Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 07:05 AM

5 posts, read 15,339 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm applying for a position in Culpeper and am wondering if any one has any suggestions for a place to live that would be within about a 1 hour commute. We would be moving from Columbus, OH and very much like the large college town feel here, though both my wife and I are from bigger cities and like that as well.

We have an 11 year old daughter, so good public schools are among the most important concerns. Her current school is one of the “alternative” schools in the public system and follows an informal curriculum with lots of hands-on exploration and learning.

With luck, we’d make enough on our house to afford something around $250-350K. We’d like at least 2 bedrooms, 1-2 bathrooms, a yard, a good/interesting neighborhood. I’m a fan of older homes, while my wife likes the hassle-free aspects of new homes. I think we’d both prefer to live closer to town/city than out in the country, in part due to the chances of increased opportunities for her. She is an artist and has spent a number of years teaching art to adults with mental retardation/developmental disabilities. We currently live very close to the Ohio State campus. While we enjoy the ability to walk to things the university has to offer, I’d prefer to not be living next to the drunken students so much anymore.

I’ve been looking at info on Charlottesville, which seems to offer many of the things we find important: diversity of population, cultural activities, walkable, access to schools, etc. Is there something similar in the North?

While I’m not thrilled about a commute of one hour, I’m willing to do so if it isn’t a bad drive.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 10:52 AM

24 posts, read 91,673 times
You should try Lee's parke in Fredericksburg. It would be about a 30 minute commute depending on were you are at in Culpeper. It is a newer community with lot's of amenities like pools, tennis, walking trails, exercise gym, trash service etc.. They are planning to build a library within the community and both the middle and elementary are newer, only a couple years old. I live here and I love it, you can get anything you need in 10 minutes since everything is right outside the community, you can even walk to some places. You also can avoid all the traffic by going the back way to culpeper through Levell's road up to rte. 3 so you would hit no traffic coming home or leaving. Good luck!

Old 10-08-2007, 11:20 PM

555 posts, read 2,701,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cle63 View Post
Hi. I'm applying for a position in Culpeper and am wondering if any one has any suggestions for a place to live that would be within about a 1 hour commute. We would be moving from Columbus, OH and very much like the large college town feel here, though both my wife and I are from bigger cities and like that as well.

We have an 11 year old daughter, so good public schools are among the most important concerns. Her current school is one of the “alternative” schools in the public system and follows an informal curriculum with lots of hands-on exploration and learning.

With luck, we’d make enough on our house to afford something around $250-350K. We’d like at least 2 bedrooms, 1-2 bathrooms, a yard, a good/interesting neighborhood. I’m a fan of older homes, while my wife likes the hassle-free aspects of new homes. I think we’d both prefer to live closer to town/city than out in the country, in part due to the chances of increased opportunities for her. She is an artist and has spent a number of years teaching art to adults with mental retardation/developmental disabilities. We currently live very close to the Ohio State campus. While we enjoy the ability to walk to things the university has to offer, I’d prefer to not be living next to the drunken students so much anymore.

I’ve been looking at info on Charlottesville, which seems to offer many of the things we find important: diversity of population, cultural activities, walkable, access to schools, etc. Is there something similar in the North?

While I’m not thrilled about a commute of one hour, I’m willing to do so if it isn’t a bad drive.

Thanks.
I live in Culpeper and moved here last year from Fredericksburg. I would go with Charlottesville hands down. The Fredericksburg/Rt.3 area has WAY to much traffic and the county and city didn't plan it right so the roads are a mess. Charlottesville is about 40-45 minutes away from Culpeper and you rarely have traffic. If you want to go North you could go with Warrenton, but Charlottesville has a HUGE walk area with shops, art studios, nice bars etc. For $275,000 you could get a real nice home. Try realtor.com. I forgot the neighborhood's name but there is a gated community with a lake that my wife and i want to eventually end up in, the name escapes me though.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:32 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
There is a neighborhood like you just described called Wilderness Shores on Highway 3 about halfway between Culpeper and Fredericksburg. Is there some reason you don't want Culpeper. It has some really pretty restored homes in the downtown area. It also has some new homes. The town of Orange is another possibility. The traffic between Charlottesville and Culpeper can get really bad. Madison is another possibility but then again you would have the traffic, but not as far. We got into a parking lot on Hwy. 29 for about two hours on Friday at about 5 P. M. when visiting relatives in this area. I love this area. It is very family friendly and all the children have good teeth! Ha! Ha!

Could the above poster be talking about Lake of the Woods or Lake Anna. Lake of the Woods is in the Wilderness area on Hwy. 3 also. I'm not sure, but I think Lake Anna is further away.

There is a rest home in the area where the residents might want art lessons. Another possibility might be the Presidential Resort for an art program for the summer residents.

Last edited by NCN; 10-08-2007 at 11:58 PM..

Old 10-09-2007, 06:53 AM

Default Charlottesville vs Fredericksburg (commute/schools/life)

Thank you for your input. I think I'm steering away from Culpeper because we are more interested in being in a bigger community. I'm also a little uncertain about moving to a boom town area as I would rather avoid the growing pains that comes with that.

I've been looking (through the computer screen) at both Charlottesville and Fredericksburg as the closest big towns and get conflicting information. Some say the commute from Charlottesville to Culpeper is no problem when it comes to traffic, others say it's really bad. While Fredericksburg seems to be in a bit of a boom, I like what I can see of some of the old neighborhoods. I've also read good things about Spots, though it's maybe just a bit farther out of town than I might want.

So I guess my concerns now are:

-Charlottesville or Fredericksburg?
-How bad really is the commute to Culpeper for both?
-Any idea how the schools stack up?

Thanks again.
T

Old 10-11-2007, 10:57 PM

555 posts, read 2,701,012 times
Go with Charlottesville. I've lived in Fredericksburg and Culpeper and I can tell you from personal experience Charlottesville has both beat. Fredericksburg is WAY too crowded and the traffic is HORRIBLE. Try Lake Monticello in Charlottesville. It's a private community with good priced homes.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:10 AM

2 posts, read 8,737 times
Thumbs up worth a look

I have early 1900s 2 story home uniquely situated in Culpeper. It is facing the town park yet has nice sized front and back yards,wrap around front porch and a very nice remodel to include New Electric, gas heat, Central A/C,Windows,Doors and flooring.Patio in process.Walking and various activities in the park.Very Picturesque from the Porch.Walk to practically anywhere in town yet Quiet location.If interested E-Mail cpayne4288@aol.com

Old 11-05-2007, 10:19 AM

257 posts, read 1,131,013 times
My aunt is a real estate agent in Fredericksburg. Its an extremely nice area and the houses for the price are awesome. Specially at such a downtime in market. If you went to King George county it would be about your limit of commute but it is a very nice rural county with still alot to do. Id stick with spotslyvania county. I love it down there and most of my family has relocated there because of the good schools, shopping, downtown, the beautiful college, the river activities, central park, just everything you name it. Its a very nice and very growing place. I believe along with my aunt that in a few years when the market picks up. it will for sure be a gold mine.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:31 PM

743 posts, read 3,899,713 times
Fredericksburg would be a much easier commute... They're widening the rest of Rt. 3 to a 4 lane divided highway, and traffic isn't that bad at all. The schools are good, and right now the housing market is bottoming out, so you can get more for your money now, than you ever could before. (Prices are down to what they were maybe 10 years ago)

Old 11-06-2007, 11:32 AM

Thanks for the insight. When you mention Fredericksburg, do you mean Fredericksburg city proper or the surrounding areas? I've read that many people use these terms interchangeably.
thanks,
T
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia