U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 11:55 PM

1,403 posts, read 1,847,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kww View Post
realtor here, definitely don't object to their existence.

every potential buyer is educated on Megan's Law and of websites like familywatchdog.us.. at that point, it is at the buyers discretion.
Interesting passive sentence. Who is doing the education?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 12:15 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,122,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
Interesting passive sentence. Who is doing the education?
the extent I would get involved is to explain that in my state, the buyers should exercise whatever diligence they feel necessary to research any and all prospective locations they may choose to purchase a property in, and to not rely on the sellers to disclose any information concerning the existence or not of a registered offender.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:33 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,013,351 times
Quote:
the extent I would get involved is to explain that in my state, the buyers should exercise whatever diligence they feel necessary to research any and all prospective locations they may choose to purchase a property in, and to not rely on the sellers to disclose any information concerning the existence or not of a registered offender.
Perhaps that's a service better left to the buyer's agent. They seem to be used much more frequently around here lately.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:19 AM

35 posts, read 61,471 times
Quote:
I do AGREE with KWW to a certain degree. Although not legally obligated, I still feel it makes good business sense as an agent to disclose that snippet of information, even though that may or may not result in a possible no-sale. It's better to provide all and every information and know that you have done your best professionally than to stand accused of not being completely forward.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:47 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,013,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corinaisland View Post
I do AGREE with KWW to a certain degree. Although not legally obligated, I still feel it makes good business sense as an agent to disclose that snippet of information, even though that may or may not result in a possible no-sale. It's better to provide all and every information and know that you have done your best professionally than to stand accused of not being completely forward.
Well you wouldn't have my listing for long if you did it without my permission.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:41 AM

35 posts, read 61,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Well you wouldn't have my listing for long if you did it without my permission.
CAVA well of course as an agent you are first working in the interest of your client so it is important to discuss it over but complete full disclosure is always best. That's my own personal opinion and no one else has to share it.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:57 AM

5,048 posts, read 6,898,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Perhaps that's a service better left to the buyer's agent. They seem to be used much more frequently around here lately.

Good point. I was wondering why the controversy on this. It must be the person isn't familiar with buyer's agents, which are more and more popular around the country...makes sense.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corinaisland View Post
CAVA well of course as an agent you are first working in the interest of your client so it is important to discuss it over but complete full disclosure is always best. That's my own personal opinion and no one else has to share it.
What are you considering complete disclosure. As I mentioned a few posts back it is on the state addendum that the buyer should check the registry.

I'm not a realtor but I know some. I've asked them about this over the years since I'm interested in it. Surprisingly some buyers say they're not worried...those have gotten really low prices on homes after they went through foreclosure. Others are concerned not only about their own family, wife or children, but also about resale.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:25 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,623,292 times
There are different requirements for disclosure depending upon whether the agent is representing the buyer or the seller. The seller is only required to disclose information about the condition of the property, not whether the neighbor is a sex offender. The seller also does not have to disclose if there has been a murder in the property or if the house is thought to be haunted, and the seller's agent may not disclose these situations without the seller's permission. In my opinion, the buyer's agent has a greater responsibility, and at the very least, must furnish the buyer with the Megan's Law Disclosure which advises the buyer to contact the local police department of the Department of State Police Central Records Exchange at 804-674-2000 or Virginia State Police. I would also advise just googling the property address, you may be surprised at what you find.

A conflict arises when the listing agent also represents the buyer (dual agency). Some states do not allow this (Maryland is one) and I think Virginia should also forbid dual agency. I do not allow it in my brokerage as I do not see how you can avoid a conflict of interest when you represent both sides. The temptation to the listing agent to collect the whole commission if the sale goes through, in my opinion, is too great to give proper representation to the buyer. I'm sure I'll hear about this from my fellow Realtors.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
Who, crickets or realtors?
I'm not sure about realtors and the sex offender registry. Realtors work for people. How about posing the question do buyers and sellers care about the registry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia