U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 02:16 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,174,943 times

Advertisements

ADT is coming today to setup an alarm and I did get the police report. I guess the alarm system will help me sleep better. I did get some sleeping pills from the er ( I had to go to get my wrist checked, nothing was broken).

My cleaning lady came on Sunday and I helped her (she was running late for her next assignment ) to place the garbage backs in the back of the house so she could leave and I guess I did not lock the back door because there was no signs of broken entry. I guess I am still in shock, or I personally do not want to believe it would happen again. It does seem the house was broken randomly. I have been spending a lot of time outside and I guess, whomever broke here thought the house was alone for long periods of time (ie someone was on vacation)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 02:21 PM

1,403 posts, read 1,845,133 times
First of all, I am sorry that this happened to you. It IS scary to be a victim of a violent crime. And there are no two ways about it, it was a violent crime.

Statistically this is a VERY safe region. However, stats mean nothing when it happens to you. Furthermore, regional stats are no defense against individual crime. Most criminals commit crimes of opportunity, in other words they go for the easiest mark. The best defense is not to make yourself the easiest target and take some rudimentary precautions. This includes things like making sure all doors and windows are closed and locked before leaving the house, getting good quality deadbolts and locks, getting an alarm system, not hiding a key outside the house, etc.

Since I have a big family and a sizable house, I have a three tier home defense system. First is the security system. Alarms and monitoring do deter casual criminals, but not determined ones. Second are my dogs. They are of decent size and highly protective. They will definitely keep most criminals away. But truly determined ones intent on harming will kill them and move through. At this point (actually during the disabling of the first two), my wife and I would collect our kids, retreat to the safe room, barricade the door and call 911, during which I would identify exactly where we are in the house and that we are armed. At this point, anyone coming through the door without identifying himself as a law enforcement officer gets 00 buckshot until neutralized. One thing I don't do is "room clearing" -- going to look for that "bump in the night" noise. I leave that to professionals who get paid to take the risk. I don't take the chance to be ambushed leaving my wife alone to defend the family.

Will this ever happen? Very very very unlikely. But it helps to be prepared and have a plan. Even in exceptionally safe areas crimes do happen. You should also have an "evacuation plan" for things like fire and natural disasters.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:26 PM

I think pw co. has a high rate of people that is homeless, that is why sometime petty crime is reported around here. That was my first impression.

thanks for all the answers. I feel better now, that i know adt is on their way.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:29 PM

One additional thing to note. When you get ADT, you might want to get a "cell phone back up." Most serious criminals will cut your landline, so that neither you nor the ADT monitoring system can contact outside. ADT can install a backup cell phone on your system so that it can fall back on it for the system to call the monitoring service.

Also, make sure you have a fully charged cell phone in your bedroom or safe room. It can be an older cell phone you no longer use. Even if you no longer have service on that phone, it should still be able to make 911 calls. Lastly, consider installing a strong lock/deadbolt on your bedroom door as well as replacing the bedroom door with a solid, hard to break version. Then learn to barricade it until the police can come.

Consider taking a basic personal/home safety course and even self-defense/firearms class even if you have zero intention of using a weapon of any kind. Knowledge in this regard can't hurt even if you are against using weapons (although you might change your mind in a crisis).

Old 10-22-2012, 03:12 PM

6,544 posts, read 10,813,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayita View Post
Pw co.

You need to report this now. 703 792 6500 if it happened in PWC. You may think this is not a big deal but it is. If you don't report this then the chance of it happening again, this time to a neighbor with kids, increases each day. This person committed a Burglary with assault and this person needs to be locked up before they really hurt someone. You willing to live that? The PD may already have suspects or may be able to easily figure it out by their MO. Call them now.

Edit.

I see you've reported this. Good for you. Also, don't let getting an alarm co make you complacent. I can't tell you how many burglaries I went to as a LEO where the homes and businesses had alarms. Most burglars know how long they have before the alarm co gets the alarm calls the home or business to make sure everything is ok, then call the PD if no answer.

And to the poster talking about burglars cutting phone lines. This rarely happens. I can probably count on both hands I've seen this happen as a 30 year LEO.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
You need to report this now. 703 792 6500 if it happened in PWC. You may think this is not a big deal but it is. If you don't report this then the chance of it happening again, this time to a neighbor with kids, increases each day. This person committed a Burglary with assault and this person needs to be locked up before they really hurt someone. You willing to live that? The PD may already have suspects or may be able to easily figure it out by their MO. Call them now.

Edit.

I see you've reported this. Good for you. Also, don't let getting an alarm co make you complacent. I can't tell you how many burglaries I went to as a LEO where the homes and businesses had alarms. Most burglars know how long they have before the alarm co gets the alarm calls the home or business to make sure everything is ok, then call the PD if no answer.

And to the poster talking about burglars cutting phone lines. This rarely happens. I can probably count on both hands I've seen this happen as a 30 year LEO.
got a police report already

Old 10-22-2012, 06:58 PM

15,875 posts, read 15,219,377 times
Mayita, I believe I came on like gang busters with my prior post and I want to tell you that I am sorry about this. Fact is, I was scared for you.

You have done the right things and all should be well.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:48 PM

thanks for all the answers. I do feel like numb, maybe I am still in shock.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:49 AM

6,544 posts, read 10,813,918 times
Statistically you are unlikely to have this happen to you again. Do repeat burglaries occur? Sure, but they are rare. I haven't read all of the posts but one suggestion I would make is leave on a radio loud enough for others to hear if they are at a window or door or at least when they get in the house. Don't leave it on music but something like WTOP where it's talk all day. Trim any shrubs that are blocking windows and get to know your neighbors. Neighbors looking out for each other is a blessing. One thing to also consider about alarms. As a police officer I preferred silent alarms as it gave us a better chance at catching them as they weren't scared off. But as a homeowner I understand you just want them gone now. If you have an audible alarm, especially one that sounds outside the home, make sure you are reachable 100% of the time. No better way to get your neighbors pissed off by having an alarm sounding for hours because no one can reach you. If possible you should have a secondary backup that can enter the home and shut off the alarm as well.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
With all due respect to your experience, burglaries rarely happen too. A lot of these precautions are exactly those -- precautions, like insurance. Cutting landlines isn't an issue for "cold" burglaries where property theft and vanadalism are the main concerns, but it is a concern in "hot" burglaries that sometimes turn into something else much more violent.
Quote:
As a police officer I preferred silent alarms as it gave us a better chance at catching them as they weren't scared off. But as a homeowner I understand you just want them gone now. If you have an audible alarm, especially one that sounds outside the home, make sure you are reachable 100% of the time. No better way to get your neighbors pissed off by having an alarm sounding for hours because no one can reach you. If possible you should have a secondary backup that can enter the home and shut off the alarm as well.
As you point out, for her, the top priority should be warding off intruders, not apprehending them. Second, many alarms do shut off after a certain amount of time.

Last, another thing to keep in mind is that most local LEAs do require registration of house alarms and do charge for alarm induced "visits" after a certain number of freebies each year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia