U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 11:21 PM

1,403 posts, read 1,847,932 times

Advertisements

There is an additional concern with cat feces, by the way. Say if your neighbor's cat defecated in your flower garden and you didn't realize it and handled the flower garden while being pregnant, you could miscarry from toxoplasmosis. In essence, cat poop is a biohazard to unborn children, which is why it is doubly irresponsible to let your cat go around pooping on other people's property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 12:27 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,315,521 times
I suggest an automated water cannon with a sensor -- just blast the cat away with H2O!

Old 10-10-2012, 12:39 AM

2,688 posts, read 5,951,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
My dog poops ON lawns - my cat digs holes and poops INto them. There is no way of knowing where those covered poops are, so I can't really go around cleaning them up. If I knew where they were hidden, I would.
Like HokieFan, I'll be planting a lot of bulbs in the next few weeks, and I would really not want to run into cat poop in this process.

Anyone want to place a bet on how soon someone will chime in that it's good fertilizer, and who it will be? ?

Old 10-10-2012, 03:29 AM

7,926 posts, read 9,639,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuxcents View Post

To the guy with four dogs...there is a big difference between four dogs (which would scare the crap out of me if I was your neighbor, fenced in or not) and a cat. For the most part, cats just mind their own business, and they're pretty easy to scare off. Not so with dogs. Unlike dogs, cats don't bark. My neighbor's dogs bark all the time. Cats poop, but proportional to their size.
Annoyance is Annoyance - in any form. If a cat is pooping all over my deck, that can be as annoying (or more) than a barking dog. Depends where your tolerances are. And, just so you know, I am very aware of the noise my dogs make. They are never outside without me right there listening. At the first sign of barking, the offender comes right in the house. And, instead of waiting for neighbors to tell me they are annoyed, I often ask them if the dogs are causing any problem for them. So far, no issues; but I will always continue to ask. And if I have an annoyed neighbor, I will resolve the problem.

(by the way, I'm a "gal", not a "guy". )

Old 10-10-2012, 03:38 AM

6,553 posts, read 10,842,297 times
Quote:
he escaped one day and was perfectly content outside, so we have been letting him out ever since. Sure, call me selfish for not wanting to be woken up at 4 am - that's fine.

I am within my rights to let my cat outside. He spends much less time outside in this neighborhood than in our old neighborhood. He's also not the only one. From what I can tell he sticks fairly close to our house, and we have told our immediate neighbors about him so that they aren't surprised by our cat jumping over the fence into their yard. When I call for him, he seems to come running from one of 3 yards.

I have had indoor cats since I was young. This one is just different. He was a loud miserable mess until he escaped that day. I worry about him and I know the risks. But I also find it pretty miserable of someone to consider harming what is obviously a pet. There are more humane ways to deal with such things.
Wow. That's awfully big of you. I would agree 100% if you could keep that cat within your yard but knowing cats, you can't. I'm an animal lover and a dog trainer. I've seen so many people with pets that have no businesses having them. I support needing a permit to own animals and having kids. We should have to have a license to do either.

Said partially in jest before anyone blows up.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:45 AM

6,553 posts, read 10,842,297 times
AM I reading this right? You also have a dog that roams the neighborhood and they are allowed to with your knowledge? You're certainly gunning for neighbor of the month here.

Quote:
My dog poops ON lawns - my cat digs holes and poops INto them. There is no way of knowing where those covered poops are, so I can't really go around cleaning them up. If I knew where they were hidden, I would.

Look, if someone has a problem with my cat is is annoyed by something he is doing, I am an approachable person and would hear the person out. If it came down to it and I HAD to keep him from being a destructive creature to our neighbors, at this point, I'd likely send him to live on a farm/large property where no one would have a problem with his roaming tendencies.

I wasn't the person who originally let the cat outside - it was my husband. I argued with him because I didn't really WANT him to be an indoor-outdoor cat. But we also had a child who was a crap sleeper, and yes, we chose to let HER sleep for our sanity (as well as the sanity of our neighbor who shared a wall with us, her teachers, etc.) In our old neighborhood, everyone was well acquainted with our family, which included our cat. Everyone I encountered said what a sweet cat he was, and other than fights with the neighborhood bully cat, he didn't seem to have any trouble. And trust me, in that neighborhood, no one had problems speaking their mind.

I have owned several other cats, all indoor animals. Does this little guy have me trained? Sure. Were/Are we selfish to let him out? Guilty. Am I worried about his safety? Of course...especially after reading other people's hostility. I worried more about him getting hit by a car before...It has been 4 years now, though. It would be very hard to go back now. When he started going out in this neighborhood, I made it clear to our neighbors to please let us know if he was making a nuisance of himself.

I accept all your criticism of me, however I still think it is unfair to say I shouldn't have adopted him or I don't care enough about him. We give him a nice home, love and attention, food, medical care, all of it. He generally cuddles up to me at night and sleeps purring on top of me. I would rather give the dog away than him. The only person he has ever scratched that I am aware of is my child, and that was self-defense.

Look, the only reason I got involved in this discussion in the first place was to chime in that people you knew do have beloved cats who happen to roam. Pile on and hate me if you must. I just thought it might encourage people to be slightly more humane to these animals.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:55 AM

2,670 posts, read 4,519,607 times
Rather than attempt to defend your decisions, which are indefensible, please reconsider them. Stop framing this as "you big meanies are saying i don't love my pets" when multiple people are trying to get ypu to understand that you need to train your pets to stay inside or in your yard, or walk them on a leash. And, one more time, you are NOT within your legal rights in FFX to let your pets roam and trespass. You can be fined by a magistrate if a neighbor chooses to have the law enforced. Your attitude seems to be crying out for a Judge Judy smack down.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
They are? Please cite the law that says that.
That was posted on the first page of this thread.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:21 AM

5,738 posts, read 8,940,261 times
Quote:
My dog poops ON lawns - my cat digs holes and poops INto them....Look, if someone has a problem with my cat is is annoyed by something he is doing, I am an approachable person and would hear the person out.
The problem with this is twofold:

1. The burden should not be on your neighbors to have to take the time and endure the stress of confronting you, as if not having your cat crap on their law is some big favor they're asking. What if a neighbor started dumping trash into your backyard? He could just as easily make your argument. "I'm a reasonable guy! Just ask me to stop dumping my trash!"

2. Some of your neighbors may not know for sure that it's your cat. I'm betting some of them just come home from work to find animal excrement on their property. They're infuriated at this but don't know whom to blame.

I'm sure you mean well, but you have a choice to do the right thing here. It will take a little sacrifice on your part, but it takes guts to admit when you're wrong and to fix it. We've all had to do that at some point in our lives. In your case, all you have to do is just leave the cat inside and ignore the cat when he mews to get out. That's it! Eventually he'll learn it ain't gonna happen.

Question for the group here:

Unfortunately, there are at least three semi-outdoor cats in our neighborhood of Arlington--including the one who terrorize my neighbor's indoor cats. And yet almost everyone here on the forum is as opposed to this practice as I am. I know the NoVa forum is not a random sample of the population, what do you y'all think accounts for the difference? My neighborhood is mostly middle-aged with a few seniors here and there. The "free kitty" contingent's known members have been on the younger side, far as I can tell. Are C-D folks just inherently more outgoing and thus more interested in others' perspectives? Are we just older and more mature?

We do in Arlington seem to have this annoying segment of young (30s) hipster parents--the same people who think they can let a toddler play in the middle of a street at rush hour.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:41 AM

Why yes, I did. There is no restriction to "farm animals".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia