U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 11:07 AM

1,623 posts, read 4,322,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe55 View Post
If people want to go out of their way to consume something with known risk and effectively zero benefit, have at it I say.
Too bad their children don't get to make those decisions since they are often the ones actually consuming the raw milk.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:11 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,007,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
Too bad their children don't get to make those decisions since they are often the ones actually consuming the raw milk.
That's why we have laws - to protect the innocent. Just as for people who don't want to vaccinate their kids.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:48 PM

206 posts, read 380,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
That's why we have laws - to protect the innocent. Just as for people who don't want to vaccinate their kids.
On a related note, I was in Whole Foods a few months ago, and there was a mother and young (3-4 years?) daughter in line in front of me. She forgot to get something, so she leaves the little girl and the cart in line and runs off to the silly alt-med aisle, and comes back with a box of homeopathic children's cold "medicine".

I wanted to just smack her.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrekyos View Post
On a related note, I was in Whole Foods a few months ago, and there was a mother and young (3-4 years?) daughter in line in front of me. She forgot to get something, so she leaves the little girl and the cart in line and runs off to the silly alt-med aisle, and comes back with a box of homeopathic children's cold "medicine".

I wanted to just smack her.
At the other extreme I've been seeing kids in strollers lately wearing bike helmets.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:55 AM

206 posts, read 380,400 times
Quote:
At the other extreme I've been seeing kids in strollers lately wearing bike helmets.
Well, if you're Peaches Geldof (that woman that crashed her stroller all over the sidewalk while blabbing on her phone) I would say it's a good idea to strap one onto your kid.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrekyos View Post
Well, if you're Peaches Geldof (that woman that crashed her stroller all over the sidewalk while blabbing on her phone) I would say it's a good idea to strap one onto your kid.
Perhaps I'm just not aware of the many head injuries resulting from stroller accidents.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:43 AM

314 posts, read 341,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
The fact that it took me 2 weeks to decide whether raw milk is good for my kids is a lots more time spent than you conveniently go out to the store and buy whatever on the shelves. I bet you can't say the same for your children. Do you drive 2 hours to buy foods for your family ? The decision was made with due consideration.

It all come down to a simple fact: Either you cook your milk/burger to keep them safe or you keep the out by taking great care of the cows!. I choose the latter.

Enjoy your well done e.coli!

Last edited by bmwguydc; 09-29-2012 at 05:25 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate language - attempting to circumvent language filter

Old 09-28-2012, 05:49 AM

Quote:
That's why we have laws - to protect the innocent.
Laws on raw milk to protect the innocent ? Did you even know the history of milk pasteurization ? How and when it came about ? So many ignoramus spouting crap.

Watch and read something like fast food nation before you open your mouth! There's a book too but that's pretty thick books filled with words. There's **** in burger, either you slow down the line and keep it clean or you cook the **** out of it.

I know what you like to eat!

Last edited by finecognac; 09-28-2012 at 06:17 AM..

Old 09-28-2012, 05:59 AM

I just have to say that there are so many ignoramus in this forum about foods in general and milk in particular. They do not know anything about how the milk is collected, transported, processed, blended before it gets to the market. They do not even know what is added to skim milk to give them some taste. They do not know what's % of cream to add in to make whole milk. They do not know the history of milk pasteurization, how it came about. What's the driving force behind it (hint-not for you protection, it's for longer shelf life). How on earth for milk to last 2, 3 months in the shelves un-refrigerated ? . I bet they do not even know the different methods of pasteurization. What breed of cows produce richer milk. And yet none of that stop them from spouting their mouth while seeking false safety and salvation in legislation.

Read some, learn some and come back to rebate ... I always love to talk to people who actually know what they talk about. Until then keep on sucking the pacifier knowing that government will keep you safe from these crazy Amish farmers that the government sent undercover agents to.

Last edited by finecognac; 09-28-2012 at 06:08 AM..

Old 09-28-2012, 06:28 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,593,097 times
Three years ago my cousin purchased raw milk from a local farm in Montana where they lived at the time.
Their family had been consuming it for close to a year with no issues then they received a tainted batch.

It put my cousin, her husband and a neighbor in the hospital for two days.

Are there health benefits? Yes I believe there are.
Is it worth the risk of making yourself extremely sick for that perceived benefit?

In my opinion a resounding NO!

Good luck, I truly believe you are rolling the dice every time you consume raw milk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia