U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 10:11 AM

1,623 posts, read 4,322,617 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of Fios, how much did the price increase after the 1 or 2 year guaranteed rate? Before taxes, it is about $80 a month for the basic TV tier and 15 mbps internet. That seems pretty good since I am paying Verizon $45 per month for 4.5 mbps DSL and I currently don't have cable (just using an antenna and Amazon prime). It is $70 just for the Fios internet, so $10 a month more for TV doesn't seem bad.

The $80 rate is guaranteed only for 1 year though. When I got the DSL, it was originally $30 for 1.5 mbps, then bumped up to $40 after a year, then to $45 a year, then upgraded to 4.5 mbps when I complained and said I was going to switch to Comcast, and they are trying to up the bill to $50 next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 10:14 AM

4,489 posts, read 9,552,856 times
I really wonder if there wasn't bad installation here years ago, and that's the cause of all these issues. We have to reset the FIOS box around once a week on the upstairs TV (I know, I know, first world problems). It freezes a lot.

Comcast did raise our bill a couple times over the course of the 2 years we had them, but they were always so accommodating when I would call (or internet chat) them. Without fail, I'd call, ask why our bill went up, and they'd find a way to magically drop it $30 and give us free HBO for 6 months. I imagine a lot of people don't have the patience for that, but I didn't mind spending 10 minutes to save $30/month.

Dish were the nicest customer service people I have ever dealt with regarding TV. They came out to my house several times, free of charge, when Snowmaggedon knocked the dish off track, or when the box went down. In the course of the 2 years we had them, we never had any complaints--someone always answered the phone in perfect English, and cheerfully helped us resolve the issue.

Verizon is just rude. In all fairness, all the issues we've had are probably due to faulty set up (the service itself doesn't seem to go out), but they deny that any of it is their fault, and then charge you for calling in with questions. They set up our account wrong in the beginning, and then charged us a "change fee" to get back to what we had actually asked for. They won't come out to look at our equipment, they refuse to admit there might be a problem, and they've hung up on me several times (and I'm not a rude person on the phone!) I just have very little love for them, at the moment.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:17 AM

765 posts, read 848,183 times
For technical problems, I've always used Verizon Direct and not going through phone support. I've always been able to get to a technical person directly and not having to deal with customer support who usually have no clue.

https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/vzdirect

Old 10-15-2012, 01:53 PM

254 posts, read 362,322 times
I pay less than I ever did in Pittsburgh for 50/25 internet + HD Cable. However, they have yet to cash my check yet and I dare them to charge me a late fee. I won't be chatting with them on the internet and I won't be calling either.

They will see me in person with or without my lawyer. Putting them on blast on local or national TV over a bill will make my day, week, and year. I also guarantee, I will have 95% of Verizon users on my side on this one. There are only a few types of people I truly hate in this world: murderers, child predators, and Verizon Fios employees.

The idea of advertising a double or triple play plan and charging $20+ in mystery fees is one thing.
The idea of not letting me log in to the site to pay my bill is another thing.
The idea of being charged $3.50 by phone is another thing.
The idea of being charged $3.50 to pay online to their 'other' 'quicker' site makes me blood boil!
The idea of mailing my check over a week before it is due only for them to not cash it until they feel like it and then charging me a late fee on the next bill make me wanna eat lightning and crap thunder!!!!

Old 10-23-2012, 12:43 PM

621 posts, read 2,920,980 times
We have Fios and love it. We've never had any of the problems you mention. I mail my check and it gets there just fine. I had comcast before and hated it, the cable was always going out. We moved to NC for a year and had Timewarner and it was awful, I couldn't believe something was worse than Comcast, but there was. We couldn't wait to get back and rehook up our Fios. I'm really surprised you're having such an issue. Why don't you switch to something else then if they're such a problem? No one is forcing you to have fios. If you hardly watch any channels why don't you get basic cable or cancel all together? There are other options for internet. It really seems like you are blowing this WAY out of proportion. Calm down, its just cable

Old 10-23-2012, 03:17 PM

499 posts, read 1,889,421 times
I haven't had any issues with Verizon. When we moved here in July, we tried to sign up with Comcast. After three laborious attempts, we decided that either they didn't want us as a customer or it was a perfect example of their inability to provide a service.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:32 AM

1,784 posts, read 2,981,744 times
The quality and tech support for FiOS has been fine. No problems there.

BUT

The billing has been absolutely awful. I'm fully convinced they've screwed us out of at least $100 over the past year, but I can't prove it because their billing is intentionally incredibly complicated so that you can't understand it.

After a year we were talked into upgrading from just Internet to Internet+TV, and as part of the deal we would get free DVR for 6 months. Well long story short, they started charging for the DVR after 3 months, and every time we called to try and fix and explain things, they would try to give us something"free" to compensate, and the proceed to screw that up and start charging us for our "free" perk. This happened about 4 times in a row over 4 months, each time compounding and further confusing the problem.

By the end of it, I couldn't make heads of tails out of the billing since there were about 50 line items and credits and bundle comments on each statement. All I know is what we agreed to pay per month (including taxes they don't advertise), and the total amount that came off our credit card during that time period, and they don't match. Unfortunately I can never prove it since many of the things were offered verbally over the phone.

I'm convinced Verizon is trying to turn their customer support / billing into a profit center, instead of just an expense for them, even if it's completely shady.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:05 AM

3,845 posts, read 3,950,276 times
I'm wondering why the moderator isn't shutting this thread down to protect Verizon. In the Real Estate forum I critisized a shady Real Estate agent and they deleted it fast.

But I digress, I also have Verizon Fios. It's fine but I've had to utilize customer svc a few times to keep it working. I think the agents are quality people but you can tell they are working in a huge, poorly built organization. The worse thing is that no one agent can speak about billing across all services... they do not have access to the different segments. This surely leads to incorrect billing in their favor.

And I wouldn't throw a life jacket to a drowning Verizon executive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia