U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 09:55 AM

62 posts, read 219,525 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of preparing my house in FFX county for sale and it won't be finished until November. Should I sell in November or wait until spring? In November, there is less competition but fewer buyers or in spring where there is more buyers but more competition? Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 10:10 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,967,801 times
If you price it right, your house should sell in any season.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:03 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,759,561 times
I'd repost this in the real estate section. And talk with a realtor. In general, I'd agree with kutra11. Do you have a reason not to list it asap? Who knows when it would sell? If you get the price you want, great. If not, lower your price or just wait.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:06 AM

301 posts, read 587,689 times
Agree w/ previous 2 posts. I listed my last home in Falls Church in Nov and it closed in Feb (this was in 2006). I had to drop my price twice, but in the end, it all worked out pretty well.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:33 AM

2,185 posts, read 2,656,279 times
It may take a little longer in the winter since most families with kids don't like to move during the school year. But in this area there are enough people buying that the season shouldn't matter too much.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:06 AM

62 posts, read 219,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoi137 View Post
I'd repost this in the real estate section. And talk with a realtor. In general, I'd agree with kutra11. Do you have a reason not to list it asap? Who knows when it would sell? If you get the price you want, great. If not, lower your price or just wait.
I am not in a rush. I just want to sell it fast and at the price I want. I could wait until spring if it the only way. I researched the pros and cons of selling in fall/winter vs. spring/summer and most seem to favor the later, but I don't know it is true about the DC metro area.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:50 AM

10,830 posts, read 26,410,486 times
You can always pull the listing if it does not sell, and then wait a couple of months before the spring selling season, so that the house does not appear to be a stale listing. That said, I might be inclined to list in when ready in this market, as with fewer homes on the market, you may find a buyer who wants your home if it is priced right and ready for sale (which you are in process). Your broker should be preparing a "Coming Soon" campaign around now, while the house is still being readied, so that other brokers who have buyers looking in your area will know that it is coming on the market. A friend of mine sold a house during such a campaign, despite the basement floor in the midst of replacement, though that actually worked out well as the buyer wanted to substitute a different color that was in the same price range as the flooring they had planned to install.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-25-2012, 12:15 PM

2,728 posts, read 7,362,209 times
a little trick that I have seen is once the house has been listed for 60 days, your sneaky seller's agent will change the status to off-market to Active just to reset the number of days on the market. See, potential buyers will ask themselves why has this listed for so many days, but the agents being tricky with status changes just in case the potential buyer is not doing their research.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:38 PM

100 posts, read 188,226 times
We're in the market to buy and have been since spring, but we still haven't found the right house in our neighborhood of choice. I'm sure there are a number of buyers in the same boat--still looking, ready to buy at any time. I agree that you should list the house whenever it's ready; if it's in good condition and properly priced, it should sell. Good luck!

Old 09-25-2012, 02:54 PM

790 posts, read 1,610,387 times
Put it on the market in November -- you'll be fine. People are always looking to move, buy, sell in this area. This is advice from my realtor, who says sell when you need to and don't sweat it. (And I honestly think it will sell, if priced right!) All the best to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia