U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 08:53 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,031,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
Capitol Weather Gang had this link for a wind map, Wind Map. Very interesting. Apparently half the fishing pier at Ocean City is already gone, and it hasn't even come to shore yet.
Waves are coming over the sea wall in Norfolk. The peak wind is supposed to be from 7pm to midnight. No power restoration efforts will occur until Wednesday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 08:54 AM

8,555 posts, read 12,632,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I'm from California and been through numerous earthquakes and no hurricanes yet...still, it's not like there's that much to prepare for. Stock up on food and water and batteries, and make arrangements so you don't have to go out for 2-3 days. What else can you really do? Not sure how being through numerous hurricanes would make my preparations any different.

Just a light rain so far. Breezy, but not bad winds.
Well, we spoke to them last night, and they were pretty nervous and said they had never been through something like this before. With high winds and heavy rain, they have to keep on top of the storm drains outside our basement. With all of the leaves being blown down, if they get clogged, the rain will pour in. We also told them to move their stuff off the floor of the basement just in case the rain gets so heavy.

And while there's not much you can do to prepare physically (at this point anyway) for the heavy winds, living in a house surrounded by 50-year old trees can be quiet unnerving. I'll never forget lying in bed during Hurricane Isabel, praying one of those tall trees would not fall on the roof. Staying inside hours on end while the wind is blowing is very scary, but I think once you've been through it before you have some amount of comfort level with it.

Lastly, I think the fact that they had to "prepare" for it the last few days was something new to them - go get gas for your cars, clear out the drains, rake the leaves, buy water, get batteries, etc. Living in CA, there's probably the "always be prepared" mentality but not 3 days of "get prepared" craziness that we see with hurricanes, and they seemed a bit overwhelmed with it.

ETA: They are also young parents of two small children. And when you have young kids, everything is a bit scarier.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:56 AM

1,109 posts, read 2,338,078 times
Part of the OC, MD pier wiped out:
Lower Eastern Shore News: Ocean City Pier Before and After Collapse

Old 10-29-2012, 09:01 AM

2,772 posts, read 3,643,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Well, we spoke to them last night, and they were pretty nervous and said they had never been through something like this before. With high winds and heavy rain, they have to keep on top of the storm drains outside our basement. With all of the leaves being blown down, if they get clogged, the rain will pour in. We also told them to move their stuff off the floor of the basement just in case the rain gets so heavy.

And while there's not much you can do to prepare physically (at this point anyway) for the heavy winds, living in a house surrounded by 50-year old trees can be quiet unnerving. I'll never forget lying in bed during Hurricane Isabel, praying one of those tall trees would not fall on the roof. Staying inside hours on end while the wind is blowing is very scary, but I think once you've been through it before you have some amount of comfort level with it.

Lastly, I think the fact that they had to "prepare" for it the last few days was something new to them - go get gas for your cars, clear out the drains, rake the leaves, buy water, get batteries, etc. Living in CA, there's probably the "always be prepared" mentality but not 3 days of "get prepared" craziness that we see with hurricanes, and they seemed a bit overwhelmed with it.

ETA: They are also young parents of two small children. And when you have young kids, everything is a bit scarier.
Tell them to sleep on the bottom floor which does not expect to flood (so if the basement has flooded before obviously dont sleep there). Try to find the main support beam (and associated wall in most houses), and set up sleeping bags there instead of sleeping upstairs. Roofs can be crush quiet easily from a falling tree, but a sturdy structural beam and supports is a whole other thing. Can it still happen? Sure, but its an additional level of safety (the reason they say you to get under a door jam during an earthquake).

If the basement doesnt flood, definitely let them know to sleep there and they will be perfectly fine with nothing to fear.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:07 AM

23,390 posts, read 17,400,194 times
How did this affect the morning commute for those who had to go to the office?

Old 10-29-2012, 09:28 AM

373 posts, read 715,365 times
Capital Weather Gang is liveblogging in addition to the updates on their regular blog. Very important posts include which DC coffeeshops are still open.

Hurricane Sandy: live updates

Old 10-29-2012, 09:29 AM

48 posts, read 167,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Just got back from Target at 7 Corners. Hardly anyone there at 8AM. That'll probably change, though.

And nope, no more hand-crank radios.

Here's a tip for power outages: Votive candles are cheap, sold by the bag, and (because they're low and flat and already set in a metal cup) require no candle holders. You can just put them on plates and leave them around the house, as long as they're not near curtains.
Carlingtonian, I swear I am not correcting you to be a jerk but out of safety concerns only.

What you are describing is a "tea light" (which I love because they will extinguish on their own, though I would still recommend being careful with them).

A votive will melt all over that plate and I wouldn't leave one unattended. A tea light I would leave unattended (within a reasonable distance).

Stay safe, all.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:35 AM

8,555 posts, read 12,632,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
Tell them to sleep on the bottom floor which does not expect to flood (so if the basement has flooded before obviously dont sleep there). Try to find the main support beam (and associated wall in most houses), and set up sleeping bags there instead of sleeping upstairs. Roofs can be crush quiet easily from a falling tree, but a sturdy structural beam and supports is a whole other thing. Can it still happen? Sure, but its an additional level of safety (the reason they say you to get under a door jam during an earthquake).

If the basement doesnt flood, definitely let them know to sleep there and they will be perfectly fine with nothing to fear.
Thanks! Fortunately, we had our basement waterproofed 2 1/2 years ago. So far, it hasn't flooded since the work was done, but I think this storm is going to be the big test. We also added a battery backup sump pump, which we did not have during Hurricane Isabel. I think it lasts for 6 hours, so hopefully, we won't lose power for longer than that. That was our downfall during Isabel, the sump pump stopped working during the power outage, and the water poured in. Our house is a ranch house, so we only have the main level and the basement. Keeping my fingers crossed for them and for us!

Old 10-29-2012, 09:38 AM

4,489 posts, read 9,559,900 times
Well, maybe I'll eat my words and have something to be concerned about...because I didn't clean up any leaves and we don't have a sump pump. Our basement is a walk out basement though, and our yard is terraced down away from the house...so I'm expecting that the water will naturally flow away.

We'll see!

Old 10-29-2012, 09:44 AM

5,738 posts, read 8,947,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TullyApplebottom View Post
Carlingtonian, I swear I am not correcting you to be a jerk but out of safety concerns only.

What you are describing is a "tea light" (which I love because they will extinguish on their own, though I would still recommend being careful with them).

A votive will melt all over that plate and I wouldn't leave one unattended. A tea light I would leave unattended (within a reasonable distance).

Stay safe, all.
Actually--I just looked at the bag, and you're right! They are tea lights. All this time I thought they were votives.

I too see these as pretty safe, since they're set in those metal cups. If I put a few of them on a plate in the middle of the kitchen table, the flame is tiny, and there's nothing above it to ignite.

Thanks for pointing that out; I can see how votives would be dangerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia