Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 05:49 PM

1,256 posts, read 4,194,278 times

Advertisements

Just an FYI in case ya hadn't read/heard: FCPS Emergency Page
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 06:00 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,428,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyguy View Post
Just an FYI in case ya hadn't read/heard: FCPS Emergency Page
Best thing to do for the next two days is hunker down and stay put. Use the power now, I'm baking brownies , then when it goes out, find a flashlight and start reading the old fashion way.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:24 PM

1,449 posts, read 3,170,151 times
this whole thing is nothing but bad in my house. BAAAD timing. Several work deadlines, now kid at home, a husband complaining about being a gov't contractor who WON'T just be given the day off, possibility of losing power and internet at such a busy time for work...and I'm pretty sure I'm PMSing. I'm just venting - I obviously want everyone to be safe, but FCPS was already off for 2 days NEXT week. As an hourly employee, my next paycheck is going to SUCK!

BOO!

Old 10-28-2012, 06:44 PM

The real scary part of this is we are now using two of the three build in snow days, IF we even get back on Wednesday, and if there are wide spread power outages there is a possibility of more than just two. Then on top of this they are predicting a hard winter. At least by having these early I can foresee the loss of some of the work days already, which is fine by me, rather do that than go later in June. The days next week will stand, they are parent-teacher conferences plus election. Instead all the teachers are going to be scrambling to redo lessons, etc.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:46 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
this whole thing is nothing but bad in my house. BAAAD timing. Several work deadlines, now kid at home, a husband complaining about being a gov't contractor who WON'T just be given the day off, possibility of losing power and internet at such a busy time for work...and I'm pretty sure I'm PMSing. I'm just venting - I obviously want everyone to be safe, but FCPS was already off for 2 days NEXT week. As an hourly employee, my next paycheck is going to SUCK!

BOO!

Tell him not to be too bitter! Since 2010, many government employees have gone under telework agreements. When the government is closed, we are required to telework. My office will be teleworking tomorrow. If they do not do it, they will be docked annual leave.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:49 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
The real scary part of this is we are now using two of the three build in snow days, IF we even get back on Wednesday, and if there are wide spread power outages there is a possibility of more than just two. Then on top of this they are predicting a hard winter. At least by having these early I can foresee the loss of some of the work days already, which is fine by me, rather do that than go later in June. The days next week will stand, they are parent-teacher conferences plus election. Instead all the teachers are going to be scrambling to redo lessons, etc.
That was my thought too. I realize they didn't really have a choice about closing, but I'm nervous about what's going to happen if we miss a week due to snow in January.

And yeah, I actually had Monday AND Tuesday/Wednesday (we have block schedule) lessons all planned out, and now if we go back to school on Wednesday it's all shot to heck (since I'll see half my kids Wednesday, but not the rest...) They should just give us Wednesday too to keep things even

Old 10-28-2012, 06:52 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Tell him not to be too bitter! Since 2010, many government employees have gone under telework agreements. When the government is closed, we are required to telework. My office will be teleworking tomorrow. If they do not do it, they will be docked annual leave.
Remind me never to apply for a job where you work!

The OPM Status page seems to say that if you're telework-ready AND were going to telework anyway that day, you have to do so. (Which seems fair.) But what if such a person loses power? Hopefully they'd get the administrative leave, since not being able to work wouldn't be their fault.

Here's the text from that page:
"Telework-Ready Employees who are scheduled to perform telework on the day of the announcement or who are required to perform unscheduled telework on a day when Federal offices are closed to the public must telework the entire workday or request leave, or a combination of both, in accordance with their agencies' policies and procedures, subject to any applicable collective bargaining requirements."

Old 10-28-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
That was my thought too. I realize they didn't really have a choice about closing, but I'm nervous about what's going to happen if we miss a week due to snow in January.

And yeah, I actually had Monday AND Tuesday/Wednesday (we have block schedule) lessons all planned out, and now if we go back to school on Wednesday it's all shot to heck (since I'll see half my kids Wednesday, but not the rest...) They should just give us Wednesday too to keep things even
If we have massive power outages, and they can't get the bucket trucks out and people up poles until the winds die down, I won't be surprised if we are still out on Wednesday. After last summer's Direcho there was a good hand full of schools that took a long time to get open again. Didn't matter as school was out but I wonder how the county would handle it if some schools were without power and others were good.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:54 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Remind me never to apply for a job where you work!

The OPM Status page seems to say that if you're telework-ready AND were going to telework anyway that day, you have to do so. (Which seems fair.) But what if such a person loses power? Hopefully they'd get the administrative leave, since not being able to work wouldn't be their fault.

Yes, if a person loses power an exception is made.

We are ad-hoc teleworkers where I am and we had to sign an agreement. Once you do that, you then become "liable" to telework during a shutdown (this came about from Snowmageddon). We all signed the agreement because, heck, overall, it's a sweet deal for us. We aren't "regular" teleworkers but we ad-hoc telework once a week and it is just a great situation.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:00 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Yes, if a person loses power an exception is made.

We are ad-hoc teleworkers where I am and we had to sign an agreement. Once you do that, you then become "liable" to telework during a shutdown (this came about from Snowmageddon). We all signed the agreement because, heck, overall, it's a sweet deal for us. We aren't "regular" teleworkers but we ad-hoc telework once a week and it is just a great situation.
We have a very similar setup. However, the insanely high level of bureaucracy at my agency has meant that neither I nor those I work with have their telework approved. (My agency requires five forms in order to telework, and if one of them has the wrong box checked, or you didn't state which room of the house you'd be working in, etc., it gets rejected.) So my agency's Dilbertian, OCD-level fussiness has in this case produced the opposite of the effect it intended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia