Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 09:55 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by govmoneynvegas View Post
Why does every good Italian place have to have white table clothes and be so fancy? I'm just looking for a low key joint that makes their own pasta. I know a place up in Baltimore that is the best I've ever had, but I can't seem to find anything around here. And I know I can get stuff from The Italian Store in Arlington, but I don't want to do that. Any recommendations?

Big Night (1996) - Risotto and Spaghetti?! - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 02:57 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,150,902 times
Fantastic, fantastic movie... though there is considerable food snobbiness/elitism throughout the film.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
Fantastic, fantastic movie... though there is considerable food snobbiness/elitism throughout the film.
If I were updating the scene to today I'd show the Americans dipping their bread in olive oil.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
If I were updating the scene to today I'd show the Americans dipping their bread in olive oil.
Nothing wrong with that. Nothing at all. There is no right way to eat bread. Eat however you like. All that matters is that you find it tasty. The rest is just posturing.

As much as I loved the movie (I very much identify with the purist, melancholic Primo), there is nothing wrong with having pasta with risotto... if you like it that way.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:56 AM

I'm still waiting for a place that makes that perfect, house-made Spaghetti aglio, olio e peperoncino. If someone would please recommend a place that makes that here, I would be much obliged.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:42 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,456,102 times
OP i'd think you are secretly my husband, except for the fact that he does not know anything about this site He is half Italian and there is nothing he despises more than "nothern Italian" food on white table cloths, when all he wants is down home Italian cooking - spaghetti and meatballs kind of stuff.

Coming from metro NY, I know EXACTLY what you mean and what you are looking for. We went back "home" to Stamford, CT two weeks ago and went to our favorite Italian "dive" (John the Baker | ABOUT) and had the best Italian meal we have had since we moved to Virginia three years ago. I have been searching and have YET to find anything like it down here. When friends come to visit and they ask if we have any good Italian restaurants, we sadly say "no"... but thankfully I can cook a mean bolognese so when we want Italian, we eat in.

Just missing entirely from the NOVA experience I guess.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
Nothing wrong with that. Nothing at all. There is no right way to eat bread. Eat however you like. All that matters is that you find it tasty. The rest is just posturing.

As much as I loved the movie (I very much identify with the purist, melancholic Primo), there is nothing wrong with having pasta with risotto... if you like it that way.

You want to look like a culinary bama, be my guest.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:05 PM

141 posts, read 278,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
OP i'd think you are secretly my husband, except for the fact that he does not know anything about this site He is half Italian and there is nothing he despises more than "nothern Italian" food on white table cloths, when all he wants is down home Italian cooking - spaghetti and meatballs kind of stuff.

Coming from metro NY, I know EXACTLY what you mean and what you are looking for. We went back "home" to Stamford, CT two weeks ago and went to our favorite Italian "dive" (John the Baker | ABOUT) and had the best Italian meal we have had since we moved to Virginia three years ago. I have been searching and have YET to find anything like it down here. When friends come to visit and they ask if we have any good Italian restaurants, we sadly say "no"... but thankfully I can cook a mean bolognese so when we want Italian, we eat in.

Just missing entirely from the NOVA experience I guess.
Finally, someone gets me! Thanks for not labeling me as an elitist just because I want some decent food that's not covered in sparkles or sprinkles.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by govmoneynvegas View Post
Finally, someone gets me! Thanks for not labeling me as an elitist just because I want some decent food that's not covered in sparkles or sprinkles.
One doesn't generally associate spaghetti and meatballs with elitism.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:31 PM

141 posts, read 278,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
One doesn't generally associate spaghetti and meatballs with elitism.
Go do some research then, and find the best one for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia