U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 01:16 PM

5,071 posts, read 8,621,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvieontheAbbey View Post
Hmmm...have you ever lived in Prince George's County? I've lived there and in Fairfax County and personally, I think one a hidden gem in the DC-Metro area (in terms of public libraries, the cost of housing and land, less traffic, and let's not forget new development projects such as the National Harbour) while the other is quite frankly overrated. People who know, know.
It's interesting how much more expensive the new townhouses in the Mosaic District in Falls Church are than similar townhouses in the Arts District in Hyattsville. Does that mean the former is overrated, or instead that there really aren't "hidden gems" out there in this well-discussed region?

I will say that I won't lose any sleep if the FBI picks PG over Springfield/Franconia, but I wonder what the FBI agents and employees would prefer. I had a relative who worked in Suitland, and he was just miserable there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 01:25 PM

1,403 posts, read 1,848,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I will say that I won't lose any sleep if the FBI picks PG over Springfield/Franconia, but I wonder what the FBI agents and employees would prefer. I had a relative who worked in Suitland, and he was just miserable there.
I know a few who'd prefer it move to Prince William County. They also like being outside the blast radius too.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:22 AM

486 posts, read 736,176 times
I'm from Montgomery County and to be honest with you I love the DC area.....its doesn't matter to me if I grew up in Nova or Moco.....I just Love this area.......Thats what we should worry about..............The D.C. area are Blessed with what other states aren't fortunate to have.......so I feel honor to be a native of this area.......So I don't care who is beating who........I love Moco and Nova......We are the BEST.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:57 AM

146 posts, read 329,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaryland455 View Post
i'm from montgomery county and to be honest with you i love the dc area.....its doesn't matter to me if i grew up in nova or moco.....i just love this area.......thats what we should worry about..............the d.c. Area are blessed with what other states aren't fortunate to have.......so i feel honor to be a native of this area.......so i don't care who is beating who........i love moco and nova......we are the best.

thank you!!!! I dont get the constant need for some people to feel like they're better then others even though they are basically equals.

Last edited by diplomat74; 12-09-2012 at 09:08 AM..

Old 12-09-2012, 08:45 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,276,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roninsedge View Post
2 things, how does a board encourage illegal actions and what is wrong with people from Latin America? You do realize that Hispanic Americans are on track to become the majority in this country?
Montgomery (and PG ) Democrats were instrumental in introducing and voting for the illegal alien Dream Act that now ALL of Maryland, including those us elsewhere like my friends and neighbors here in Baltimore County have to pay for!! Montgomery County uses tax dollars to build labor centers for illegal aliens. There is one such place in Shady Grove just off Crabbs Branch Way. With such policies I would say that the county governent not just tolerates, but rewards illegal immigration. County police are not allowed to check the immigration status of people they arrest. Montgomery County does not want to participate in Secure Communities and does not have English as the official language.

It is also very liberal in Moco with the plastic bag taxes, the ban on trans fats and how county buidings can't have Christmas trees cause that might offend Muslims, athiests and Jews. I don't know if Northern Virginia is the same in this, but Montgomery County is very strict in promoting high-density growth which is terrible and reduces the quality of life in suburban areas by adding more traffic and density to existing areas.

Virginia is on the right track with maintaining a ban on gay marriage, cracking down on illegal immigration, keeping the death penalty, and MOST IMPORTANTLY being a business-friendly, right-to-work state. This last one, plus lower taxes, is crucial in attracting investments and wealthier residents. Maryland just passed ANOTHER income tax hike this year along with recent toll increases, alcohol tax increase, cigarette tax increase and an increase in the flush tax on water bills.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diplomat74 View Post
thank you!!!! I dont get the constant need for some people to feel like they're better then others even though they are basically equals.[Emphasis mine.]
What is the difference between "equals" and "basically equals"?

Aren't some regions more equal than others? Just by a little bit, maybe?

Old 12-10-2012, 05:47 AM

2,380 posts, read 3,863,044 times
Curious how banning gay marriage and keeping the death penalty makes a state more attractive to business.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
Curious how banning gay marriage and keeping the death penalty makes a state more attractive to business.
It likely doesn't. But not everything is or should be about material things.

Perhaps it is possible that preserving traditional marriage and death penalty are markers for stable marriages/families and propensity for "tough on crime," both of which may be attractive for businesses. But the connection, if it existed, is probably tenuous.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:35 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,276,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
That is separate from business, but from a social perspective both make more sense, gay marriage in terms of moral and family values. And the death penalty......well it is about justice for the victims and their families/friends isn't it? And it does deter crime to a certain extent. Virginia overall has far less crime than Maryland (or New Jersey). I'm glad they tried John Allen Muhammad in Virginia if he was tried in Maryland there's no way he would have gotten the death penalty, and even if he had, he would still be alive now due to the moratorium set forth by our liberal governor O'Malley. There are criminals on death row here from murders they committed in 1983 (including a cold blooded execution style double killing in an armed robbery) and the families are still waiting for justice.

So yes the death penalty is another way Virginia is better. Even though I know Fairfax and NOVA ARE more liberal, and more similar to Montgomery County than to places elsewhere in the state.

And with business friendliness I think that is why Northrum Grumman chose VA over MD when they relocated from California. I think the taxes and policies in California also contributed to their decision to leave there!

Old 12-11-2012, 08:38 AM

8,775 posts, read 10,681,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
It's interesting how much more expensive the new townhouses in the Mosaic District in Falls Church are than similar townhouses in the Arts District in Hyattsville. Does that mean the former is overrated, or instead that there really aren't "hidden gems" out there in this well-discussed region?

I'm not saying its the only factor (Im not interested in a discussion of PG schools) but Mosaic at 1/2 miles is barely outside the "walkshed" for Dunn Loring metro, while Hyattsville arts district is somewhat further from the nearest metro stations, AFAICT. That said, I am eager to do a recon trip to Hyattsville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or