U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-30-2012, 06:23 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA
11,419 posts, read 20,270,607 times
Reputation: 16495

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by starletta8 View Post
Thanks!

This is my first Halloween in a home where I could reasonably expect trick or treaters. Back home, it was always held on weekends.
Not sure where you are from but being from PA (Pgh. area originally) - there was always an official date and time. I checked the Alex. City site and they still say tomorrow night. Personally, I wish there was an official date and length of time (i.e. 5:30 or 6 until 7:30 or 8) then done!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-30-2012, 09:20 PM
 
Location: MID ATLANTIC
7,736 posts, read 18,618,916 times
Reputation: 8399
Zip code 22192 here. We lost power last night around 9 PM.....got a might nippy overnight, found things to do without power, waited for dark to watch dvds on computer. Power came on tonight, 25 hours later. After 10 seconds of shock, lol, we settled right in, like we never lost a day....because that's what it was, a lost day. Now that we can see what happened to our north, I'll never complain about a little chill and boredom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2012, 03:20 AM
 
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
14,131 posts, read 27,091,992 times
Reputation: 6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Not sure where you are from but being from PA (Pgh. area originally) - there was always an official date and time. I checked the Alex. City site and they still say tomorrow night. Personally, I wish there was an official date and length of time (i.e. 5:30 or 6 until 7:30 or 8) then done!
All you have to do is turn off your porch light whenever you're finished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2012, 07:02 AM
 
201 posts, read 422,186 times
Reputation: 248
I have been driving around visiting friends and doing errands and I only saw one tree down out of about a million of them.

Where is all the damage the media tells us is everywhere. The hurricane reporting in NVA is mostly hype. The real damage is up in New Jersey but the media won't admit that in Fairfax County not much happened other than some rain.

Yes some people lost power and our fall leaves fell off a little early this year but MOST people in the DC area were not really affected, except for a day or two off of work which was quite enjoyable.

Last edited by snooper; 10-31-2012 at 07:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2012, 07:07 AM
 
2,675 posts, read 4,537,581 times
Reputation: 2131
Well, Snooper. for those of us going on 40+ hours without power (we moved to a hotel and are racking up charges, but at least a room was available), certainly a lot more happened than rain. Obviously other areas were hit harder, but it's annoying to hear pundits and others dismiss the hassles that a lot of us are still dealing with (with no estimated time of restoration other than "maybe this evening'). Here are the remaining outages:

http://outagemap.dom.com/DomComFlexO...wer/index.html

We also lost power for a long time in the storms earlier this year (in prior years had lost power only once) so will investigate a generator, since it takes DV so long to get around to us, even during less disastrous than expected storms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2012, 07:30 AM
 
5,210 posts, read 9,130,792 times
Reputation: 5884
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooper View Post

Where is all the damage the media tells us is everywhere. The hurricane reporting in NVA is mostly hype. The real damage is up in New Jersey but the media won't admit that in Fairfax County not much happened other than some rain.
I haven't seen anyone in the media saying that Fairfax County was hit as hard as NJ or NY. What station are you watching?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2012, 08:31 AM
 
4,711 posts, read 10,895,918 times
Reputation: 3774
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooper View Post
I have been driving around visiting friends and doing errands and I only saw one tree down out of about a million of them.

Where is all the damage the media tells us is everywhere. The hurricane reporting in NVA is mostly hype. The real damage is up in New Jersey but the media won't admit that in Fairfax County not much happened other than some rain.

Yes some people lost power and our fall leaves fell off a little early this year but MOST people in the DC area were not really affected, except for a day or two off of work which was quite enjoyable.

Of course they hype everything....they're in show business with ad time to sell.

BUT...nobody knows exactly where these storms are going to go exactly. If it had taken a different track and Fairfax County was leveled, I bet folks would be complaining that it wasn't hyped enough.

Monday morning quarterbacks, as usual!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2012, 08:41 AM
 
5,210 posts, read 9,130,792 times
Reputation: 5884
There are still some schools in Fairfax County closed today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2012, 10:31 AM
 
3,552 posts, read 5,561,106 times
Reputation: 3461
I think they do it in conjunction with Giant, Safeway, Food Lion, Home Depot and Lowes "Alright, we need to move all these generators, flashlights and batteries...get Bob Ryan on the horn!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top