U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 06:21 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,998,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyb1144 View Post
I will make some pasta (not Atkins approved) and tuck in.
Do you know about Dreamfields? It's low carb pasta available at Safeway and Giant. Tastes like regular pasta but nearly all the carbs are undigested.

http://www.dreamfieldsfoods.com/

Last edited by CAVA1990; 10-26-2012 at 06:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 06:24 PM

147 posts, read 190,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Do you know about Dreamfields? It's low carb pasta available at Safeway and Giant. Tastes like regular pasta but nearly all the carbs are undigested.

I saw that, but was afraid that it was 'gummy'. So I got whole wheat. I shall now invest in DF! Thanks!!

Old 10-27-2012, 07:15 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,684,180 times
If the power goes out.....

Do I drink my chilled white wine first?

ps...FL gulf coast born and raised...we always filled the tub and (cleaned out) garbage cans with water, washed with the water in the tub, flushed with the water in the garbage cans. Filled empty milk cartons (back when they were cartons) with water and froze them, that way your cold stuff stays colder (you move them to the fridge if you are more that 2 days w/o power. Only opened the fridge with parental guidance..dad was a stickler for that one. We didn't buy any groceries that would go bad when there was hurricane in the "box" (500 miles or so out)

Old 10-27-2012, 09:51 AM

147 posts, read 190,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post

ps...FL gulf coast born and raised...we always filled the tub and (cleaned out) garbage cans with water, washed with the water in the tub, flushed with the water in the garbage cans. Filled empty milk cartons (back when they were cartons) with water and froze them, that way your cold stuff stays colder (you move them to the fridge if you are more that 2 days w/o power. Only opened the fridge with parental guidance..dad was a stickler for that one. We didn't buy any groceries that would go bad when there was hurricane in the "box" (500 miles or so out)
I am new to this weather. That is all very good information for a rookie. Thank you!

Old 10-27-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post

I think it's supposed to be in the 40s during the storm so you can probably just put it outside and start downing some hurricanes instead.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:24 PM

8,108 posts, read 12,636,912 times
We went to the gym tonight and then popped over to the store to pick up a gallon of milk. I was surprised at how much water, bread, milk, etc. they had. I had the feeling everything had been bought up.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:31 PM

'Ready for the Storm' - YouTube

Old 10-27-2012, 07:41 PM

4,489 posts, read 9,548,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
We went to the gym tonight and then popped over to the store to pick up a gallon of milk. I was surprised at how much water, bread, milk, etc. they had. I had the feeling everything had been bought up.
It had been at Giant yesterday. My husband and I went grocery shopping on Friday night, as per usual (because we're that awesome), and the entire aisle of bottled water was empty. There were 2 random bottles that looked like they had fallen out of larger packages.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:54 PM

15,879 posts, read 15,236,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Here's my usual pre-power outage routine:

1. Clean gutters (street and roof)
2. Fill propane tank
3. Gas up cars
4. Make sure cell phones stay fully charged
5. Buy batteries for flashlights and radio
6. Stock up on canned goods and liquor
7. Get extra cash
Make sure you have a manual can opener. Luckily I had one on hand when the tornadoes hit us in April. No power for about 20 hours. Gotta' have a manual can opener.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:59 PM

15,879 posts, read 15,236,136 times
We have power outages on a regular basis because of tornadoes and last year I decided to prep for them.

Of all the things I have purchased the lanterns are the best.

They are not expensive and I bought 8 of them (gave 2 away).

I highly recommend them. They are just wonderful if the power goes out and you want to be able to see. I'm a reader and the lanterns allowed me to read while in my hidey hole with two cats.

Amazon.com: Rayovac SE3DLNCOM Sportsman LED Lantern: Home Improvement

I am really, really worried about this storm heading for y'all. Be safe and take good care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia