Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 07:52 AM

21 posts, read 53,710 times

Advertisements

Although my ultimate goal is to be in fairfax county I have been offered a home in fredericksburg that has enough room for my family of 8 and would save me nearly 1000.00/month. Granted I hear the commute is brutal but I truly am considering this option. Can anyone give me some input on the area (Lee Hill subdivision and surrounding area in particular). How far is the nearest vre station? schools? crime? etc..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 07:18 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,928,362 times
Lovely area....Fredericksburg/Spotsy is fine...no more crime than any other suburban area. Can't help with VRE....there's not enough money in the world to entice me to commute. Brutal, is right! I-95 is horrendous from Fredericksburg to NoVa! Maybe at 2-3am, traffic will run at speed...otherwise, it's a "creep along" sort of thing.

If you could tele-commute, that would be the ticket!

Old 10-11-2012, 12:52 PM

I suppose traffic is like that from most places in va when driving on I95. I'll be at home since work would have taken me into alexandria and I'm not willing to spend that much time away from my brood of 6. The husband however has decided he will commute and adjust his hours as necessary. Thanks again cb at sea for the reassurance on the area.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:56 PM

1,526 posts, read 2,245,294 times
I would take a look at greatschools.org before you come to a decision

Old 10-11-2012, 01:17 PM

687 posts, read 1,370,162 times
The commute up I 95 is not that bad. Driving in the HOV lanes will cut your time in half.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:48 PM

9,763 posts, read 15,694,202 times
Smittys8,

Where are you moving from? Or what other big cities have you lived in? The traffic in NoVA really, REALLY stinks and can be very eye-opening (and not in a good way) to someone who is not used to living in a large city like NY, Chicago, LA, etc.

A commute from Fredericksburg to Pentagon would be pretty awful, I would think. It is 50 miles one way. On a good day with no traffic (i.e. 2 am on Sunday morning), it would take you an hour to get to work. In rush hour (which lasts several hours), who knows? Doing that day in and day out twice a day can add a lot of stress to you and your family. Even on VRE, your husband would have a 1 hour 10 minute train ride each way. That does not include driving to the train station, parking, walking on the other end, etc.

One-thousand dollars sounds like a lot of money, but I would research very carefully before you commit to it. A commute from Burke or Springfield would be much, much better - about half the time. VRE costs would be less, as would gas costs if he drives to work. But (to steal an overused saying from a credit card ad), the extra hour per day that your husband is home with you and the kids: PRICELESS!

Lastly, while I'm sure some of the schools in the Fredericksburg area are adequate, I'm not sure they would be called "excellent" at least compared to Fairfax schools. If that's what you are looking for, then again, check out Burke or somewhere else in Fairfax.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:12 AM

Thanks everyone for the input. We have a rob of things to consider #1 being the commute.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:29 PM

146 posts, read 341,792 times
I live in Spotsy but I cannot speak to the commute. I can tell you that most of the schools are good. Greatschools.org is a terrible resource. The local school acheivement results can be seen here . Spotsy schools did far better than Stafford although I believe that Lee's Hill is in the Massaponax HS district and that is not so great.
It is a nice place to live with relatively low crime.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacmadhel View Post
I live in Spotsy but I cannot speak to the commute. I can tell you that most of the schools are good. Greatschools.org is a terrible resource. The local school acheivement results can be seen here . Spotsy schools did far better than Stafford although I believe that Lee's Hill is in the Massaponax HS district and that is not so great.
It is a nice place to live with relatively low crime.
It is in the Massaponax High district and I have a high schooler in all AP classes should I be worried to transfer him there? Is it crime, drugs, low test scores or something in particular?

Old 10-13-2012, 03:37 PM

146 posts, read 341,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittys8 View Post
It is in the Massaponax High district and I have a high schooler in all AP classes should I be worried to transfer him there? Is it crime, drugs, low test scores or something in particular?
I cannot honestly say that I know, other than it is not crime. That district leaves a bit to be desired but it is comprised of mostly middle/upper middle class folks. My point is that is not a complete ___hole. I actually know a few teachers there, I would like to ask them but I am afraid of insulting them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia