U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 09:04 AM

206 posts, read 380,535 times

Advertisements

Man, the woo is strong with some people in this thread.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:47 AM

169 posts, read 443,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
Three years ago my cousin purchased raw milk from a local farm in Montana where they lived at the time.
Their family had been consuming it for close to a year with no issues then they received a tainted batch.

It put my cousin, her husband and a neighbor in the hospital for two days.

Are there health benefits? Yes I believe there are.
Is it worth the risk of making yourself extremely sick for that perceived benefit?

In my opinion a resounding NO!

Good luck, I truly believe you are rolling the dice every time you consume raw milk.
Contamination can occur in any food not just raw milk. The risk is the same. The milk which we buy from store is what I call white poison. People here just give isolated incidents about raw milk. Did your cousin spend the day drinking raw milk entire day and nothing else to get sick. What are the real facts? Give the entire story, was the milk tested for pathogens?
There are 76 million cases of food-borne illness in the US each year, majority of them do not consume raw milk.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:50 AM

314 posts, read 342,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe55 View Post
Stop spouting facts, raw milk fans hate that. You really didn't think you were going to change anyone's mind did you? Let Darwin do his thing.
roll eyes ? man, it's kind of sad when people skim through a couple of lines then act like they know what they talk about and start rolling eyes. What fact ? that raw milk always contain harmful bacteria ? is that a fact ? I guess from now all, all mothers should pasteurize before feeding their new born babies. Or better yet, just buy into the ad campaigns of Nestle and buy their baby powder for the kids.

You want some fact ? Fact is harmful bacteria get into the milk if the cow is not healthy or if the milking process is not sanitary. Fact is cows raise in feed lots are sick and the milking machine that processes thousand of cows a day increase the chance of contamination. Fact is when that milk is mixed with thousand of gallons from other cows raised and milked in the same condition from other feedlots, contamination is inevitable. Fact is industrial processed milk is filthy and have to be pasteurized. Fact is industrial burgers are produced the same way and thus you can not eat any industrial burger cooked under temperature to kill e.coli. Fact is food recall happens almost every day because of industrial food system. Fact is industrial food is cheap and people love cheap foods. Fact is e coli are from the guts of the cows (sh|t). Fact is if you have to cook the beef to certain degree to kill e coli then you are accepting the fact that you are eating cow turds. Fact is meat irradiation is on the way because there is no way to keep the sh|t out of the meat due to the speed of processing and how the CAFO operate.

And the hardest fact of all, nobody wants to be called out that they are willing to eat filthy food to save a couple of bucks.

Are you rolling your eyes some more or give me some facts ?

Last edited by finecognac; 09-28-2012 at 11:02 AM..

Old 09-28-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finecognac View Post
roll eyes ? man, it's kind of sad when people skim through a couple of lines then act like they know what they talk about and start rolling eyes. What fact ? that raw milk always contain harmful bacteria ? is that a fact ? I guess from now all, all mothers should pasteurize before feeding their new born babies. Or better yet, just buy into the ad campaigns of Nestle and buy their baby powder for the kids.
Seriously? You're comparing an adult woman to a farm animal? Ladies aren't host to Campylobacter, cows are (regardless of how "cleanly" you think they are kept).

Old 09-28-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrekyos View Post
Seriously? You're comparing an adult woman to a farm animal? Ladies aren't host to Campylobacter, cows are (regardless of how "cleanly" you think they are kept).
Again, you miss the point! the point is not about a particular type of bacteria, the point is adult woman do harbour bacteria and diseases. In fact, one of the reason milk pasteurization came about in the first place was TB from the sick milking migrant workers.

The whole thing is about missing the point. The fact is that people who tries to educate themselves about how to better protect and feed their families are being ridiculed by people who have no clues about foods and where they come from. I can bet you people who ask about raw milk care more and know more about foods than the one who roll eyes at them. Right or wrong, that decision was made with deliberation and due diligence fully knowing the risks. That to me is way better than the ignoramus who grab the first thing on the shelves and the only thing they look at is the price.

Ignorant is truly bliss.

BTW what's with the overuse of emoticons ?

Last edited by finecognac; 09-28-2012 at 02:31 PM..

Old 09-28-2012, 03:27 PM

5,738 posts, read 8,940,261 times
Quote:
Seriously? You're comparing an adult woman to a farm animal? .
There are several on my street for whom this comparison is perfectly accurate.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:30 PM

11,360 posts, read 20,154,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlingtonian View Post
there are several on my street for whom this comparison is perfectly accurate.
lol

Old 09-28-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finecognac View Post
Again, you miss the point! the point is not about a particular type of bacteria, the point is adult woman do harbour bacteria and diseases. In fact, one of the reason milk pasteurization came about in the first place was TB from the sick milking migrant workers.

The whole thing is about missing the point. The fact is that people who tries to educate themselves about how to better protect and feed their families are being ridiculed by people who have no clues about foods and where they come from. I can bet you people who ask about raw milk care more and know more about foods than the one who roll eyes at them. Right or wrong, that decision was made with deliberation and due diligence fully knowing the risks. That to me is way better than the ignoramus who grab the first thing on the shelves and the only thing they look at is the price.

Ignorant is truly bliss.

BTW what's with the overuse of emoticons ?
You seriously have no idea what you're talking about. The TB spread in raw milk is from cows, not the people milking them. You are not "educated" at all. You just prefer to listen to the woo-woo spread by alt-med quacks instead of medical doctors and food scientists who know what they are talking about. People who don't buy into this "raw milk" crap do so because we know there is a good reason we pasteurize milk in the developed world - so we don't get sick and/or die.

...and WHAT are you talking about with emoticons? You used one, I used one. Can you not count or something?

Old 09-28-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
You seriously have no idea what you're talking about. The TB spread in raw milk is from cows, not the people milking them. You are not "educated" at all. You just prefer to listen to the woo-woo spread by alt-med quacks instead of medical doctors and food scientists who know what they are talking about. People who don't buy into this "raw milk" crap do so because we know there is a good reason we pasteurize milk in the developed world - so we don't get sick and/or die.

...and WHAT are you talking about with emoticons? You used one, I used one. Can you not count or something?
And you do ? Whiskey still, cattle feeds, migrant workers. Feeding whiskey still to cattle causing sick cows and sick migrant workers in filthy working condition all contributed. News flash: people get sick and die almost every day from food poisoning. Post pasteurization contamination happens. Food scientists ? So how far food scientist get you ? What happens since the government came out with the food pyramid by food scientists? Obesity is increasing and heart disease is the number one killer in the US. I guess you are one of those who prefers the government to tell you what to eat, whom to have sex with and even what kind of sex act you can do. Make you feel safer since the government is taking care of you eh.

Let me make it simple so people like you can understand: There are only 2 reasons people get sick from drinking raw milk: sick cows and unsanitized milking process. There are 2 ways to make it safe :

1. raise healthy cows and slow down milking process so it can be sanitized
2. accept the milk is filthy and cook it dead so it can be produced cheaply.

I know what I choose and I know what you choose. End result:

1. I am alive and healthy drinking great tasting raw milk which means my milk is healthful and the milking process is great.
2. You are alive and healthy and drinking pasteurized milk from feed lot which means the sh|t in your milk has been well cooked.

You enjoy your cooked turd. I enjoy my clean milk. To each their own.

End of story!

Last edited by finecognac; 09-28-2012 at 08:19 PM..

Old 09-29-2012, 04:58 PM

1,403 posts, read 1,847,932 times
Just drink kefir and call it a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia