Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 05:42 AM

648 posts, read 1,330,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
my favorite cyclist story was at Grand Central Station in NYC... Grand Central, one of the busiest places in the world. We simply opened the door of our cab and a guy speeding by on his bike ran into the door LOL... soooooo funny. Gave me a dirty look and got back on his bike and sped off. I mean, what I've gotta peer out the door to make sure there's no one barreling down on me in their bike before i open the door? OMG that was classic. Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled program...
I would be terrified to ride a bicycle in NYC!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 07:29 AM

9,865 posts, read 14,043,482 times
Quote:
my favorite cyclist story was at Grand Central Station in NYC... Grand Central, one of the busiest places in the world. We simply opened the door of our cab and a guy speeding by on his bike ran into the door LOL... soooooo funny. Gave me a dirty look and got back on his bike and sped off. I mean, what I've gotta peer out the door to make sure there's no one barreling down on me in their bike before i open the door? OMG that was classic. Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled program...

Ha-ha - so funny that someone may have been seriously hurt as they slammed into your door. (sarcasm intended).

Yes, you should look before opening, especially in NYC.

NYC to taxi passengers: Look for bicyclists before opening doors

Old 09-26-2012, 08:03 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,785,577 times
What they need to do is make more bike lanes when they make/repave roads. It would be better for everyone.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:58 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,523,340 times
Quote:
my favorite cyclist story was at Grand Central Station in NYC... Grand Central, one of the busiest places in the world. We simply opened the door of our cab and a guy speeding by on his bike ran into the door LOL... soooooo funny. Gave me a dirty look and got back on his bike and sped off. I mean, what I've gotta peer out the door to make sure there's no one barreling down on me in their bike before i open the door?
yes, actually. Getting "doored" is not at all funny, and you do have an obligation to check.

OTOH many cyclists will attempt to avoid situations where they can be doored - that is ONE reason they will NOT ride to the right in certain circumstances.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
What they need to do is make more bike lanes when they make/repave roads. It would be better for everyone.
That would help a lot, especially on our busier, faster roads, and especially for the large numbers of people like me who are not terribly comfortable riding in the road on busy, fast roads.

But

A. That real estate has to come from somewhere - either less room for drivers, or $$ and disruption to widen the road

B. We are always going to have small, quiet, slow local roads where the above just isnt going to be worth it, and sharing the lane is going to be the only possible solution.

C. bike lanes dont eliminate all cyclist/driver conflicts - there are still going to be issues at intersections - plus bike lanes introduce the issue of drivers respecting the bike lanes, and where they are adjacent to parked cars, the issue of getting "doored"

I think bike lanes are PART of the solution, but ultimately there is no substitute for education and attitude.

Last edited by brooklynborndad; 09-28-2012 at 11:00 AM..

Old 09-28-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
I am in Round HIll and in the exact same boat with you... expecially Sundays good lord i hate bicylists on Sundays. Hundreds of them, hundreds... it's not just one or two, I have no problem with them, it's the MASSIVE amounts of them in a pack. Truly a safety hazzard.
sounds like they may be more safe, since you wont try to pass them. Lots of people like to go on group rides.

I find where I live that drivers come in hundreds. Not just one or two, I would have no problem with that, but massive amounts of them. Truely a safety hazzard.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyusha25 View Post
I would be terrified to ride a bicycle in NYC!

NYC has done great things with bike lanes, cycle tracks, etc. They have a big new bike sharing system that will be opening in a few month IIUC. When I was teen I biked around NYC - mostly on the seperate bike path on Ocean Parkway and connecting trails near the belt parkway, but once I biked in Manhattan - it wasnt that bad.

Based on the posts here, I am terrified of riding in Loudoun off the W&OD. I had been contemplating a long ride, to Purcellville and beyond to the hostel in Round Hill to make a weekend of it, but the Purcellville to Round Hill segment would mean going on roads, and it sounds like cyclists are not so welcome?

Old 10-01-2012, 06:34 AM

648 posts, read 1,330,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
NYC has done great things with bike lanes, cycle tracks, etc. They have a big new bike sharing system that will be opening in a few month IIUC. When I was teen I biked around NYC - mostly on the seperate bike path on Ocean Parkway and connecting trails near the belt parkway, but once I biked in Manhattan - it wasnt that bad.

Based on the posts here, I am terrified of riding in Loudoun off the W&OD. I had been contemplating a long ride, to Purcellville and beyond to the hostel in Round Hill to make a weekend of it, but the Purcellville to Round Hill segment would mean going on roads, and it sounds like cyclists are not so welcome?
The only reason I can think of as to why cyclist "are not welcome" in that part of Loudoun, is because the roads can't really accomodate cyclists and vehicles - they're too small. So yes, people get really irritated when they get stuck behind cyclists on those tiny roads. I get why cyclists like to take them, but it's frustrating that they never pull over to let people pass or more importantly, let people with loaded horse trailers pass on hills.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:13 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,059,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
yes, actually. Getting "doored" is not at all funny, and you do have an obligation to check.

OTOH many cyclists will attempt to avoid situations where they can be doored - that is ONE reason they will NOT ride to the right in certain circumstances.
The area around Grand Central is a huge hub of activity. I doubt very much Arielmina was looking to "door" someone for sport, but if I were biking near Grand Central - which I would not do in any event - I would be very cautious and not expect someone coming out of a cab that stopped moving to anticipate where I planned to ride.

I don't have any problems with sharing the roads with bikers where I drive in NoVa. I've mentioned before that I find parts of downtown a bit more tricky because some biker riders (and they may be a minority) do not obey traffic laws in the area near Farragut Square.

Last edited by JD984; 10-01-2012 at 07:25 AM..

Old 10-01-2012, 07:22 AM

769 posts, read 1,039,968 times
There are tons of bicyclists where I live and generally I don't have an issue with them. There's one mile long, hilly, curvy, tree-lined stretch (with a separate paved path) but the majority of bicyclists stick to the road. The path is never very busy (nothing like MVT) but the serious bikers (by serious I mean the one's with the nice road bikes, Tour de France bike outfits, etc.) can't be bothered to use the path!

And no, I'm not that bothered because I might get stuck behind them for a few extra minutes. I'm more concerned about their safety than they seem to be. In fact I'm surprised that one of them doesn't get run over every weekend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia