U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 05:36 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,018,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
But for the love of all that is good and tasty, it should stop selling that monstrosity of "wine" called Two-Buck Chuck. Even one of my little kids told me, "Yuck, daddy, that's awful!"
Except here it's "Three Buck Chuck".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 08:30 AM

2,676 posts, read 6,239,535 times
Next time a stranger talks to you, just look at them shocked and whisper quietly, "You can see me?"

Old 10-05-2012, 08:51 AM

4,711 posts, read 10,863,041 times
What tickles me is those credit card terminals that ask "is $94.56 OK? Yes or No?

I always wanna say NO! I'd like to pay like 20 bucks...is that alright?

Old 10-05-2012, 03:16 PM

I'm always amused when asked if I need help out to the car even though I'm often in better physical shape than the person offering.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:26 PM

371 posts, read 730,628 times
I don't even get to see the teller at the credit union I go to. Instead there is a tv monitor, a phone, and a chute (like the ones when you do drive through). You can see the teller on TV and talk to them on the phone, but there is no friendly interaction.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:31 PM

5,738 posts, read 8,940,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
But for the love of all that is good and tasty, it should stop selling that monstrosity of "wine" called Two-Buck Chuck. Even one of my little kids told me, "Yuck, daddy, that's awful!"
Bite your tongue, sir. It's a quality beverage, I can attest. It's that year's leftovers from Napa; how could it be bad?

(Seriously--I'm guessing your kid's reaction was more to the fairly acidic taste of wine generally than to Chuck specifically.)

I've become somewhat of a self-regarded (ahem) expert on cheap cabernets. Chuck is noticeably tastier and "meatier" than Three Wishes (Whole Foods), Sea Ridge (Safeway) or whatever the Harris-Teeter variant is called (Oak Leaf/Oak Crest--something like that). I even like it better than Barefoot or Lindemann's.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 10-06-2012 at 06:42 PM..

Old 10-08-2012, 03:35 PM

15,764 posts, read 9,502,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Home Seller View Post
Would this fake friendly work in a regular town outside the Dc area rat race? Is the negative reactions she got to her friendly chit chat based on the culture of the area or something else?
I stopped reading the thread at the bottom of page one and the following post from Tone. I could have written the first paragraph myself. As for the second - I'm in Pittsburgh (PNC HQ) and, although I usually hate fake-friendly sales people, for some reason, I love my little bank tellers as long as they stick to chit-chat. Unfortunately, they usually slip into sales mode and ruin the mood. Of course, I never go to a teller when I'm in a hurry so that makes a difference. Here in Pittsburgh I see people respond positively to the friendliness even when they know it's just business.

What's ironic is that most banks, including PNC, have entire campaigns geared toward moving people away from using tellers. It's more expensive for them. I guess they figure they've hit their limit in terms of migration and now are finding a new approach for their customers who just won't budge from using tellers (hence the usual up sell after the shmooze).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
When my bank PNC started its more rapid expansion here a few years ago, I noticed a sudden shift into "extreme" niceness. I thought it was humorous since, as a former bank employee many moons ago, I knew there was a method to their madness. I never found anything to be too intrusive; I just play along as they do their newly socially-enhanced jobs.

It may depend on one's perspective, of course. This sort of overt friendliness may be foreign to, say, Northeasterners (like myself) though not so much Midwestern and Southern transplants.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:17 PM

I think many people in this area are very class conscious and tend to look down on people in hourly jobs. In other less exalted places a bank teller isn't much different than the other locals and is more likely even a friend or family member of one.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:50 PM

1,403 posts, read 1,847,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Except here it's "Three Buck Chuck".
It's actually not "Two Buck Chuck" outside selected locations in CA, I think. But the name stuck. It will always be Two Buck Chuck even 50 years from now when it'll be $20.
Quote:
I'm always amused when asked if I need help out to the car even though I'm often in better physical shape than the person offering.
It's not a fitness contest. It's their job to help you shop and, should you desire it, carry groceries to the car. How would they know unless they asked? Are they supposed to do a quick visual fitness assessment? Maybe you hurt your elbow playing tennis or tweaked your ankle doing Judo. The point is for the store folks to ask you if you need help, not for you to have to make the effort (break a psychological barrier) to seek help actively. That's good customer service in my book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Bite your tongue, sir. It's a quality beverage, I can attest. It's that year's leftovers from Napa; how could it be bad?

(Seriously--I'm guessing your kid's reaction was more to the fairly acidic taste of wine generally than to Chuck specifically.)
It's freakin' awful. My kids know it for sure, even the littlest one. You see, we are a bit "Mediterranean" in our wine-drinking in my family. Kids get diluted stuff early on (and our friends wonder why our kids are so happy and go to sleep well). They like good clarets just fine rather like their patrician mother does. Their cheapskate immigrant father is usually content with a good quality Australian Shiraz on a day-to-day basis (then again I grew up with 25% apple juice cocktail and my family did not have a cellar). I will, however, pull out a bottle of Rothschild if I am in a major dog house with the Mrs.

There was considerable opprobrium when I brought home a bottle of Two Buck Chuck "just to see what all the fusses were about."
Quote:
I think many people in this area are very class conscious and tend to look down on people in hourly jobs.
I've got a few friends who have hourly jobs. I don't think anybody look down on them. Of course, they do make $1,000+ per hour.

In all seriousness, this is one of the least class conscious areas I've lived in the U.S. And I lived in quite a few states (at least eight if memory serves me correctly at the moment, possibly a couple more). I think this is a very low Gini coefficient area. Mass affluence here... with the emphasis on mass.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:00 AM

6,555 posts, read 10,844,263 times
WHile I understand some of the complaints here I also wonder how many of you are being rude to someone who is just genuinely nice? When I am at a business where the employee is trying to be chatty and friendly I'll either be chatty or friendly back or I'll give a response that makes it clear I'm not in the mood for the chit chat. I'm not rude to them but I also don't respond back in the syrupy sweet fashion. Some people in this world are just friendly to everyone and could make friends with the devil himself. The complaining on here can be unbelievable at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or