Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 07:14 PM

429 posts, read 1,162,450 times

Advertisements

$1,300 for a $400k policy is just crazy. I think you need a new insurance company.

You might also want to reconsider the $500 deductible. My policy is for $822K and I only paid $815 last year, but I have a 2% ($16,440) deductible. For me, the lower payment is worth it since I have no intention of making any claims on my insurance unless there is major damage to my house. Also, I am confident that I can cover the deductible if necessary. In any case, you might ask what the payment would be for a $2K or $5K (or larger) deductible if you are comfortable with the concept.
(FWIW, I'm in Maryland, but if anything, insurance rates are probably higher here than in Virginia. I think that is generally the case with car insurance.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 07:22 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,129,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
You can usually get a multi-line if you have a vehicle with them as well. I have State Farm and 2012 rate was lower than 2011. I don't remember if 2013 went up or down. You've piqued my curiosity so I'll have to look it up when I get home.
My rate fluctuates too, but I found that 2011 was higher than 2010. 2012, was lower than 2011. 2013 is lower than 2012.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:50 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citygal4 View Post
Thanks all of you.

The $1k deductible, shopping around is a good idea.

Any suggestions for what policy discounts we can get beyond:
deadbolts,
fire alarm
sprinklers

Not sure we want a security system but may consider.

We asked about alumni discounts, don't exist.
How about owning a gun or a big dog?

Old 10-06-2012, 07:02 AM

373 posts, read 870,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
How about owning a gun or a big dog?
Those, especially the dog, would probably help you from getting stuff stolen. However, in NOVA, the percentage of your home owners insurance going towards theft is probably pretty low. It would probably drive up your rate by having you have a greater chance of hurting someone unintentionally on your property.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:09 AM

4 posts, read 4,966 times
Again, thank you all for your comments.

So I shopped around and got a quote from Liberty Mutual for $50 higher than my $1300 rate for the next year!!!.

Our credit rating is excellent and we have all the things that would help a discount - sprinkler system, fire stn, deadbolts, fire alarm etc.

I have allergies so dog is out unfortunately. Umm, guns are out too.

As I mentioned in an earlier post in all these yrs, we just had one single claim during the storms for like a few hundred bucks.

I checked with Amica to see if it's better if I get a car insurance from them but their rate was higher than my current car insurance.

I am at my wit's end now since I don't have any other options.

Except raising the deductible.

But what beats me is why is it so high! One claim shouldn't raise it by $300 in one year.

Thanks again for all your comments.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:44 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
Insurance companies really, really don't like minor claims. You may have only had one, but they know now that you will file them.

Insurance companies are somewhat unique in that share information with their competitors about problem policyholders. I know for a fact that there is an industry database...a **** list, if you will....this could be the reason for the high Liberty Mutual quote you got.

That said, Amica is a very good company and you get what you pay for. There are insurance companies that you have to sue to force them honor the terms of their policies. Keep that in mind if you get a low quote

Old 10-06-2012, 06:17 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,724,246 times
Amica got good ratings on claim service from Consumers' Checkbook, but I think it was (along with Erie and Chubb) one of the pricier ones.

We have Travelers. Had to file a smallish ($7000) claim after the derecho. Overall good claim service, and so far (fingers crossed) our rates haven't been raised.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:10 AM

774 posts, read 1,049,236 times
Here's the policy discounts I have:

USAA Membership Savings ($362.85):
multiple products
military service
membership loyalty
good payment history

USAA Property Discounts ($877.12):
auto and home combination discount
home age discount
claims free discount
protective device credit

Old 10-07-2012, 09:34 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,788,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Amica got good ratings on claim service from Consumers' Checkbook, but I think it was (along with Erie and Chubb) one of the pricier ones.

We have Travelers. Had to file a smallish ($7000) claim after the derecho. Overall good claim service, and so far (fingers crossed) our rates haven't been raised.
Some guy once hit me who had Amica car insurance. They were very easy and pleasant to deal with.

CityGal, I'm wondering where you live. Part of the cost of homeowners insurance depends on your zipcode. Do you live in a high-crime area?

Old 10-12-2012, 01:09 PM

66 posts, read 169,795 times
Lurking on this forum...since I am hoping my husband can get transferred back to MD or NOVA. Not that you asked but in South FL, we are paying $4000 per year with a 2percent deductible per named storm! I would be so happy to get back to the midatlantic where costs are more predictable and reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia