U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 05:31 PM

421 posts, read 818,969 times

Advertisements

I sincerely hope you aren't serious about catching them and doing something with them. Do the right thing and talk to the owners. If worse comes to worse and you don't know who they are, tag a note to their collars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 05:31 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,958,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Is there anything I can do about it? I caught one this morning pooping on my deck and digging up my flowers to bury it. Their favorite spot as of late is my front porch, under the window, driving my poor dog insane. My yard has become their personal litterbox--it's gross There are at least 3 cats on my little block that roam the neighborhood.
Set your boa constrictor loose. Problem solved, no?

Old 10-09-2012, 05:37 PM

4,489 posts, read 9,555,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed&Confused View Post
I sincerely hope you aren't serious about catching them and doing something with them. Do the right thing and talk to the owners. If worse comes to worse and you don't know who they are, tag a note to their collars.
If that was directed towards me, then yes, I'm serious. I am first going to try to talk to people, leave notes on their door, put that legal notice that was linked in their mailbox, etc. If that still doesn't work, I will attempt to trap the cats and take them to the shelter. I would think after a certain number of fines to reclaim their pet the owners will stop letting their cats run loose through other peoples' homes.

No different than the thread just before about calling the police on the children who play loose in the street, if talking to the parents didn't work.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:41 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,177,021 times
spray them with water. They hate it and prob. wont come back.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:48 PM

560 posts, read 1,106,348 times
There are some products available that are made with fox urine that are supposed to be effective against cats. I havenít tried them because I like the cats that visit me.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:58 PM

23 posts, read 54,370 times
I'm honestly surprised at the hostility here towards outdoor cats. We used to have lots of them in the neighborhood. Personally, I really liked their visits, and I never ran into any cat poop on the lawn or elsewhere. I miss them.

To the guy with four dogs...there is a big difference between four dogs (which would scare the crap out of me if I was your neighbor, fenced in or not) and a cat. For the most part, cats just mind their own business, and they're pretty easy to scare off. Not so with dogs. Unlike dogs, cats don't bark. My neighbor's dogs bark all the time. Cats poop, but proportional to their size.

Anyway, this discussion has certainly shown me a different perspective.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:01 PM

127 posts, read 305,098 times
But even a small amount of cat poop smells so much worse than what my dog produces (at least most days...)!

Old 10-09-2012, 06:07 PM

5,738 posts, read 8,941,773 times
We have neighbors like this too, unfortunately. It really is so completely self-absorbed and inconsiderate--and it's absolutely neglectful of the animals. An outdoor cat is more likely to get hit by a car or get into fights with other cats. And they decimate the bird population.

A neighbor's cat used to like to come into our backyard at will--until I started letting our dog handle the situation. A few instances of almost becoming a German Shepherd's appetizer, and that was the last we saw of that pest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuxcents View Post
I'm honestly surprised at the hostility here towards outdoor cats. We used to have lots of them in the neighborhood. Personally, I really liked their visits, and I never ran into any cat poop on the lawn or elsewhere. I miss them.
Our next-door neighbor has two cats, which he keeps indoors. One time while he was at work, some idiot contractor he'd hired left his back door ajar. Another neighbor's cat got into his house and attacked his cat--and freaked it out so much that it now is on prozac. No joke.

CaliTerp: If your neighborhood has a listserve, that's a good place to start. Otherwise, you might ask around and see if anyone knows who they belong to. Then talk to them. I suspect that if you get that far, the owners will throw their hands in the air and say "They're cats; I can't control them once they're outdoors." And that's when I think you'd be within your rights to unleash the pepper spray the next time you see one of these cats on your porch. Yeah, that sounds mean--but we're talking temporary pain, and you'll only have to do it once. Plus, by that point, you've warned the owners. They had a chance to put a stop to it. You shouldn't have to tolerate cat crap on your property.

(And I actually like cats, if they're kept responsibly.)

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 10-09-2012 at 06:42 PM..

Old 10-09-2012, 06:18 PM

421 posts, read 818,969 times
I can't even believe this thread. Pepper spray? You can pepper spray the owners, if you must, but leave the cats alone. They are being cats. They unlike the owners, don't know better. Good grief, people.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:23 PM

5,738 posts, read 8,941,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed&Confused View Post
I can't even believe this thread. Pepper spray? You can pepper spray the owners, if you must, but leave the cats alone. They are being cats. They unlike the owners, don't know better. Good grief, people.
Cats being cats? Exactly: That's the problem. They're territorial. They think CaliTerp's porch is their territory. (Specifically, their toilet.) And they'd probably just get a very small dose of pepper--enough to get their attention and cause them a few minutes of alarm--and that would end the problem.

But OK, pepper-spray the owners too!

I love animals, but if we do it to people with no lasting damage, I think that in an extreme case like this (and I'd consider defecating on my porch to be extreme), it's OK to use it on a cat too.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 10-09-2012 at 06:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia