Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2012, 03:58 PM

5 posts, read 6,308 times

Advertisements

Howdy c-d folks,

First of all, I want to say that it's been pretty interesting to read all of the points of view about the area. Wish I'd have found out about this forum sooner. :-)

In any case, I'll get right to it. I've taken a new job back home (I grew up in PWC, lived in Vienna for 18 months, then moved back to PWC in an apartment in Manassas for a few months before I relocated to Seattle in November of 2007; at the time the apartments were brand new and it was more space for less money). Fast forward 5 years, and now I'm slated to relocate (11/19/2012) back to NoVA. I've taken a new job with a home base in Reston, VA (Sunrise Valley Drive) but with the added bonus of super flexible office hours, ie WFH 2-3 days out of the week, or if I've just gotten off of travel, WFH all week one week, then WFO the next week.

I enjoyed living in Vienna (I was in those apartments right by James Madison High - where Nutley and 123 meet), but due to the flexible WFO hours, my options are pretty open on where I could live. I have a fiancee but no kids (yet), but I also don't have a lot saved up for a downpayment on a home, so we're probably going to rent for a while. My ideal budget is 2k a month, but I have another $300 for wiggle room if need be. I've done some preliminary searching on craigslist for rentals, but I wanted to get some opinions on living in Reston, and what commutes are like from areas like Fairfax (or even further out in Loudon) to Reston. I'm thinking that if anything, it would be more ideal to stay east of Reston for the "reverse commute", but at the same time I know there's the silver line stops in Reston and Ashburn coming along...

I like my space - I grew up in Dale City, moved to Montclair the summer after my sophomore year of high school, and 5 years of working in Seattle (and living in Seattle proper for 1 of those years) has taught me that living in urban areas isn't really my style. Our apartment now is 1208 sq feet, so I'd like something at least the same size, but preferably bigger.

Any and all input is appreciated, and also feel free to provide input on the topic question - educate a guy that's been away for half a decade. :-)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 04:55 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,691,641 times
Welcome back!

I think you'll get more help if you post a new thread with your question as the subject line. (I had to hunt around till I finally found it.) E.g., "Where Should I Rent Near Reston for $2K/Month?"

Alas, I have no idea what the answer is. But good luck.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:01 PM

5 posts, read 6,308 times
Thanks, and thanks for the response. I'm able to search the forums about where to live in Reston, and have done so, but I'm more interested in drumming up conversation about the topic question, with the Reston/commuting bits as an aside (sorry if the way I've written the post makes that confusing).

Old 10-10-2012, 05:04 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,691,641 times
Ah, okay then. Well, I'm betting that the biggest change will be an increase in traffic and in development in Reston. Just a guess. That and the fact that NGA moved out of Reston, to Ft. Belvoir. The big change to come will be the Silver Line Metro.

And here's a PDF of the entire planned route, including two stations in Reston.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 10-10-2012 at 05:12 PM..

Old 10-10-2012, 05:04 PM

9,865 posts, read 14,045,912 times
Sounds to me like you should try and rent a townhouse. You'll get more space than an apartment. Also, I think Reston is a great location for you. No need to travel further, if you don't have to. Another option might be Herndon, close to the clocktower area.

Good luck and welcome back!

Edited to answer the original question: Traffic has gotten worse. Ashburn is much bigger and more developed. Reston Town Center has a lot more restaurants. Nothing drastic has changed in Vienna (that's a good thing), but there is a new "town center" area opening in Merrifield.

Oh, you won't recognize Tysons Corner at all.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:46 PM

9,767 posts, read 15,731,848 times
"Save the clocktower. Save the clocktower." Sorry, I just watched "Back to the Future" the other weekend for the 8,000 time.

I think Reston and Herndon are good bets. Reston is more polished to me and Herndon is more gritty, in general. I think you could do the Sterling area, too, but then you'd be commuting with everyone else. And with a $2K budget, I think you'd be just fine in Reston. The Metro will be in Reston in a year or 2, but not for Ashburn for several.

So, if you're going to rent, why not stay close to your job and then it will give you time to reaquaint yourself with the area? A short commute goes a long way to enjoying your life. Welcome back!

Old 10-10-2012, 08:12 PM

1,449 posts, read 3,164,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
"Save the clocktower. Save the clocktower." Sorry, I just watched "Back to the Future" the other weekend for the 8,000 time.
haha - I keep watching the trilogy on the pay channels I seem to be getting for free, too

I watched Splash for the first time in years today, too. Ah, the movies of my childhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia