Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 05:46 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times

Advertisements

SFH in N. Arl, on cul-de-sac, listed at $240K; catch is that I-66 is in the backyard.

Here's a charming Cape with water damage in Falls Church, on a ginormous lot.

And here's a small, relatively unappealing frame house in S. Arlington, but you still would make money on this over the years.

I would pay for location and square footage of land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 05:52 PM

141 posts, read 278,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
SFH in N. Arl, on cul-de-sac, listed at $240K; catch is that I-66 is in the backyard.

Here's a charming Cape with water damage in Falls Church, on a ginormous lot.

And here's a small, relatively unappealing frame house in S. Arlington, but you still would make money on this over the years.

I would rather just stay in my overpriced apartment instead of living at some house grandma wouldn't even live in. Charming! Cozy! ...

Last edited by FindingZen; 09-29-2012 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: profanity, even when self-edited, is still profanity

Old 09-29-2012, 06:00 PM

9,874 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:

Well, that is exactly what you would be doing for those three properties. The houses are essentially unlivable. So, you aren't really buying a SFH for 300K, you're buying property with a lot of work attached.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Well, that is exactly what you would be doing for those three properties. The houses are essentially unlivable. So, you aren't really buying a SFH for 300K, you're buying property with a lot of work attached.
I just skimmed the listings, but unless I missed something, only the one with water damage looks to be unlivable. (A highway behind your backyard isn't most people's cup of tea, but it doesn't make the place unfit for habitation.)

That said, it's true that each of those has some drawback that explains the relatively low price for the location. And that's no surprise--because if there were no such issues, then each property would be priced a lot higher.

If I had 300K burning a hole in my pocket and wanted to invest it in real estate in the next week, all of those would be on my short list.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
I just skimmed the listings, but unless I missed something, only the one with water damage looks to be unlivable. (A highway behind your backyard isn't most people's cup of tea, but it doesn't make the place unfit for habitation.)

That said, it's true that each of those has some drawback that explains the relatively low price for the location. And that's no surprise--because if there were no such issues, then each property would be priced a lot higher.

If I had 300K burning a hole in my pocket and wanted to invest it in real estate in the next week, all of those would be on my short list.
House #1 - Literally no description of the home. While being directly on 66 is a detriment, it normally only reduces prices about 10% from others in the neighborhood. Something is seriously wrong with this house. Oh, and it's been "under contract" since May 1. So, it also may be a short sale that won't ever go through at that price.

House #2 - Major water damage and "lots of work"

House #3 - the word "unlivable" actually appears on the "marketing" blurb.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:38 PM

OK, but he was asking about investment potential--not whether he could live in it in its current state. I think the bang for the buck is in the land.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:40 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
House #1 - Literally no description of the home. While being directly on 66 is a detriment, it normally only reduces prices about 10% from others in the neighborhood. Something is seriously wrong with this house. Oh, and it's been "under contract" since May 1. So, it also may be a short sale that won't ever go through at that price.
There are two other houses on that cul-de-sac for sale, one for $640K and one for $675K. Plus one MLS site had it listed as "LAND". So yeah, sounds like a teardown. And some sucker bought it for $630K back in 2006.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
OK, but he was asking about investment potential--not whether he could live in it in its current state. I think the bang for the buck is in the land.
I agree, but he only has $300K. So if he bought these property, he has no money to renovate, fix-up, or even demo. Personally, I find it doubtful that he'll make a lot of money sitting on a blighted property. Even if the land is valuable....

Old 09-29-2012, 08:28 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
You can invest in real estate without buying bottom dollar properties. Join a syndicate.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:19 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,325,339 times
I'd pay off my mortgage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia