Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 11:07 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,453,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
More support, but they could never win because the R's want to cut federal spending. Rudy Giulliani wouldn't be able to win Moran's district.
Rudy Giuliani would not meet the conditions I identified, for most district voters currently voting with the Ds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 11:28 AM

428 posts, read 1,114,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I've now been redistricted from Wolf's district to Moran's district twice. I can't get away from the guy. However, as current NoVa congressional districts go, (1) the 8th district (compared to those of Connolly and Wolf) is fairly compact and has some logic to it; (2) it's solidly Democratic; and (3) as a result of the foregoing, my sense is that Republicans rarely provide strong support to those challenging Moran.

Murphy's materials look very amateurish to me, which is a shame if he's actually got good ideas. I'm guessing that the Random capitalization of various Words on his campaign web site bother Carlingtonian even more than me.
::snort::

I haven't followed his campaign, as it's not my district, but does the man not have a press secretary? I'm always amazed when this is apparently the best foot candidates (or any professionals, for that matter) have to put forward.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:00 PM

92 posts, read 201,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
One point was that, IMHO, all of the conditions I named were necessary, though having one alone was not sufficient. The R candidates that have run in the district, at least since I have lived here, have lacked at least one and often all of those conditions.
As I said, it wouldn't matter if they did have all of those qualities, because they would still lose.

Quote:
The other point was that I did not predict victory even under all the conditions. I said that Rs would have more support than they receive now.
I doubt they would get more support. If they have the same position as the Democrat but run as Republicans, then they will lose more support than they gain, because Republicans won't vote for them.

In any event, a defeat by a smaller margin... is still a defeat.

Quote:
There are a number of voters who agree on many of the positions taken by the Democratic candidates but differ on others, e.g., for local offices, might prefer candidates who aren't as happy to spend as much property tax money on schools.
But this can have nothing to do with Moran versus any actual or hypothetical Republican, since now you are talking about local offices not the Representative in Congress.

The fact is that the district is designed so that Moran will always win. It simply does not matter what the Republican says or who the Republican is. The contest is a sham designed to provide the trappings of democracy. The best thing the Republicans could do is to cease participating in the charade -- i.e., let Moran run unopposed.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:00 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Moran because Republicans nowadays remind me of the John Birchers we moderate Republicans couldn't stand back in the 60s and 70s.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:07 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehuster View Post
The fact is that the district is designed so that Moran will always win. It simply does not matter what the Republican says or who the Republican is. The contest is a sham designed to provide the trappings of democracy. The best thing the Republicans could do is to cease participating in the charade -- i.e., let Moran run unopposed.
If you change Moran to Wolf, Republican to Democrat and 8th to 10th, would you say the same thing? Both Moran and Wolf regularly win by large margins and, if anything, Wolf's district is currently the more gerry-mandered to ensure his re-election.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:47 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bornindc View Post
Having had some personal experience with Moran, I can only say that I am somewhat amazed he keeps getting re-elected. I know it is because so many people in the district aren't paying attention and just pull the lever for the Democrat. If more people met this guy (i.e. if he actually had to campaign in a district that wasn't created to keep a Democrat elected) he'd be replaced pretty quickly I think. And I have no dog in the fight, I no longer live in the district and am an independent who has voted for Democrats. Chalk it up to our bi-party system where the "competing" parties work together to keep incumbents in office.
I do live in his district, and I am not afraid to vote for a Republican, because that's what I do whenever a member of the Arlington County Board is up for re-election.

But I'm voting for Moran. He's a good congressman. I've complained to his office a couple of times about different issues, and they are very responsive. I also agree with most of his positions. I think he does his job well.

I'm Carlingtonian, and I approve this message.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 10-19-2012 at 04:06 PM..

Old 10-19-2012, 04:59 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,510,115 times
A moderate, centrist Republican would have a slim chance, especially with some support from the RNC. Murray, however, has no regard for the district he's running in. His positions are a better fit for Northern Mississippi, not Northern Virginia.

Furthermore I find it creepy that he continues to refer to himself by his military rank, although he is retired. My personal experience with people who do this have severe difficulty transitioning to civilian life. For someone who lists a "Code of Ethics" on his website, I find it ironic that he's very close to violating the ethical and legal standards on the use of military status and political activities.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:49 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
A moderate, centrist Republican would have a slim chance, especially with some support from the RNC. Murray, however, has no regard for the district he's running in. His positions are a better fit for Northern Mississippi, not Northern Virginia.

Furthermore I find it creepy that he continues to refer to himself by his military rank, although he is retired. My personal experience with people who do this have severe difficulty transitioning to civilian life. For someone who lists a "Code of Ethics" on his website, I find it ironic that he's very close to violating the ethical and legal standards on the use of military status and political activities.
Why don't the Republicans run more moderate candidates here? I'll bet they'd have a reasonable shot with someone who supported the following:

Fiscal responsibility and well managed government
Law and order including reasonable gun control laws
Strong defense but not overly interventionist (non-neocon)
A balanced mid-east policy
Support of Roe v. Wade
Socially hands-off - leave it up to the states
Good public schools but locally controlled and state fundied
Good roads and infrastructure
Pro-business and anti-union
Moderately religious (non-evangelical)
Pro-Medicare and Social Security but conservative about welfare and other social programs

When I was a kid, Republicans like Eisenhower, Nixon, Ford, and the non-Taft wing of the party believed in those things. I can't believe the mainstream out in the burbs who voted for them have changed all that much.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:59 PM

1,295 posts, read 2,508,755 times
I'm surprised Moran hasn't, in my recent memory, had any challengers within his own party. I vote for him every time, but I've met the guy a few times and he's a flaming A**H***.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:04 AM

437 posts, read 1,228,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
I'm surprised Moran hasn't, in my recent memory, had any challengers within his own party. I vote for him every time, but I've met the guy a few times and he's a flaming A**H***.
Pretty much sums up my experience (other than the fact I can't stomach voting for him). The fact is there really hasn't been a viable alternative to him we could vote for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia