somewhere in MD). Second day- drive it during normal commuting time.

I'd recommend mid-week (Tues, Wed) for the experiemnt. Thurs/Fri can be odd commuting days, with some people bolting for the weekend early. Alot of people work from home on either Mon or Fri, whcih skews the commutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia