U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2012, 05:04 PM

6 posts, read 9,056 times

Advertisements

We are looking at relocating to Fairfax from DC. We found a place we like at the western edge of Great Falls (north of 7). The neighborhood seems like a great place to raise our family but our biggest concern is the possibility of getting redistricted out of Langley HS.

We are clueless when it comes to FFX county politics. Does anyone know if that is a possibility or even a likelihood? Before we commit to the suburbs we'd like as much certainty as possible wrt schools.

Any help is appreciated.

-AdrianFenty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 05:58 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,887,918 times
Mrs Strauss (newly re-elected school board member out there) will not allow Langley's boundaries to be messed with. The very well-heeled and politically connected parents out there will not allow Langley's boundaries to be messed with.

Langley's boundaries are by far the safest in the County.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:36 PM

8,568 posts, read 12,663,611 times
But anything is a possibility in county-wide school districts.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:54 PM

2,772 posts, read 3,651,110 times
I thought Fairfax was only good for businesses to move into from DC, I didnt realize it also was good for business leaders in DC to move to

Welcome to our County Mr. Mayor (if that is you). For what it's worth I was a huge supporter of the work you did in improving DC and reducing crime, improving education, and making it a city that wasn't corrupt (as we saw before and now after your term).

If this isn't Mayor Fenty... kind of a random person to mimic

JEB is our resident school district historian and expert, but as a 30 year resident of our great county of Fairfax I have found that for the most part the political will of great falls is usually accommodated. Changes to that part of the county have been few and far between due to political ramifications.

PS I really hope if you are Mayor Fenty you start frequenting the NOVA board here because I think your insight would be amazing in public policy decisions for a growing urban movement in Fairfax.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:10 PM

2,688 posts, read 5,959,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Mrs Strauss (newly re-elected school board member out there) will not allow Langley's boundaries to be messed with. The very well-heeled and politically connected parents out there will not allow Langley's boundaries to be messed with.

Langley's boundaries are by far the safest in the County.
Yep.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:23 PM

5,071 posts, read 8,635,379 times
I wouldn't expect Langley's boundaries to change any time soon. Putting aside the political clout of Langley families, the enrollment at Langley is projected to decline in the coming years, so it's not as if moving kids who live in Great Falls to Herndon or South Lakes, both of which are more crowded, would help balance enrollments in that part of the county right now. This is actually the first year in a long time when the enrollment at McLean is higher than the enrollment at Langley.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:27 PM

882 posts, read 1,780,042 times
Langley, Madison, and Marshall are all projected to stay below 100% capacity, McLean is currently planned out @ 100%, so it's more likely that others will be moved into those schools.
Map here:http://www.fcps.edu/fts/planning/map...igh2016-17.pdf

Old 10-22-2012, 10:06 PM

6 posts, read 9,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
If this isn't Mayor Fenty... kind of a random person to mimic
Sorry to disappoint you but I am not the real AdrianFenty, just on the internet. The real Adrian Fenty did in fact keep the overt corruption to a minimum.

Between the banana republic gov't, the taxes, the schools, and the emphasis on free everything we've had enough and are moving to the burbs. We aren't sure exactly where and are really struggling with the different part of fairfax county. Part of me thinks that once you cross the FFX county line it's all the same and we should just find the best home possible. I guess each suburb has its unique pro's and con's we just don't know what they are.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:41 AM

2,772 posts, read 3,651,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianFenty View Post
Sorry to disappoint you but I am not the real AdrianFenty, just on the internet. The real Adrian Fenty did in fact keep the overt corruption to a minimum.

Between the banana republic gov't, the taxes, the schools, and the emphasis on free everything we've had enough and are moving to the burbs. We aren't sure exactly where and are really struggling with the different part of fairfax county. Part of me thinks that once you cross the FFX county line it's all the same and we should just find the best home possible. I guess each suburb has its unique pro's and con's we just don't know what they are.
Noooooo

Fairfax has so much community variation, from education to house type to neighborhood feel. To say it is homogeneous is missing out on so many little hamlets and regions that make it great.

Take the water front region or occuquan. Really beautiful water views, wooded feels, active trails, small windy roads, historic feel. Take Herndon, ethnically very diverse, technology corridor, variation in home types from condos to mansions. Great Falls, one part original older residencies of Fairfax mixed in with very affluent neighborhoods. Vienna, community first, great restaurants, biking and walking culture.

The list goes on, it is definitely a heterogeneous county of pocketed vibes.

Why dont you tell us what kind of feel you are looking for and we can whittle it down for you.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:35 AM

513 posts, read 806,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianFenty View Post

Internet = The only place where you can pretend to be someone else and get responded to and not put in the funny farm.

I wonder if the screen name GeorgeBush is taken. You can pretend your talking to the ex Prez.

Last edited by mcleanexec; 10-23-2012 at 08:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia