U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 08:27 PM

394 posts, read 600,777 times

Advertisements

Who are you voting and why? I don't know enough about these two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 09:45 PM

2,688 posts, read 5,954,114 times
Moran’s Greatest Hits! | Retire Jim Moran

About | Colonel Patrick Murray for United States Congress

Old 10-19-2012, 06:39 AM

437 posts, read 1,072,738 times
Having had some personal experience with Moran, I can only say that I am somewhat amazed he keeps getting re-elected. I know it is because so many people in the district aren't paying attention and just pull the lever for the Democrat. If more people met this guy (i.e. if he actually had to campaign in a district that wasn't created to keep a Democrat elected) he'd be replaced pretty quickly I think. And I have no dog in the fight, I no longer live in the district and am an independent who has voted for Democrats. Chalk it up to our bi-party system where the "competing" parties work together to keep incumbents in office.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:53 AM

5,071 posts, read 8,622,267 times
I've now been redistricted from Wolf's district to Moran's district twice. I can't get away from the guy. However, as current NoVa congressional districts go, (1) the 8th district (compared to those of Connolly and Wolf) is fairly compact and has some logic to it; (2) it's solidly Democratic; and (3) as a result of the foregoing, my sense is that Republicans rarely provide strong support to those challenging Moran.

Murphy's materials look very amateurish to me, which is a shame if he's actually got good ideas. I'm guessing that the Random capitalization of various Words on his campaign web site bother Carlingtonian even more than me.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:38 AM

2,671 posts, read 4,524,961 times
Moran votes the way I want him to (most of the time). That's what I care about.

IMHO, if Republicans ran intelligent, honest candidates whose positions on the issues matched those of many Arlingtonians and others in the district, they would get much more support.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post

Murphy's materials look very amateurish to me, which is a shame if he's actually got good ideas. I'm guessing that the Random capitalization of various Words on his campaign web site bother Carlingtonian even more than me.
LOL!! Add me to the nitpicky list!

Old 10-19-2012, 09:45 AM

92 posts, read 168,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post

IMHO, if Republicans ran intelligent, honest candidates whose positions on the issues matched those of many Arlingtonians and others in the district, they would get much more support.
If the Republicans ran candidates who were intelligent and honest, but whose whose positions on the issues did not match those of many Arlingtonians, then it wouldn't matter that they were intelligent and honest, because they would still lose.

If the Republicans ran someone whose positions on the issues matched those of many Arlingtonians, then they would have nominated a candidate who was a Democrat. (If the candidate was also neither intelligent nor honest, then he would be precisely identical to Jim Moran). In that case, Democrat voters would say, "Republicans and Democrats have identical candidates, so I'll just vote Democrat like I always do." Meanwhile, Republican voters would stay home in disgust. And thus the Republican candidate would still lose.

Not seeing a path to victory in your proposal for the Republicans...

Old 10-19-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehuster View Post
If the Republicans ran candidates who were intelligent and honest, but whose whose positions on the issues did not match those of many Arlingtonians, then it wouldn't matter that they were intelligent and honest, because they would still lose.

If the Republicans ran someone whose positions on the issues matched those of many Arlingtonians, then they would have nominated a candidate who was a Democrat. (If the candidate was also neither intelligent nor honest, then he would be precisely identical to Jim Moran). In that case, Democrat voters would say, "Republicans and Democrats have identical candidates, so I'll just vote Democrat like I always do." Meanwhile, Republican voters would stay home in disgust. And thus the Republican candidate would still lose.

Not seeing a path to victory in your proposal for the Republicans...
One point was that, IMHO, all of the conditions I named were necessary, though having one alone was not sufficient. The R candidates that have run in the district, at least since I have lived here, have lacked at least one and often all of those conditions.

The other point was that I did not predict victory even under all the conditions. I said that Rs would have more support than they receive now. There are a number of voters who agree on many of the positions taken by the Democratic candidates but differ on others, e.g., for local offices, might prefer candidates who aren't as happy to spend as much property tax money on schools. They might support moderate Rs who also meet the other standards. But since the Rs never seem to run such candidates, it is rational for voters to support the Ds, because they espouse positions that match more of the voters' positions.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:16 AM

8,803 posts, read 7,564,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post

More support, but they could never win because the R's want to cut federal spending. Rudy Giulliani wouldn't be able to win Moran's district.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:20 AM

5,071 posts, read 8,622,267 times
I believe there was a time when the Republicans could have nominated a moderate candidate for the 8th District who might have been to Moran's right, and won, had she or he come across as intelligent and having more personal integrity than Moran was viewed as possessing.

It seems that moment has passed. Time has largely been Moran's friend: he doesn't seem to get into quite as many near-brawls as in the past; he continues to vote for political measures that most of his constituents strongly support; and his district only seems to get more favorable (in response to the growing population in Alexandria and Arlington, the 8th was redrawn to exclude part of Vienna that's balanced and pick up the most Democratic part of McLean).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia