Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 05:33 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,723,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger69 View Post
It is a wonderful program (and I have a child in it), but is designed more to meet children's different learning needs rather than as a measure or reflection of individual worth or likelihood of future success in life.
^^ I agree with this. (Full disclosure: I have two children in the program.) It is not a ribbon or trophy to be won (although admittedly there are some parents that think that way ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 05:34 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,723,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
But if you have that kind of kid, the GT center or whatever they call it now will offer him a learning environment that simply cannot be replicated in his base school.
^^ I also agree with this. The peer group in the Center environment really sets the learning environment apart.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:24 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,465,319 times
Wonderful points of view. Thanks a lot.

K

Old 09-22-2012, 10:15 AM

154 posts, read 373,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutra11 View Post
Thanks for the replies.

The reason I asked was because it seemed like these parents absolutely wanted their kids to get into this AA program as if not getting in would be blasphemy, and getting in would ensure success throughout the rest of their academic life! My wife and I are a little laid back (basically, not overly competitive), and want our son to succeed but not lose sleep over getting or not getting into the AA program. FCPS is anyways one of the best in the country so I wanted to find out the "real value" of an AA program in terms of helping him expand his learning and knowledge, and challenging his mental ability.
I think you have the right attitude. We also had/have the same point of view. It might be shocking to some, but we did not even know that FCPS had an AA program until we got the "letter" advising that our child qualified for the AA center school program. Our first child we kept in the regular elementary school program. She did all honors classes in middle school - there was no problem at all in transitioning from the regular elementary track to honors in middle. And honors in HS has been easy as well - so far.

Second child is in the AA center program. In my opinion, the main difference is a marked upgrade in the quality of the classmates. Depending on what ES school boundary you are in it can make a big difference. Fewer discipline problems and much more time spent on classroom instruction. And while I don't think the curriculum is really all that difficult it is fair to say that a lot more is expected from students in the AA program. But my observation is that the current AA program is what should be expected of all students - the regular elementary school program is way too easy.

Suffice to say if you are an involved parent your student should do well in any FCPS school.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:37 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgatedenizen View Post
Suffice to say if you are an involved parent your student should do well in any FCPS school.

We were relatively uninvolved (an old fashioned parenting philosophy these days) and our kids did well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia