U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 10:52 AM

2 posts, read 5,148 times

Advertisements

I'm about to accept an offer to relocate to the northern VA area and am looking for some expertise. I'm 26, will be running some business units mostly centered in Tyson's Corner and Arlington (thus my commute would be to these two vicinities), and am wondering where I should look. I'd probably like to rent as that seems the best market strategy in this area right now. I'd like to be in something that is pretty nice; I'm not looking for luxury but have had my fill of college-like apartments. I'd like an area where there's some fun entertainment going on -- I don't need a quiet, family like area, but something with other 20-somethings and good night life. Would like a rental with at least space for a bedroom and office, so perhaps a 2-bedroom, or even a three bedroom to split with a roommate. Are there any developments that cater to this demographic, or roommate services that might? Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2006, 01:07 PM

146 posts, read 766,796 times
Check all the posts on this site from others relocating to this area. There is plenty of info already out there.

Old 09-29-2006, 06:19 PM

84 posts, read 526,518 times
I'd recommend looking in Ballston/Arlington area. Ballston is serviced by the metro and right beside Arlington. Even with rush hour the commute would be minimal. In contrast, if you have to go to Tysons you can go AGAINST traffic on I-66 to the Dulles Toll Road and be in Tysons in probably 15 minutes. Ballston definately has alot going on, and should cater to your age group....nice area, if I were your age I would definately consider living there.

Old 09-29-2006, 06:25 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,342,592 times
Arlington is where you want to be, specifically the neighborhoods along the Orange Line in Ballston, Clarendon and Court House. This area has the highest concentration of young people in Northern Virginia. Most of the rest of Northern Virginia, particularly outside of the Beltway is family-friendly, strip-malled and minivan-glutted so I'd steer clear of that and stick to those communities closest to DC, namely Arlington.

Old 09-30-2006, 11:07 PM

73 posts, read 125,939 times
I have to agree--Ballston. Also, consider Tysons Corner--fairly youthful and very nice as well.

Old 10-03-2006, 08:19 AM

291 posts, read 1,251,121 times
Tysons corner? We always avoid the area when we travel up that way! It has the worse traffic imaginable! Youthful does not always equate to nice in my opinion... sometimes just the opposite thoughts conjure in my mind! LOL! Well good luck to you and your move!

Old 10-03-2006, 11:38 AM

15 posts, read 44,102 times
I work right across 495 on the opposite side of Tyson's Corner (off of Chain Bridge). I would have to agree with the comment about it being very cluttered with traffic. From Chain Bridge road, it takes me almost 20 minutes just to make it on to 495 at the end of the day. You can forget running to the mall during your lunch hour, it's impossible. The area is 'nice'.. but traffic is horrible.

Old 10-03-2006, 12:15 PM

73 posts, read 125,939 times
Well, perhaps the amount of traffic in Tysons suggest how desirable the place is--it has youth, wealth, nice homes, and shopping. If the area didn't have traffic then one must begin to suspect...

BTW, what do you guys think Arlington/Ballston is like? A stroll in the park? Come on!

Old 10-03-2006, 02:07 PM

15 posts, read 44,102 times
Tyson's would be a nice place to live. I "technically" work in McLean which is in walking distance from Tyson's and I would honestly live in either place. Traffic is an issue, but where isn't it in this part of VA, or DC for that matter?? I mostly agree with the youth comments. I'm youthful.. and prefer being around other youthful people. They share more of the same interests, may have recently gone through the same experiences, troubles, and joys that I have and can connect with me more than someone older could (not to say anything bad about older people though).

Old 10-03-2006, 04:13 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,342,592 times
Not to get too off-topic but I'm curious to see what happens with Tysons once the Metro comes out that way. There are lots of grand visions of turning it into essentially an old-style urban community downtown area, but just looking at it's layout, with the wide roads and the large parking lots and strip malls, I have a hard time seeing that ever come to fruition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or